Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Few myths flying about on here.

Who criticized Westwood because he was cheap?

Who claimed Westwood was the DM and Delph the AM?

Who said Westwood was not technically acceptable?

Noone...those who don't buy into the myth that Westwood is a good passer and say he is slow, weak and positionally poor, are just voicing an opinion.We have struggled with Delph and Westwood as the midfield partnership for the last 2 seasons, and you could argue that long term both need replacing, indeed the pathetic stats of 6 goals and 4 assisits probably indicates so, but whereas i rate Delph i don't go around spouting such nonsense as "excellant passer", makes the "team tick", "underatted"......no hes not, hes average, and that is our problem, too many average players.

I believe by Jan the midfield will be Delph, Sanchez, and a n other.....but i would be surprised , if we spend any money, if it is Westwood, and yes disappointed, as it means we haven't moved on......my opinion.

I think we as supporters do sit on eggs like a hen, when it comes to average players.....we are always waiting for them to improve......and in some cases never happens.

This Westwood debate is best waiting a few months as his role in the side is going to change or develop if he is to remain in the first XI. Where his limitations are either going to be highlighted or he's going to progress further.

Talk of England is the sad predicament of the national team and the lack of English central midfielders currently. Hopefully by the end of the season Westwood will have thoroughly deserved to be talked about.

I beg to differ. IF he played for WBA, Stoke or Swansea, I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to even name him if I saw his picture. On the pitch he is pretty invisible, mostly because of his role and because we seldom keep the ball in play.

I like Westwood, he seems like a decent guy and he has a certain calmness to his play. However, he doesn't stand out and I don't think he has taken huge steps towards being a very good player in the future. If he was 20 years old like Ross Barkley he would have been quite the talent, but he is already 24 and I'm afraid I don't see the huge potential in him. He will always be a tidy player, picking up the ball and delivering it to the next guy going forward, but he is one in a million and can easily be replaced.

Hope I'm wrong though.

This is my view also.

I beg to differ. IF he played for WBA, Stoke or Swansea, I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to even name him if I saw his picture. On the pitch he is pretty invisible, mostly because of his role and because we seldom keep the ball in play.

I like Westwood, he seems like a decent guy and he has a certain calmness to his play. However, he doesn't stand out and I don't think he has taken huge steps towards being a very good player in the future. If he was 20 years old like Ross Barkley he would have been quite the talent, but he is already 24 and I'm afraid I don't see the huge potential in him. He will always be a tidy player, picking up the ball and delivering it to the next guy going forward, but he is one in a million and can easily be replaced.

Hope I'm wrong though.

This is my view also.
You are. You both are. Edited by villan_007
  • Like 1

Hopefully Sanchez allows him to do what he's good at, hes been a passenger in far to many games since he joined tbf although he's easily the most technically gifted midfielder we have

Thats exactly how I see it....he is not built for the DM role imo....I still think he is a bit lightweight, but having the insurance of a player like Sanchez could be the thing that sparks him in to being effective....as he does have some deft little touches that can open teams up....he may have had too much responsibility....it will be interesting moving forward.

Edited by TRO

I don't think he's good enough, unfortunately.  Now that the defence has had a much needed overhaul, the centre of midfield needs to be sorted, and I imagine that will lead to Westwood losing his place to Sanchez.  Westwood and Delph, for all that the former is neat and tidy, and for all the energy of the latter, don't deliver enough quality in my opinion.

• Like 1

I don't think he's good enough, unfortunately.  Now that the defence has had a much needed overhaul, the centre of midfield needs to be sorted, and I imagine that will lead to Westwood losing his place to Sanchez.  Westwood and Delph, for all that the former is neat and tidy, and for all the energy of the latter, don't deliver enough quality in my opinion.

I was just sitting on my eggs.lol

I'm sure all the people criticising Westwood on here would probably be slating Lambert for not signing players like him if he played for Swansea or someone.

The criticism of him on here is getting beyond ridiculous now. Honestly not worth debating with some people.

Hope I'm wrong though.

If only  :)

I think that there's a debate to be had about Westwood, but if you can't see what Delph brings for a club like ours I do despair. He's clearly one of our best players and most consistent performers. Hopefully Sanchez is the real deal, and we can keep Cole fit, though I'm not optimistic about the latter. 

Why does he need to be as good as Ross Barkley? He's one of the best talents England has produced in over a decade.

and also a totally different type of player

might as well ask why Delph isn't as good as Barkley