Media and punditry

BOF

Agreed, again.

Unfortunately, Joe Public would see a football journalist and say "who the **** is this guy? He's never played football OR been on Strictly Come Dancing!"
I think ex players is catering to the masses.

You find, more broadly, in our types of societies, that there's a thing such as the 'myth of talent'. Since someone was great in one domain (footballer), they will be great in another (punditry or football administrator). It just doesn't always follow and I'd say that a great pundit who was a former player is an exception to the rule. 

• Like 1

That MoTD extra show on Sunday afternoon that CED mentions is quite good and it does benefit from having a mixture of former players and writers. 

My only gripe with that show is that because it's also on Radio 5live, they don't show any highlights. So they can discuss at length an incident that may have occurred on the Saturday but because listeners can't see it they've decided to level the playing field and not show it at all. 

They could replay an incident or a goal and talk over it so listeners don't have to listen to the commentary. Ruins an otherwise decent show.

That's my "points of view" rant over.

I see Dwight Yorke this morning is blaming the Villa board for "Villa decline", funny that, he didn't mention this when he put his name forward for the job 2 weeks ago. Wonder what has changed since those two weeks hmm.. Just like Stan Collymore they all have their own agendas. 

• Like 3

Agreed, again.

Unfortunately, Joe Public would see a football journalist and say "who the **** is this guy? He's never played football OR been on Strictly Come Dancing!"

Would they?

Even if they did, just as everyone absolutely hated the idea of Gary Neville the pundit, they would have to come round eventually...

Including Liverpool fans.

• Like 1

Agreed, again.

Would they?

Even if they did, just as everyone absolutely hated the idea of Gary Neville the pundit, they would have to come round eventually...

This is totally correct, but not enough broadcasters are willing to give it a go.

Sky, as usual, are the leaders in this and found something special in Neville.

Others are just taking time to catch up.

Isn't the problem simply that by and large, footballers are thick?  I don't know how many of them even bother with media training before becoming pundits, and producers seem to just want big names to sit on their sofa.  I quite like on BT Sport on Champions League nights they have a Soccer Saturday style programme with James Richardson and some European journalists talking through all the goals and incidents, with Howard Webb talking about the refereeing decisions logically and fairly.  In fact I think BT Sport does a very good job on the whole.

Agreed, again.

Would they?

Yep I agree.

But I think people like the BBC would be too afraid of the "er ma gerd I've never heard of Jonathan Wilson before!!!!!"

I would absolutely love the change to be made though.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Linekar gets worse... Inter jerk g Vardy, he us obviously fishing for compliments about himself... "It's been years since Leicester had a top class finisher (smug smile)"... Vardy fair play ignores it and says I just keep working hard 

That was the single most pointless interview in the history of all media, ever. Vardy said absolutely nothing except platitudes. Complete waste of time. 

I'm disappointed but not surprised at how the media seem to be completely ignoring confidence when they talk about our shameful season. Obviously there are many factors at play but I don't think I've ever heard confidence mentioned once when that clearly is a big issue for us.

Presumably they don't mention confidence because that would mean tacitly admitting that Sherwood is partially to blame for our position.

Edited by Mantis

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt Higginbotham has a chance of getting the job as he not a big name or played for a big club for a long time.

Im sure they will bring in an ex-Liverpool player as not enough of them on tv at moment

• Like 2

Â