Media and punditry

BOF

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I mean, mens football is for men through right? 

I can confirm this to be true. 

Although this can become quite problematic in a progressive society with 70 or so genders. 🤔

• Haha 1

I think Souness is an out of touch dinosaur as much as the next guy, but he's just spouting cliches there. Nothing we haven't seen a million times on Sky before. The lack of self awareness to say this right next to a woman is funny though.

5 hours ago, est1874 said:

Yes I'm not sure why nobody in the studio was capable of interrupting him with "Actually Graeme, you're wrong there, because it's not 'a man's game' now, is it? We've evolved past that some time ago. Not sure if you've heard, but they let women play now."

It's a very British quality though, just letting the old man have his say and not being willing to put him in his place. Stiff upper lip and all that. Manners above all other things. Keep calm and carry on. 

The host said almost exactly that after his insane ramblings finished. I belive his words were "it's a woman's game too".

You could debate with him but he'd just say "what have you achieved to have so much to say" like he did to Tyrone. He'd then go back to being the arsehole that he is. Hence, he needs binning

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Souness is a dinosaur and should be dropped. If you compare him to  Ally Mccoist who is only about 10 years younger, is so much more in tune with modern football, plus is actually a nice guy. 

I don't think being a "dinosaur" is about age, really. Some people are just idiots with a defined world view and they'll never change. It's as common in idiots in their 20s and 30s as it is in their 60s, it's just the views become more and more incongruous

• Like 2

Talksport strike gold again

A week after they sign him up he's had a row with mings and now this 

Earned his pay already

FWIW I don't think there's much wrong with what he said, its not sexist or homophobic, I take it as a reference to men vs boys and stronger more physical "men" being how we want the game played, he means it's not a kids game it's a mans game, there's no meaning of not for women in that 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

If only there was a word for non-children humans that didn't exclude half of non-children humans. We'll come up with one at some point.

I don't think he's deliberately sexist, or racist, with genuine ill-intent. I just think he's a thick word removed. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

If only there was a word for non-children humans that didn't exclude half of non-children humans. We'll come up with one at some point.

I don't think he's deliberately sexist, or racist, with genuine ill-intent. I just think he's a thick word removed. 

Im pretty sure it's still literally called mens football or mens 1st team and boys football, its not adults football

To say "this is men's football" in reference to it should be more physical than boys football is still perfectly acceptable 

He is a thick word removed but I don't think he's said anything wrong, I think he's used common terminology still used within football, the assumption that I think is wrong is that he's used "men" in a comparison to women and I don't think he has 

Waiting and waiting and waiting during the Guardian Football Weekly podcast for discussion of the Villa-Everton match ... and it doesn't event merit a mere mention. I don't recall many episodes when there's not even an effort to mention us.  I hate the anti-Midlands bias of Britain's media establishment.  

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

He should be sacked as a pundit for being miserable and angry all the time and being horrible to listen to, not because he has shitty personal views 

Not to mention the way he can sit through an entire 90 minutes of football for which he is being paid to analyse and the number of times I've heard him refer to players by their number or the 'Japanese lad for Arsenal' or whatever.  He literally can't even be arsed to learn their names or even jot them down during the match for later reference.  He was lucky to survive his comment about the 'Latins'.

• Like 2

Reading the sports pages of i newspaper and found these 2 headlines on the same page interesting 

"what is the point of PSGs and Bayerns dominance?" 

"super powers are in for a bumpy ride as new wave of smart clubs emerge" 

Long story short it's about how the PL is so good because Palace, Fulham, Leeds, Brighton and Brentford will all challenge for CL places but the French and German leagues are so bad because of PSG and bayern... This is what the media do with the PL, absolutely no mention of man City pissing the league (again) and the illusion of these clubs competing, those 5 clubs will win **** all this season 

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Reading the sports pages of i newspaper and found these 2 headlines on the same page interesting 

Long story short it's about how the PL is so good because Palace, Fulham, Leeds, Brighton and Brentford will all challenge for CL places but the French and German leagues are so bad because of PSG and bayern... This is what the media do with the PL, absolutely no mention of man City pissing the league (again) and the illusion of these clubs competing, those 5 clubs will win **** all this season 

Hahaha, wtf? 

32 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

As I said before Bayern dropped more points playing fewer games last season than City and Liverpool but one is a boring farmers league

Haaland 3 goals already 😂

Edited by Zatman

Â