Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I can imagine the scene at the Golf club annual party in 10 years time.

Presidents address:

We would all like to thank Mr & Mrs Westwood for the kind sponsorship of our brand new refurbished putting green

"applause"

Lonely single new club member Mr Hamilton-Smythe introduces himself

So Mr Westwood, a fine putting green indeed. What line of business are you in?

AW : I'm a retired footballer.

Mr H-T : really? Westwood, Westwood, doesnt really ring a bell, did you play on the continent?

AW : No Crewe & Aston Villa

Mr H-T : Oh yes, now if I remember correctly, you were really shit

• Like 3

I think its safe to say he isnt going to change as a player  we know what westwood is. He's been a nothing player since he joined, playing along side nothing players for most part. The signing of his types was the start of our decline. Sorry dont mean to sound nasty but i dont wanna see him again. 

4 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I actually think Westwood alongside Hourihane would be a good pairing with Lansbury slightly ahead of them both. 

I'm not going to write him off yet..

Woah... you can't say that in here!

Say you're a Trump supporting, paedophile sympathising racist. You won't get as much abuse then.... ;)

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'll say this , he his certainly no where near as bad as all this vile hatred suggests .

nobody on here hates him. he is just a really crap footballer

last weekend he had a good game and people on here acknowledged that but he is just shit in general

Edited by Zatman

On 23/01/2017 at 11:35, Mantis said:

Of all the players that have ever played for Villa, I don't think a player has inflamed passions as much as Westwood has. As I've said before, I don't think he's that good a player at all but the level of hatred he gets is totally disproportionate.

Maybe it's something to do with the position he plays? Petrov played in a similar position and he used to get a ton of abuse, and he was a lot better than Westwood ever has been.

What position does he play? Because after 5 years, I'm still none the wiser.

To ppl saying it would be interesting to see him in a better midfield. No it wouldn't.  Not at all. Itd be a sign that we as a club are still willing to put up with sub standard players.

We have 4/5 players now who are better than Westwood. It really is time for him to leave so we can all move the **** on.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

What position does he play? Because after 5 years, I'm still none the wiser.

To ppl saying it would be interesting to see him in a better midfield. No it wouldn't.  Not at all. Itd be a sign that we as a club are still willing to put up with sub standard players.

We have 4/5 players now who are better than Westwood. It really is time for him to leave so we can all move the **** on.

Spot on there mate. For the sake of the club he has to go

On 1/25/2017 at 18:51, Zatman said:

he played with Gana, Delph, Cleverley he hasnt looked any better

He has though. He definitely looked better playing alongisde those guys.

That's not to say he was particularly good then, or excuse him for his mostly terrible performances this season.

But he HAS looked better.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2017 at 18:09, sparrow1988 said:

How many games do people think he will play between now and the playoff final? I reckon it could be more than people think.

It will be more than people think because I think people genuinely think it'll be zero.

I think we've seen the last of him as a genuine regular and I think he'll now be restricted to a handful of appearances, probably covering for Jedinak when he's rested/injured.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him sold in the summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dukes said:

I really don't get all the hate for Westwood, there are lots of players in the squad that should be ahead of him for all this abuse.

I don't think we have any other regular players who have performed as bad as him so consistently this season. 

I’d imagine the future looks bleak for him here now. Lansbury and Hourianne will definitely start games when fit. I think depending on opposition then in certain games we will see them in a three with Jedinak but when we can go more attacking they will play as a two and we will have two wide players and two centrally up top. I think given the need to actually win games more often than not we will go as a two so Westwood will be reliant on Jedinak being out to have any chance of game time.

I would not be in the least bit surprised to see him leave by the close of the window.

Just now, DCJonah said:

I don't think we have any other regular players who have performed as bad as him so consistently this season. 

I would argue that he's been as effective as any of our midfielders up until now.

Jedinak has been so-so, a few good games but he hasn't ever really controlled midfield for long periods.

Gardner, has been absolutely terrible.

Bacuna has been laughably bad and declared he wanted to leave when we were at our lowest ebb.

Grealish scored a goal

Veretout bottled it at the first opportunity, likewise Sanchez and Gil

Tshibola has done pretty much nothing.

All of our midfield have been shit. There has not been a standout midfielder at this club in years, yet of all the above the fans turn on Westwood because i assume he's played the most games.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

What a load of bollocks. I really can't understand the expectations!? Westwood isn't a box-to-box midfielder, neither is he a tough-tackling midfielder, nor a supreme creative attacking force, that'll constantly provide the killer through pass. People need to accept he's a limited footballer, who's fairly decent at retaining possession and 'making us tick'. He's been nowhere near as bad as some are making out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dukes said:

I would argue that he's been as effective as any of our midfielders up until now.

Jedinak has been so-so, a few good games but he hasn't ever really controlled midfield for long periods.

Gardner, has been absolutely terrible.

Bacuna has been laughably bad and declared he wanted to leave when we were at our lowest ebb.

Grealish scored a goal

Veretout bottled it at the first opportunity, likewise Sanchez and Gil

Tshibola has done pretty much nothing.

All of our midfield have been shit. There has not been a standout midfielder at this club in years, yet of all the above the fans turn on Westwood because i assume he's played the most games.

Well yeah, the last line is true. 

He plays so much and so badly that of course he's going to get more stick than those not playing sitting in the stands. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

He plays so much and so badly that of course he's going to get more stick than those not playing sitting in the stands. 

Wouldn't you then agree he's been the best of the worst? There is a reason you know, he's getting picked ahead of others. Therefore he most certainly not don't warrant the abuse he's getting.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So he plays so badly so often, what does he do that's so bad ?

Personally I think the problem is he doesn't do anything spectacular. This idea that he is terrible is simply not true in my opinion, he's been a decent player playing in a shit team with no confidence. It's probably time for him to go pretty soon, but in a squad that includes Gabby and Richards the level of hatred shown towards Westwood is pathetic and small minded.

Edited by dukes

5 minutes ago, dukes said:

I've said numerous times before that what counts against Westwood is he's been good enough for managers to want to keep him and not actively offload him, but bad enough to not warrant any other clubs coming in for him.

People associate him with our downfall.

• Like 2