Ashley Westwood

Nabby

So Westy stood up and was counted for, grabbed the bull by the horns and used his top level footballing ability to drag us to victory............................................

What the **** are you on about?

Just highlighting that if he was as good as some make out on here, then perhaps he would do that.

Mind you, if people feel sorry for him based on him getting stuck in and even winning a few headers against Leyton Orient then expectations are very very low.

Step Up to the plate lad!!

I would still like him to do more, goals, killer passes through the middle, assists.

It is all well and good keeping things ticking over, time to progress now.

I agree but if Nathan Baker knew what shape his own head was he'd have had an assist yesterday.

So Westy stood up and was counted for, grabbed the bull by the horns and used his top level footballing ability to drag us to victory............................................

Just highlighting that if he was as good as some make out on here, then perhaps he would do that.

Mind you, if people feel sorry for him based on him getting stuck in and even winning a few headers against Leyton Orient then expectations are very very low.

I watched the highlights on bbc last night and out of the 4 chances of ours that it showed, Westwood created 2 of them by putting in good corners. By the sounds of it he put another 1 on Bakers head who missed again.  Is setting up 3 good goal scoring chances not considered 'stepping up to the plate'?  

I'd like to see Grealish given a chance in a more central role against Hull in place of Westwood.

Like I've said before, he is tidy enough and probably a premiership player (just) but he just doesn't do enough.

No point moving him around just let him play his preferred position (which we are weak in anyway).

I watched the highlights on bbc last night and out of the 4 chances of ours that it showed, Westwood created 2 of them by putting in good corners. By the sounds of it he put another 1 on Bakers head who missed again.  Is setting up 3 good goal scoring chances not considered 'stepping up to the plate'?  

What taking a few good corners??? 

No of course it isn't.

Really good players grab them games by the scruff of its neck and go and win them regardless of their position/role in the side. Not one of our players did that. Not Westwood, grealish, Sanchez. Not one. I am absolutely sick to death of hearing about how good these players are because of stuff like 'they keep it ticking, they got stuck in, look lively etc. Its all a bit hollow for me. 

It's like people are ok with him putting in a few decent balls. Oh well he did his job ok, it's a shame about the rest. To lose 0-1 to Leyton Orient is an absolute disgrace and every one of them players out there could and should have given a hell of a lot more.

It's like people are ok with him putting in a few decent balls. Oh well he did his job ok, it's a shame about the rest. To lose 0-1 to Leyton Orient is an absolute disgrace and every one of them players out there could and should have given a hell of a lot more.

Are you trying that say that you don't want him creating chances?  I'm completely confused by all of your posts here :|

Are you trying that say that you don't want him creating chances?  I'm completely confused by all of your posts here :|

I have no idea how you have come to that conclusion. 

What taking a few good corners??? 

No of course it isn't.

Really good players grab them games by the scruff of its neck and go and win them regardless of their position/role in the side. Not one of our players did that. Not Westwood, grealish, Sanchez. Not one. I am absolutely sick to death of hearing about how good these players are because of stuff like 'they keep it ticking, they got stuck in, look lively etc. Its all a bit hollow for me. 

So we created quite a few good chances last night that were then missed by the likes of Bent & Baker but you think the whole team should be blamed despite creating the opportunities ?  I'm confused...

I have no idea how you have come to that conclusion. 

See bold.

Hold the press. He created a chance from a corner!? Give him an extra 20k a week...

I suppose the two good corners he put in against Orient make up for the 50 abysmal ones last season...

If we want to push on and move up the league, Westwood needs to be replaced. That said, we need strengthening in the wide areas before this can happen.

Don't see the fuzz about Westwood. He's doing a fine job, but it's a player i would like to see get replaced by someone better. We're never going to get top 10 with players like Westwood.

Depends how he develops, but I agree to some extent.

For some reason, people seem to think saying he's a good player automatically equates to him being one of the best midfielders in the league.  Perspective etc.

more Westwood bashing. I think he has replaced Heskey as easiest target for some fans

No he hasn't. I think most fans appreciate his strengths and what he brings to the team, most of us just agree that in order to push on and finish higher in the league, we need better. No-one's bashing him. He always gives his all when he puts on the shirt. 

Felt sorry for him tonight. Bossed the midfield with Sanchez, got stuck in, even won a few headers and our wingers/full backs/strikers couldn't cross or finish for toffee.

If he was a player capable of doing that, he would play for the top 4. What he is however, is a good player who is more than good enough for us. Never got this black and white mentality; if he isn't world class (ie: able to drag a team to victory singlehandedly from center midfield), then he has to be shit. There's no in between.