Ashley Westwood

Nabby

16 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Yep - who wants a manager that gets promoted to the premier league? stay away from then.

What so because he has been promoted from the championship ALL players he wants to sign are decent?

So apparently he played in the first game today.

Unlike almost every other player I have not seen him mentioned once in any post except the one posting the starting line-up.

Anyone actually noticed him and know how he fared?

Guessing he kept things ticking in the background as per usual :)

7 minutes ago, sne said:

So apparently he played in the first game today.

Unlike almost every other player I have not seen him mentioned once in any post except the one posting the starting line-up.

Anyone actually noticed him and know how he fared?

Guessing he kept things ticking in the background as per usual :)

He had a typical game. Whether that means he was good, satisfactory, poor or dreadful will depend on your existing view on him.

He didn't do anything to win over the sceptics, but also didn't do anything to lose his plaudits.

Regardless, I do wish some of his critics amongst the crowd at matches would refrain from directing abuse at him. Really unpleasant at times. 

• Like 3

I can only say there are at least 6 players need to go before Westwood.

He isn't great, I don't think that's arguable (?) but he isn't awful, and I can picture him being someone RDM would want in the side. Having said that, if he left, he wouldn't really be missed would he ?

41 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

He had a typical game. Whether that means he was good, satisfactory, poor or dreadful will depend on your existing view on him.

He didn't do anything to win over the sceptics, but also didn't do anything to lose his plaudits.

Regardless, I do wish some of his critics amongst the crowd at matches would refrain from directing abuse at him. Really unpleasant at times. 

That has to be the case, for every player.  Otherwise, given how crap it got, it could be very debilitating very quickly.

Unfortunately I am very sure it wont happen. Just as some people have forgiven very quickly, and others entertain the idea that the serial offenders from last year will be better now, there are others at the other end of the spectrum who will be very vocally negative very quickly. One of the many reasons why the worst from last year (I don't count Westwood in that) simply HAVE to go.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Who the **** abuses players in pre season? Particularly in a low crowd environment where they might actually hear you?

Mental. I wish those kind of fans would **** off and leave the proper fans to it. Pricks. 

I should add we're literally talking about a handful of idiot fans here, a few isolated moments when a "**** off Westwood" can clearly be heard. But as you say in a smaller crowd any negativity stands out more and has more chance of being heard by the player. 

Not a good thing to have, regardless. 

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Who the **** abuses players in pre season? Particularly in a low crowd environment where they might actually hear you?

Mental. I wish those kind of fans would **** off and leave the proper fans to it. Pricks. 

This. Goes for every player IMO.

If we want the players to start anew, so should the fans.

Edited by AVTuco

13 hours ago, terrytini said:

I can only say there are at least 6 players need to go before Westwood.

He isn't great, I don't think that's arguable (?) but he isn't awful, and I can picture him being someone RDM would want in the side. Having said that, if he left, he wouldn't really be missed would he ?

I'm very much of this opinion. However, it's not as simple as selling players in a pecking order. If £6million was on the table for him and nothing for our favourite wasters, it might be that the deal would go through first. In fact it's far, far more likely that teams will be in for Westwood before the likes of Richards and Bacuna, which in itself is a compliment to him.

A new start may do him good. He's never really shone for us but by the same token can never be accused of lack of commitment, unlike others from last season. He has played through 4 very difficult seasons for us. It is sad to say that he probably has become accustomed to loosing. Maybe a change is best for both parties at this point?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...