Media and punditry

BOF

I have something on my phone called News Republic. It's usually really shitty stories about stupid stuff but the comments are funny and it's easy to troll.

Yesterday there was something on there about Bristol City fans. Apparently they want Villa and Derby, and even Dirty Leeds, thrown out of "the league" for violating FFP.

There were some fan comments quoted. Seems Bristol really don't like the Villa, strange as I think they are harmless nonentities. Must be because we keep beating them.

Anyway, tough titty Bristol Shitty.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

I have something on my phone called News Republic. It's usually really shitty stories about stupid stuff but the comments are funny and it's easy to troll.

Yesterday there was something on there about Bristol City fans. Apparently they want Villa and Derby, and even Dirty Leeds, thrown out of "the league" for violating FFP.

There were some fan comments quoted. Seems Bristol really don't like the Villa, strange as I think they are harmless nonentities. Must be because we keep beating them.

Anyway, tough titty Bristol Shitty.

Seems amazing that, given the fans of so many other clubs seem absolutely positive that we've broken FFP rules, that we haven't been done for it.

Weird. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Seems amazing that, given the fans of so many other clubs seem absolutely positive that we've broken FFP rules, that we haven't been done for it.

Weird. 

It's because Prince William and Tom Hanks are conspiring to get the league to turn a blind eye.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's because Prince William and Tom Hanks are conspiring to get the league to turn a blind eye.

Don't forget John Terry has the EFL in his pocket and we bribe all the officials. 

Mourinho and Wenger did punditry together for the Champions League final, not something I ever imagined and seemed to agree on lots of things 

Ive seen some of Mourinho punditry and as expected from a top manager he is quite brilliant, puts Carragher and Neville to shame

Just watching the women’s football, god the BBC commentary team are terrible. Jonathan Pearce, of course goes without saying. He always tries to make jokes about the other commentator as if to say to listener look I do know these outside of work as well. As for Sue Smith, monotone, boring and lacking in knowledge. When it went to VAR, she was saying “well they’ve obviously seen stuff I haven’t as I think it’s on”, just as they were showing she was off! 

The pundits on the other hand do well. Alex Scott keeping up her excellent work and then our very own Dion. 

22 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Just watching the women’s football, god the BBC commentary team are terrible. Jonathan Pearce, of course goes without saying. He always tries to make jokes about the other commentator as if to say to listener look I do know these outside of work as well. As for Sue Smith, monotone, boring and lacking in knowledge. When it went to VAR, she was saying “well they’ve obviously seen stuff I haven’t as I think it’s on”, just as they were showing she was off! 

The pundits on the other hand do well. Alex Scott keeping up her excellent work and then our very own Dion. 

Surprised they havent rolled out Lawro

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

Very interesting.

What I always wondered is why can't professional footballers beat the first man. They are pros and do crosses of similar nature hundreds of times on weekly basis, yet fail to beat the first man.

My slightly obese mate who wakes up on a Sunday morning after 5 pints and three shots and a kebab from the previous night does not fail to beat the first man when we play Sunday league.

Why?

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Very interesting.

What I always wondered is why can't professional footballers beat the first man. 

My slightly obese mate who wakes up on a Sunday morning after 5 pints and three shots and a kebab from the previous night does not fail to beat the first man when we play Sunday league.

Why?

Seems it's because they are trying to whip it in at a shallow angle with pace and there is much less margin for error than just hoisting it in.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

Seems it's because they are trying to whip it in at a shallow angle with pace and there is much less margin for error than just hoisting it in.

Yeah this.

I'm sure any professional could beat the first man if their only goal was to beat the first man and get the ball in the box. But you don't score goals by floating a ball in (Ashley Westwood, take note)

The best chance is, as you say, usually to whip a ball in with pace and curl and a shallower angle.

It's the same as taking a free kick. Clearing the wall is a piece of piss if all you want to do is clear the wall. but if you want to clear the wall AND get it on target AND give it enough pace to beat a professional goalkeeper then it's suddenly much harder.

29 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Very interesting.

What I always wondered is why can't professional footballers beat the first man. They are pros and do crosses of similar nature hundreds of times on weekly basis, yet fail to beat the first man.

Why?

Because the goalkeepers in Sunday league don't just catch every corner which is gently floated into the box. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Because the goalkeepers in Sunday league don't just catch every corner which is gently floated into the box. 

I get that, but that Eriksen statistic is simply shocking. Regardless of Sunday League, I think there is a real problem in players not being able to beat the first man.

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I get that, but that Eriksen statistic is simply shocking. Regardless of Sunday League, I think there is a real problem in players not being able to beat the first man.

The fact that so many players do it is in itself proof that it's not a problem, imo.

Â