Media and punditry

BOF

I've signed up too, I like the idea of The Athletic so I figured I'd support it. Only read the Villa stuff so far (I only signed up an hour ago) but this quote struck me as a bit lazy. 

Defensively, though, Villa must be better. Despite an end-of-season turnaround, they were just far too fragile at the back, conceding 61 goals in 2018-19.

Wasn't the end of season turnaround kind of the point? We conceded 15 goals in 17 games after the January window closed which was the second best in the division during that time period, and of those 15 were two conceded by our reserves in the dead rubber against Norwich just before the playoffs started and the goal which Leeds 'scored' against us at Elland Road. 

All the "must be better" criticism is aimed at a squad which went into the season with one fit central defender. For a bloke who is supposed to know the club writing an article aimed primarily at people who were paying attention to Villa last season this strikes me as being a bit crap. It's like when Alan Shearer has been fed a stat by a researcher on MotD and he's going to use it regardless of how much sense it makes. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

It doesn't bother me who he supports. It is clear though that he isn't as good a writer as some of the others. I've spent hours today reading articles on The Atlantic and some of them are superb.  

That's the second time you've mentioned The Atlantic . . . is their Gregg Evans the NATO correspondent or something? :P

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I've signed up too, I like the idea of The Athletic so I figured I'd support it. Only read the Villa stuff so far (I only signed up an hour ago) but this quote struck me as a bit lazy. 

Wasn't the end of season turnaround kind of the point? We conceded 15 goals in 17 games after the January window closed which was the second best in the division during that time period, and of those 15 were two conceded by our reserves in the dead rubber against Norwich just before the playoffs started and the goal which Leeds 'scored' against us at Elland Road. 

All the "must be better" criticism is aimed at a squad which went into the season with one fit central defender. For a bloke who is supposed to know the club writing an article aimed primarily at people who were paying attention to Villa last season this strikes me as being a bit crap. It's like when Alan Shearer has been fed a stat by a researcher on MotD and he's going to use it regardless of how much sense it makes. 

Maybe contact them and let them know your thoughts.

I'm doing the same. The guy is garbage.

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's the second time you've mentioned The Atlantic . . . is their Gregg Evans the NATO correspondent or something? :P

No wonder his articles are below par, he's been writing them for the wrong site. If he can't get a simple detail like that right, what chance does he stand on Villa matters?

• Haha 1

Sky have got Nigel Reo-Coker as a pundit.

That distant noise you can hear is the sound of the ex player barrel being scraped.

He also looks exceedingly uncomfortable, has no charisma at all, and currently is stood an awkwardly long away from Jamie Redknapp and van der Vaart, like he's scared of them or he smells.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

That distant noise you can hear is the sound of the ex player barrel being scraped.

He also looks exceedingly uncomfortable, has no charisma at all, and currently is stood an awkwardly long away from Jamie Redknapp and van der Vaart, like he's scared of them or he smells.

Noticed this. Like he was a shit footballer and collected their stickers as a child. 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Should get MON on with him next week. 

He’s fully booked, getting DOL instead. 

20 hours ago, Chindie said:

In all honesty he did a decent job, much better than Redknapp.

• Like 1

For the life of me I cannot understand how Liam Rosenior is not promoted to Premier League games.  His commentary is streets ahead of anyone else I have seen on any football show. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

For the life of me I cannot understand how Liam Rosenior is not promoted to Premier League games.  His commentary is streets ahead of anyone else I have seen on any football show. 

Probably cos he's too good and would show the current clowns up to no end whilst they'd look down on him for not having the career they did.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Probably cos he's too good and would show the current clowns up to no end whilst they'd look down on him for not having the career they did.

More likely because less people will recognise him.

Majority of football fans don't care about good analysis and punditry. They care about what that bloke that used to play for Man Utd or Chelsea thinks about the game.

I'd love proper football journalists to be pundits on shows. But nobody would watch it, unfortunately.

Â