Media and punditry

BOF

I'm enjoying that, even when we're playing Arsenal which is the team that one of them supports, the guys on the Ramble still can't bring themselves to talk about Villa on their preview show :D

Absolutely destroyed on the BBC preview show, we're definitely relegated according to all pundits.

I don't think they have actually watched much of us though, Lawrenson repeating "where are the goals coming from", but our biggest issue is defence. Then they started to compare the strength of the Premier League vs Bundesliga and Primera, before one pundit essentially admitted that he doesn't watch the Spanish league unless Barca or Real are playing. Kind of makes your opinion completely void, mate.

Edited by a m ole

I'll say it: if we had Benteke, we wouldn't be bottom. He kept us up quite frankly. He gave the team a focal point and he scored goals out of nothing. He single-handedly ripped teams up. He occupied defenders and left space for others and more often than not he could find players in space too. He was the difference.

Sure, he didn't know the offside rule, and sometimes had no first touch, and went through long periods of not giving a ****, but he was there when it mattered and we just don't have that quality any more and it is that lack of quality which separates us from the rest.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 2

I don't think he was particularly incredible.  Very, very good for us yes, but not a world beater like some like to think.

What he did for us is give us a game plan.  He's a big presence, as has been said, he creates space for others because of his physicality (and I include pace in that).  We don't have that presence now, so we don't have a game plan.

He was ours, and he's gone, we struggle to create clear goal scoring opportunities, which is no big surprise because Villa lack movement off the ball.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't think he was particularly incredible.  Very, very good for us yes, but not a world beater like some like to think.

What he did for us is give us a game plan.  He's a big presence, as has been said, he creates space for others because of his physicality (and I include pace in that).  We don't have that presence now, so we don't have a game plan.

He was ours, and he's gone, we struggle to create clear goal scoring opportunities, which is no big surprise because Villa lack movement off the ball.

Wasn't just his presence. some of the goals were out of this world.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Its not just Benteke being the reason we will be going down, we have no defence at all.

actually the biggest problem is we have no midfield at all

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

what souness saying about grealish yesterday?

did he honestly not know who he was and then pronounce his name wrong several times on purpose or was his knowledge of us genuinely that bad?

I think the point he was making (and to be honest, correctly), is that Grealish isn't our saviour. and still hasn't really done anything to prove he's going to make it. A dozen good games, doesn't make you a star. I agree 100%, to be fair. Plus it's really not fair to put that pressure on his shoulders. 

Edited by dAVe80

We do really miss Benteke (who wouldn't? He's not far from world class) but we've got more problems than just that. I mean, he was injured/unfit/out of form until about March last season and weren't anywhere near as bad as we have been this season.

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

I think the point he was making (and to be honest, correctly), is that Grealish isn't our saviour. and still hasn't really done anything to prove he's going to make it. A dozen good games, doesn't make you a star. I agree 100%, to be fair. Plus it's really not fair to put that pressure on his shoulders. 

He hit the nail on the head. It was wonderful stuff.

45 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I cant remember time we had a good midfield, maybe 2009/10

The Houllier season was the last time we had a decent midfield, it's been downhill since then

• 2 weeks later...
Â