Media and punditry

BOF

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

They ascribe this mystique to Newcaslte and St James' Park in a way they simply don't do to other clubs (except Liverpool and Man United).

Has nearly always been like this from the media its bizarre

Only time was from 2019-2021 when the fans were ungrateful for not respecting an elite manager like Steve Bruce

• Like 1

10 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Why would Antonio be on MotD a couple of hours after playing Man U and losing. Current players should not be pundits, he'll be commentating on his own game???

A bit strange. He's lining himself up for a job in the media, already has a podcast.

On 17/10/2022 at 07:42, Davkaus said:

To be honest, I find it utterly grotesque. Tens of thousands of Americans gathering in place to have a sing song, watch the Big Game and wave their Arsenal and Liverpool flags. The PL is far, far too big and global. Great for certain people's wallets, shit for "legacy" fans, and shit for the success of local teams in that country.

The PL receives something like $430 million in grotesque American broadcasting fees, too, annually, right? I suppose it will be stinking up a lot of very British bank accounts. I can guarantee you it won’t be getting spent in South Philly. 

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Martinez has been very solid since his first 2 or 3 games but Souness still thinks he isnt up to much as he is small

Maguire must be world class because he is taller

"Graham can you give us a full in depth tactical analysis as to why martinez has come in and performed better than England's £80m maguire and Frances CL and World cup winning Varane?"

"the dirty foreigner isn't good enough for the PL, he's too small"

That's a no Souness can't then... He's a clown, incapable of the analysis so goes for the angry soundbite instead and people lap up it

On 18/10/2022 at 02:38, HanoiVillan said:

I mean part of the reason they don't have things like that here is that British people would never ever agree to line up for a mass smiley photograph and wave placards saying 'I love Mark Chapman' or whatever. Maybe it would be better if we did - I guess it would be less aggro at least - but we won't and there's no point pretending we could conjure that type of culture out of thin air. 

Please don’t. It would be bad. It’s awful when English people try to act “American.” It comes out all wrong and kills unborn English setter puppies, and we don’t want to see that. 

9D0DF615-EB46-45E9-8715-552E018F829E.jpeg

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 2

He is the 2nd most expensive signing in their history so I'd imagine he is being held to high standards there. He definitely would not have been ready to step up to PL football after only one season of senior football in a weak league (mad Europa League run aside). Ajax is a good place for him to develop so I wouldn't write him off yet.

I'm not normally one for the whole you can't criticise someone who's better than you argument, and I get this is TalkSport's schtick, but who the **** are Jermaine Pennant and Jamie O'Hara to be debating whether Pique is one of the greatest defenders ever!?

Personally I would probably say he isn't, but to be so dismissive of it is ridiculous, you make the argument by saying he's not as good as Maldini or Nesta or Barini or Beckenbauer or Moore or McGrath and so on, not by just going "yeah well he played with good players", then how come both of you looked so shit?

• Like 1

Some prat from the office (spurs fan) has just messaged me and said that after watching the 3min sky highlights of todays game it’s looks like we got lucky, they were all over us. 

Having been down there today watching us smashing them I thought he was taking the piss. But I watched it and aside from our 3 goals it’s just 2mins of UTD. 

How the flipping hell do these people have jobs? 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Some prat from the office (spurs fan) has just messaged me and said that after watching the 3min sky highlights of todays game it’s looks like we got lucky, they were all over us. 

Having been down there today watching us smashing them I thought he was taking the piss. But I watched it and aside from our 3 goals it’s just 2mins of UTD. 

because nobody cares about us or Everton or Fulham etc. They think the football lovers want to see United or other Sky 6 teams and just talk about them 

On 06/11/2022 at 20:44, av1 said:

To be fair, it was a 3 mins highlight so wasn't really expecting too much from it, the guy is a moron anyway of he/she is judging on the better team from a 3mins clip. What's worse for me was MOTD last night, the highlight and  analysis were appalling and pretty much was Manure was shite, let's move on to Southampton Vs Newcastle . They didn't even show the Martinez elbow, or prob been told not to show.

Was listening to the Guardian podcast and yet again pretty much the same narrative of them bein shite. But at least they do subtlely rip into Stevie G when Beeps and Sky are a bit too polite to do so.

• Like 1

Â