Media and punditry

BOF

41 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm saying it's because of her dad, nothing to do with her being a women. People jumping to conclusions again.

You said it.

The number of women who commentate on live games on SSN in the Championship and lower leagues

Keep up.

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

The number of women who commentate on live games on SSN in the Championship and lower leagues. Pien Meulensteen comes in as the new girl and goes straight into the Premier League. No friends in the game I'm sure?

But is she worse? 

And I still think the hardest thing is an accent / voice 

As long as she's got the voice for it who cares, gabby logan, Alex Scott perfectly fine for me, Karen Carney... No way, she just grates 

The comment I'm trying to make is there are lots of other women been working for SSN for years on lower league games, good ones too. Pien walks in having a famous footballing dad and gets the job commentating on PL games straight off. Jobs for the boys and all that. Nothing to do with being a women, it could be a anyone who has just walked in to a top job.

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I always want to know how much tactical insight most pundits have. Because I feel like a lot of fans have more in depth tactical knowledge than some of the dross that is consistently served up by many ex players

What do you mean you want to know? There are no charts or league tables. Make up your own mind on things.

Sometimes I think that the better the player was,  the less tactical insight they have. They would have just gone out and played their natural game, whereas less talented players had to take everything on board to succeed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I always want to know how much tactical insight most pundits have. Because I feel like a lot of fans have more in depth tactical knowledge than some of the dross that is consistently served up by many ex players

I always wonder how much its toned down

You can hear it at the major tournaments every summer that they play to the audience that watch England every 2 years as a passing interest 

MOTD is very casual viewing despite how formal and clever they try to make themselves sound 

Danny Murphy doesn't watch football unless someone pays him to do it which is my biggest problem with him, none of them sound like they have their ear to the ground and know what's going on, if I was covering the villa game this weekend I'd have watched us last weekend, I'd have watched us in the cup, I'd read some articles, I'd even pop on here and the socials to get a feel for the club... Far too many of them bullshit with an arrogant confidence, they put zero research in and it shows badly but they get away with it every time 

For £40k a year full time job I'd be watching every game of football going, these clowns are paid hundreds of thousands a year and don't even watch half the PL teams they actually cover 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Sometimes I think that the better the player was,  the less tactical insight they have. They would have just gone out and played their natural game, whereas less talented players had to take everything on board to succeed.

Oh, yes I completely agree with this. I always think of it like the best players often make below average or terrible coaches / managers, as they were able to rely on their own ability to get through games. 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I always wonder how much its toned down

You can hear it at the major tournaments every summer that they play to the audience that watch England every 2 years as a passing interest 

MOTD is very casual viewing despite how formal and clever they try to make themselves sound 

Danny Murphy doesn't watch football unless someone pays him to do it which is my biggest problem with him, none of them sound like they have their ear to the ground and know what's going on, if I was covering the villa game this weekend I'd have watched us last weekend, I'd have watched us in the cup, I'd read some articles, I'd even pop on here and the socials to get a feel for the club... Far too many of them bullshit with an arrogant confidence, they put zero research in and it shows badly but they get away with it every time 

For £40k a year full time job I'd be watching every game of football going, these clowns are paid hundreds of thousands a year and don't even watch half the PL teams they actually cover 

oh, yeah I definitely can see the arguments for how toned down the analysis is. I feel like some certain pundits have the tactical knowledge to go super in depth with everything, and that might not be good for ratings. There are also definitely pundits that I can tell who have almost zero clue when it comes to tactics. It's obvious. 

Couldn't agree more with this in the bold. Being able to watch and analyze games would be an amazing opportunity, and yet it's so completely obvious that some don't do any in-game research before they cover teams. They're like, "oh, I have a lot of faith that Stevie G will be able to turn it around, we can see that from his playing career". This sort of stuff really grinds my gears, you should be talking about their managerial career, not their playing career. 

• Like 1

Out of control? He's walking along, minding his own business saying hello to people, then gets taunted and looks like he's grabbed while the route in front of him is blocked and he can't just keep walking. Not exactly a clear view but I don't see what he's doing wrong there

• Like 3

He's just on the end of standard crap footie banter. I think he gets a hand shake just before and isn't really grabbed.

There's something not right about that guy. I think he hides under 'banter' but I think he has a really nasty side. Something very unpleasant going on behind the facade and I've always felt that 

I've said it here before I think but it's a socialogical? Construct called the 'myth of talent'. In that they were very good at one aspect of a certain thing and the belief is that they can easily transfer it to another aspect of the same skill or sport. The commonest is being a sportman and then being a coach or pundit in the same sport. Some relation, but requiring a completely different set of skills. 

The best example is its completely normal to think that a great player will be a great manager. Using the same logic, Zidane should know what it takes to design one of the best footballs the world has ever seen. He's kicked 50,000 of them a million times, he's got the experience. Same as football boots. No poindexter textile designer can compare to his career at the highest level. 

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

He's just on the end of standard crap footie banter. I think he gets a hand shake just before and isn't really grabbed.

There's something not right about that guy. I think he hides under 'banter' but I think he has a really nasty side. Something very unpleasant going on behind the facade and I've always felt that 

He's just a scumbag on our television.

I still cannot believe he survived the spitting incident.

Edited by Mr_Dogg

I don't see much wrong there, to be honest.  I think we're a very similar proposition to Newcastle - the difference being that they've got the momentum and are on the up whereas we've somewhat stagnated.  Maybe Neville is over-egging Newcastle a bit much there?  But saying he doesn't think Pochettino would go to Villa isn't exactly an outrageous statement.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't see much wrong there, to be honest.  I think we're a very similar proposition to Newcastle - the difference being that they've got the momentum and are on the up whereas we've somewhat stagnated.  Maybe Neville is over-egging Newcastle a bit much there?  But saying he doesn't think Pochettino would go to Villa isn't exactly an outrageous statement.

Yeah there's absolutely nothing wrong with what's said there.

Ornstein sounds like he knows his stuff, he came across like he reads some of the more well rounded opinions on VT 

Me saying before I think too many pundits sound like they dont watch football or have a general feel for a club that's exactly what I mean, he sounds like he knows us 

• Like 1

Â