Media and punditry

BOF

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

Weird flex.

Neville has been on commentary tonight saying Villa fully deserve 4th place and what an achievement it is for us.

Indeed. Neville was one of the few (only) pundits that predicted Villa would finish fourth at the start of the season.

19 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Indeed. Neville was one of the few (only) pundits that predicted Villa would finish fourth at the start of the season.

I think he has us finishing 6th (which was still higher than most... possibly including myself, I'll have to check the predictions thread!).

Troy Townsend definitely predicted us to come 4th - he'll be so smug.

16 hours ago, Hornso said:

I don't know about that. The media companies pay a shitload of cash to broadcast the Premier League. It's in their best interests not to tarnish it with talk of cheating. They want you to believe it's the best league in the world. They are quite happy to stick their head in the sand until they have to talk about it (punishment being handed out).

Exactly and very well put. They'll report on it if ever the verdict is reached, but then hope it goes away without damaging their product.

Martin Samuel of The Times has penned an article about us, titled “why don’t the premier league want Aston Villa to thrive in europe”….well worth a read,

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/sport/football/article/why-doesnt-the-premier-league-want-aston-villa-to-thrive-in-europe-vtrwmdx7x

or

https://archive.ph/m398v#selection-2685.0-2691.467

With the possible exception of the summer of 2021, when Manchester City paid £100million for Jack Grealish, it is hard to imagine that Aston Villa have ever been so flush.

The bounty of a fourth-placed finish in the Premier League worth £52.9 million. The prospect of a minimum ten-game Champions League campaign, estimated to bring in £50 million, plus bonuses. Villa have been champions of Europe yet have never been as financially robust. So, naturally, they celebrated in the manner of all modern Premier League clubs. They went scouting in the bargain basement and discussed which players they could sell to avoid being docked points....

...At the very point when Villa are in a position to flourish they are made to behave without ambition or imagination. And if, as a result, they fall short in the Champions League — as they did in the Conference League this season, and that is nowhere near as competitive — then this potentially has an impact on England’s coefficient ranking, and the additional place, and slowly the influence and appeal of the Premier League depreciates.

Meanwhile, we wonder why, after they have made every last penny generated or spent vital to existence, Tottenham and Newcastle are boarding planes to play a lucrative friendly game in Australia when their players should be resting — particularly those due to be involved with England at the European Championship finals. No doubt if Villa did it too there would be indignation. Yet condemned to live like paupers despite holding a winning lottery ticket, what choice is there?

• Like 1

The idiots up in Leeds are at it again...

"Leeds United or Southampton will fill the last remaining place in next season’s Premier League – and a prediction has already been made as to how the final table will look."

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/next-seasons-final-predicted-premier-league-table-with-leeds-united-or-southampton-added-leicester-city-and-ipswich-town-expectations-4640930?page=1

honestly not sure where to even begin on this one, so much nonsense in one article. 

3 hours ago, numbersix said:

Without my glasses on, the title of this thread reads Meat and Poultry. There may be other undiagnosed issues but it could just be the glasses 

A show in which Franc Leboeuf and Lee Hendrie discuss football. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, numbersix said:

Without my glasses on, the title of this thread reads Meat and Poultry. There may be other undiagnosed issues but it could just be the glasses 

Ah! a kindred spirit

I will have to keep an eye out for the meat.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Fabrizio Romano is a scumbag who should be shunned at every opportunity.

He is currently doing PR for Mason Greenwood, the only winner of a club player of the season that he has mentioned this year.

His fans will be eating it up as well

• Like 1

Â