Media and punditry

BOF

The level of tactical organisation required to pull this off is phenomenal. It underlines the reality that football is less and less a battle between individuals, and more and more a contest of systems. At some point maybe the ex-pros who analyse the game on television will understand this and stop judging players by the standards of a sport that no longer exists.

This change will not happen, simply because the pundits are not managers (or are failed managers) and don't understand the game the way that Guardiola or Klopp do. If they did, they would be managers themselves.

I like the article, however it looks at the topic from a numbers perspective. There is still an argument there that some players lack desire. Because the game progresses so much, one or two bad apples who fail to track the run or put the "Sterling" tackle in, its enough to affect the score. 

Keane never said it's the whole United team who are guilty, just some players, so in a way the article argues against something that isn't strictly true. And Keane does have a point; Liverpool or City are a unit. Man U are not, because some players fail to "put the boot in" where are you will never see that in a Guardiola side.

Edited by Mic09

Jamie Carragher has spent the last 5 minutes squealing on Swedish telly about some Liverpool nonsense.

I gave it 10 seconds before i had to mute the TV. Guy is a moron.

That high pitch whiny voice is a Liverpool thing right? Gerrard has the same handicap.

Edit: Oh FFS he's back again.

Edited by sne

I have a big problem with the way the fans love him." "He started playing well because he wanted to leave." "Michael Owen did far more for this club than he ever did." "His antics against Liverpool showed no respect."

quotes from Robbie Fowler tonight on Suarez 

On 04/05/2019 at 09:13, sne said:

All is not lost it would seem.

An excellent article by Ken Early about the evolution of English football over the last 10 or so years.

This should be mandatory reading for everyone.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/ken-early-football-s-new-age-neutralises-philosophies-of-the-past-1.3874358

Great article. 

Should be mandatory reading especially for those who insist City and Liverpool are only doing what they’re doing because the rest of the league are awful. 

• Like 2

On 04/05/2019 at 16:13, sne said:

All is not lost it would seem.

An excellent article by Ken Early about the evolution of English football over the last 10 or so years.

This should be mandatory reading for everyone.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/ken-early-football-s-new-age-neutralises-philosophies-of-the-past-1.3874358

Exceptional article. Thanks for posting!

• Thanks 1

The misrepresentation of events of the Leeds match in the media annoys me

Villa weren't incensed that Leeds didn't put the ball out when Kodjia was down injured, it was that they Leeds player pretended he was going to put it out and then played the assist. He dummied putting it out and everyone stopped playing, and for that split second the game was stopped. And then Leeds started again behind everyone's back.

It wasn't that Villa were upset the ball hadn't gone out for Kodjia to get treatment. It was the dummy.

If Leeds had gone on to score having just continued to play with Kodjia down injured, there would have been some unrest, but it would have been accepted. There is no mention of the dummy in the articles about the match, most likely because most of the sports journalists haven't seen it, but are just basing their story on other articles about it.

I know it's a few weeks old now, but Bielsa is still talking about it, and it's being reported on again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I can't be the only person who is just so over Chris Sutton's 'belligerent contrarian' persona that he keeps doing?

I got in the car earlier, turned the engine on, it went to 6-0-6, here is genuinely what I heard:

PRESENTER: I've got a text here from Graham, he says that the board made a mistake, and that the only reason Solskjaer got the job was a fluky win against PS-

SUTTON (bellowing, purple vein throbbing in his temple, possibly tearing shirt off) : I DON'T REMEMBER GRAHAM SAYING THAT AT THE TIME. I MEAN, IT'S A BIT EASY TO SAY THAT KNOW, BUT I DON'T REMEMBER GRAHAM SAYING IT WAS A BAD APPOINTMENT AT THE TIME-

-off goes the car radio. 

You have to love the implication that Chris Sutton is monitoring the social media output of literally everyone in the nation so that he can credibly accuse people texting the show he's on of hypocrisy or indecisiveness or whatever crime it is that 'Graham' is supposed to have committed here. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I can't be the only person who is just so over Chris Sutton's 'belligerent contrarian' persona that he keeps doing?

I got in the car earlier, turned the engine on, it went to 6-0-6, here is genuinely what I heard:

PRESENTER: I've got a text here from Graham, he says that the board made a mistake, and that the only reason Solskjaer got the job was a fluky win against PS-

SUTTON (bellowing, purple vein throbbing in his temple, possibly tearing shirt off) : I DON'T REMEMBER GRAHAM SAYING THAT AT THE TIME. I MEAN, IT'S A BIT EASY TO SAY THAT KNOW, BUT I DON'T REMEMBER GRAHAM SAYING IT WAS A BAD APPOINTMENT AT THE TIME-

-off goes the car radio. 

You have to love the implication that Chris Sutton is monitoring the social media output of literally everyone in the nation so that he can credibly accuse people texting the show he's on of hypocrisy or indecisiveness or whatever crime it is that 'Graham' is supposed to have committed here. 

Lets hope Graham texts Sutton and calls him a word removed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Lets hope Graham texts Sutton and calls him a word removed.

See, I used to like Sutton as a player and thought he was not bad, head down and decent goalscorer etc. But **** me, since i've seen and heard him on TV and Radio.. what a complete prick the guy is!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Jermaine Jenas seems to get worse, when he first came out he seemed a really good pundit. Commentating today he was just chatting inane none sense 

What summed him up was when he called David Silva's goal, a dragged and deflected shot, a 'great strike'. He is probably the worst active pundit and commentator in football and that has taken some doing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Jermaine Jenas seems to get worse, when he first came out he seemed a really good pundit. Commentating today he was just chatting inane none sense 

I’ve thought this recently. Jenas is bad, but I have a vague memory of him being ok at the start. Maybe it was just because he was new and not Lawro that made me think he was ok.

I’d rather they promote the likes of Kevin Kilbane to the bigger games. I don’t find him particularly insightful but he seems like a decent sort and not insufferable like the majority of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Nah Jenas always a dick, no idea why works for BBC he is that bad. Wasn't even a good player 

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

What summed him up was when he called David Silva's goal, a dragged and deflected shot, a 'great strike'. He is probably the worst active pundit and commentator in football and that has taken some doing.

He seems to try to make average goals into something they're not. 

He did the same in the champions league when Son scored a goal against City. It wasn't a bad goal, but the final shot was quite a weak shot that Ederson really should have saved. It went straight through him.

Yet Jenas was spouting stuff about how good the strike was and how much power it had and how Ederson had no chance of saving it.

It's really weird.

Gary Birtles is still the worst for me. I've never known a commentator who is as negative and miserable as him, and he just goes on and on. 

A player will miss a chance that on another day he would maybe score, Gary will then go hyperbole on how he's a professional footballer, it's embarrassing that he couldn't put it away. And you'll hear about it for the whole 90 minutes. 

Edited by kurtsimonw

6 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Gary Birtles is still the worst for me. I've never known a commentator who is as negative and miserable as him, and he just goes on and on. 

A player will miss a chance that on another day he would maybe score, Gary will then go hyperbole on how he's a professional football, it's embarrassing that he couldn't out it away. And you'll hear about it for the whole 90 minutes. 

Birtles was such a good forward he went an entire season at United without scoring. Playing as a striker

• Haha 1

The clickbait that is the Birmingham mails Twitter feed

Today "derby player glad he shunned Aston villa offer"

Actual linked article is just Wilson saying he is happy with he's loan to derby. **** all about him "shunning" a move to villa

Â