Media and punditry

BOF

1 hour ago, a-k said:

BBC headline is that Chelsea comeback to "dent" Villa's Top 4 hopes. Are we not 7 points clear of 5th? Would rather have the points than the games in hand...

The article is even worse, is a part that Emi injury could be damaging for the Olympiakos game on Thursday

Do some research clowns

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, a-k said:

BBC headline is that Chelsea comeback to "dent" Villa's Top 4 hopes. Are we not 7 points clear of 5th? Would rather have the points than the games in hand...

Be interesting if Arsenal dent Tottenham's hopes of top 4 later.

Though I guess they will still have a chance with the games in hand.

On 26/04/2024 at 21:33, Lichfield Dean said:

I just watched it. Staggering. Apparently Newcastle suffered similar last season as well.

How can these pundits stand there and go along with this? It's just madness.

I don't get annoyed anymore, I just laugh at it. 

What I can 100% guarantee is if Spurs get 4th it will all be about Spurs big club mentality showing through and Villa not ready to sit at the CL table, it was a one-off season and normal service will be resumed with Chelsea and Man Utd taking the top 6 places etc

Sky have to pander to their average viewers. Which is the sky 6. 

2 hours ago, a-k said:

That's the media for you. They have to spin every single game as huge and decisive.

Forbes on unfair treatment of Unai. https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakgarnerpurkis/2024/04/27/the-unfair-treatment-aston-villa-has-faced-this-year/

Perhaps Emery’s nationality plays a role in the lack of appreciation for the work he has done at Villa.

When you compare the reaction to Eddie Howe achieving a similar feat at Newcastle United last season the contrast is stark.

The young Englishman was labeled the best coach of 2022, a man Jamie Carragher and others praised as doing such a good job, not even serial league champion Pep Guardiola could better it.

Yet when the spotlight shone on Emery during back-to-back wins over Manchester City and Arsenal in November Carragher called him the “third best coach” in the league-an accolade which was mainly due to his previous trophy wins.

His incredible work in elevating a team that was going nowhere fast under the stewardship of Carragher’s old friend Steven Gerrard certainly hasn’t gone unnoticed in Birmingham where supporters are delighted with the most spectacular end to the season in decades.

And as Emery himself highlighted this has been achieved in the most challenging division on the planet.

"We have in the Premier League the best teams, players and coaches. It is the best league in the world and the most difficult,” he reflected....

• Thanks 3

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They were acting like this was Chelsea 2004-12 though. Even went to Joe Cole mid game so he could congratulate Chelsea on a few shots on target.

TNT really were Chelsea fanboys so will be listening to the World feed next time we play them which is always more objective in the game discussion.

Our feed had Martin Tyler cheering for Chelsea for 90 minutes. It can’t have been any better.

The peak was when Youri got injured and hitting his fist on the turf, him stating that he was clearly frustrated that he might miss the Euros…🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by Hornso

2 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

Good read that. A lot of the British media fixate on his time at Arsenal or relate his successes to English teams they faced in Europe. It’s a true underdog story and transformation. But we are an unfashionable club to the media. It’s honestly baffling. Unai should get manager of the year if we secure the champions league. He won’t. But he should. The turnaround is remarkable. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Muppets on Talkshite saying it wasn't a foul. Absurd

How many examples to you need to understand anything stated on Talk Sport is designed purely to be incorrect and inflammatory to generate premium rate phone calls.  It's barely worth reporting on what they're saying.  It's like moaning about some of the news reports on The Daily Mash. 

• Like 4

When, not if, we get 4th place and CL football, I would like every Villa fan to post all over social media that we did it with 4 of our first team players injured most of the season.

Ramsey, Mings, Kamara, Buemdia.

The media won't mention it, so I'm gonna get it all over the media  might even phone Talkshite and remind them too.

It cannot be overstated what a achievement this will be by Emery and the team overall.

11 hours ago, calcifer said:

I don't get annoyed anymore, I just laugh at it. 

What I can 100% guarantee is if Spurs get 4th it will all be about Spurs big club mentality showing through and Villa not ready to sit at the CL table, it was a one-off season and normal service will be resumed with Chelsea and Man Utd taking the top 6 places etc

Sky have to pander to their average viewers. Which is the sky 6. 

Don't you mean the average age of a sky viewer is 6.....!

My grandson has just turned 7 and one of his relations bought him a liverpool kit for his birthday.....the little s#d seems to be already brainwashed.......feel I have failed as a grandparent 🙁

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Don't you mean the average age of a sky viewer is 6.....!

My grandson has just turned 7 and one of his relations bought him a liverpool kit for his birthday.....the little s#d seems to be already brainwashed.......feel I have failed as a grandparent 🙁

I’d be drawing a massive cock on the front of that in permanent marker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, a-k said:

It shouldn't annoy me but it did.  You couldn't judge the result until the north London derby,, in which they lost and we are  a further point ahead of them.

The media’s ecstatic ardor shown towards dortmund last night and today seems revealing to me. 

I actually think Dortmund simply failed last night. Yes, it was great to see some players running around a lot, and making some nice dribbles, but ultimately, they got almost nothing for the all the effort.  

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Are we in a European semifinal tonight?  You wouldn't know it after a quick glance at BBC football website.

Last English team left in Europe. The only team to bring respectability to English football in Europe this season

It really hurts the media

45 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

The media’s ecstatic ardor shown towards dortmund last night and today seems revealing to me. 

I actually think Dortmund simply failed last night. Yes, it was great to see some players running around a lot, and making some nice dribbles, but ultimately, they got almost nothing for the all the effort.  

But but, Sancho actually played some football, it's front page news.

Heard the stat, he dribbled the football more times in that game than he has in his 58 games for Man United. 

• Like 1

Also on BBC 'Will Villa prioritise the cup over the league'

Being as we're already guaranteed Europa next season which is the Conference top prize I think we're better off not going full tilt for it

50 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

But but, Sancho actually played some football, it's front page news.

Heard the stat, he dribbled the football more times in that game than he has in his 58 games for Man United. 

Not untrue. That's for sure. I'd like to see him back at ManU with ETH, bringing more harmony to Old Trafford. 😉

• Haha 1

Â