Ashley Westwood

Nabby

1 hour ago, AVFC44 said:

"One of the worst footballers you've ever seen in a Villa shirt, clearly out of his depth in the PL"

Yet despite that it's looking like he's going to be the first (of probably not many) to get a transfer back to the Premier League.

so is Nzogbia. doesnt really say much ;)

2 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

One of the worst footballers I've ever seen pull on a Villa shirt in all my years. A damning indictment of the Lerner era that so many fans accepted him despite the fact he was so clearly out of his depth in the PL and played his part in the worst Villa era in my lifetime and the scandalous decline of a great club. 

The sooner this charlatan leaves the better. I'm sure he'll sneak out while no ones looking and nobody will notice. Which would just about sum up his time here at the Villa. 

Wow dude, I'm not his biggest fan but can I list some names for you? Agathe, Sutton, De la Cruz, Tonev, Berson, Djemba-Djemba, Crespo, Balaban.

I don't really rate Westwood but he is waayyyyy better than all of the above.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JPAngel said:

Wow dude, I'm not his biggest fan but can I list some names for you? Agathe, Sutton, De la Cruz, Tonev, Berson, Djemba-Djemba, Crespo, Balaban.

I don't really rate Westwood but he is waayyyyy better than all of the above.

will be no De La Cruz bashing here. an underrated full back for me

• Like 4

Forget about £6mil.  He's on £40,000 per week!  I like the guy, quiet, inoffensive however I'd let him go for free to get his wages off the books.  He's a bang average championship player.  He contributes no actual effect on games, he doesn't intercept/ tackle, not a physical presence winning headers, doesn't score goals or create lots of chances.  He's exactly the same as bannan.  Some people used to rate him, God knows why.

Clearly there are others that I would get rid of first, bacuna, richards, gabby, lescott, Clarke, however Westwood is Symptomatic of everything that was wrong with villa during that phase, happy for all of that era to be gone.

• Like 2

£40k per week seems quite steep (if true). He can do a job for a team in the lower end of the Premier League, so the move to Burnley makes sense.

I don't think he'd make the difference for us in the hustle and bustle of the Championship which combined with getting his wages off the books means I wouldn't be disappointed to lose him for that price tag.

That said, given the shoddy midfield unit we currently have plus the fact Gana will most likely be gone by the end of the Summer as well, I'd sooner lose quite a few other players in the squad before old Westy.

Surely £40k per week is now £20k pw thought with relegation clauses? Said on here before he is one of the reasons we are where we are. . Was OK as a cheap stopgap when we were trying to rein it in but is not good enough and should have been moved on and with the money we got added to for an upgrade.  Instead we keep him and sign another midfielder who is not good enough ending up with 2 midfielders who are not good enough instead of one really good midfielder supported by a youth player or eg Gary Gardner. 

If he wants to go fine,  it's 2 years too late but if we get £6m we only need to spend £3m to get a £9m player which gains us a lot and loses us a little., just too late. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Surely £40k per week is now £20k pw thought with relegation clauses? Said on here before he is one of the reasons we are where we are. . Was OK as a cheap stopgap when we were trying to rein it in but is not good enough and should have been moved on and with the money we got added to for an upgrade.  Instead we keep him and sign another midfielder who is not good enough ending up with 2 midfielders who are not good enough instead of one really good midfielder supported by a youth player or eg Gary Gardner. 

If he wants to go fine,  it's 2 years too late but if we get £6m we only need to spend £3m to get a £9m player which gains us a lot and loses us a little., just too late. 

Crew have 20% of any sale.

10 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I think I will choose to interpret your statement as hyperbole, otherwise, is it OK if I question your ability to judge players? 

I called him and the other rubbish bought in Lambert's first transfer window right from the off when others on here were still giddy with delight at the "young and hungry" shite peddled by the club. Now look at us. 

Still if you think he's a good player despite him being the midfield linchpin of the worst Villa team seen in decades who am I to argue?

He was part of our attempt at a 'moneyball' side, and it failed terribly. I only saw that film more recently, and it's so obvious Randy Lerner saw it in 2011/12 and decided to give it a go.

Edit: that's not to say I dislike Westwood, and in fact I would like to keep him. He's not a bad player and certainly good enough for Championship level. I also like his attitude and work rate. Just a comment on the time when he was bought.

Edited by alreadyexists

A manager who was on our wanted list in Sean Dyche, great at building teams and picking out talent on a budget, wants westwood. Says it all for me.

Always rated him. Fact is he has never had any other decent midfielders around him, or played in a settled midfield.

Will go on to make most on here eat their words.

40 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

A manager who was on our wanted list in Sean Dyche, great at building teams and picking out talent on a budget, wants westwood. Says it all for me.

Always rated him. Fact is he has never had any other decent midfielders around him, or played in a settled midfield.

Will go on to make most on here eat their words.

It says it all for me too. Thank **** we didn't get sean Dyche. 

• Like 1