Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I understand why some fans don't get excited by his play. He doesn't make driving runs, he doesn't make crunching tackles(although he tries), he hasn't got a great shot on him.

The people who don't understand his game don't fully understand Xavi's game either (and I'm not saying he's Xavi before anyone quotes me). He keeps the ball ticking. Keeps it moving. There's not one single other player in out squad who does this. I remember having the same argument with Kevin Richardson 20 years ago, everyone expected him to be dropped when Townsend signed. I knew that wasn't gonna happen and I know Westwood won't be dropped now.

Westwood isn't fit to be mentioned in the same breath as those players you've just spoke of. Richardson and Townsend were fantastic players and they proved it out on the pitch time and time again. Westwood's performances have never got anywhere near theirs.

But he didn't compare Westwood to either of them. He used them as an example. 

• Like 1

That's fine and good. But when you start attacking players who ARE actively having an impact then it comes across as an agenda.

Because I rate Westy (sorry delphinho)(and donnie) that makes me a passive lamb? It's just more self-entitlement. That you're the best fan because you moan a lot?

You seem to accept every bit of crap thrown at us by Lerner with relish. Why is that?

Stick up for your club, not it's disgraceful owner.

...And every discussion seems to turn into how players aren't worthy to wear the mighty shirt of Villa and how you know a player when you see them.

You cut the self-entitled, holier-than-thou nonsense and I'll cut the childishness, okay chap?  :thumb:

I have pride in my club and want to see players who are worthy of pulling on the shirt, not dirt cheap rubbish from the lower leagues who are out of their depth. If that's me being "self entitled and holier than thou" then so be it. It's opinion like this that makes football such a passionate game. Us fans should not be passive lambs who accept every bit of rubbish thrown at them by the likes of Randy Lerner. Stand up and be counted and all that.

If Westwood is dirt cheap rubbish, then I wonder what you think about the rest of the squad. Where he came from and how much he cost, should have no bearing on your opinion of him...that's frankly a very myopic view to have. It's actually testament to his ability and Paul Lambert's scouting that he managed to come in from League 2 (4th tier of English football! An amazing fact to most, but somehow a slight on him to you?) and perform to the standard that he has.

• Like 2

That's fine and good. But when you start attacking players who ARE actively having an impact then it comes across as an agenda.

Because I rate Westy (sorry delphinho)(and donnie) that makes me a passive lamb? It's just more self-entitlement. That you're the best fan because you moan a lot?

You seem to accept every bit of crap thrown at us by Lerner with relish. Why is that?

Stick up for your club, not it's disgraceful owner.

I do? News to me.

This is exactly what I mean about self-entitlement. If I'm not moaning about every little thing in the club then I'm 'accepting every bit of crap with relish'.

Funnily enough, standing up for THE PLAYERS actually means I'm standing up for the club, not Lerner.

It's as if, to you, defending any players signed within Lerner's reign is akin to defending learner. It's incredibly myopic.

I understand why some fans don't get excited by his play. He doesn't make driving runs, he doesn't make crunching tackles(although he tries), he hasn't got a great shot on him.

The people who don't understand his game don't fully understand Xavi's game either (and I'm not saying he's Xavi before anyone quotes me). He keeps the ball ticking. Keeps it moving. There's not one single other player in out squad who does this. I remember having the same argument with Kevin Richardson 20 years ago, everyone expected him to be dropped when Townsend signed. I knew that wasn't gonna happen and I know Westwood won't be dropped now.

Westwood isn't fit to be mentioned in the same breath as those players you've just spoke of. Richardson and Townsend were fantastic players and they proved it out on the pitch time and time again. Westwood's performances have never got anywhere near theirs.

Never said he was, he does a similar job as Richardson, gets the ball moves it simply like when I mentioned Xavi, he does that type of job, nowhere near the level of quality.

My Richardson debate was when we signed Townsend everyone expected him to replace Richardson in midfield, because most believed him to not do much and was the weak link. This wasn't the case and he replaced Garry Parker.

...And every discussion seems to turn into how players aren't worthy to wear the mighty shirt of Villa and how you know a player when you see them.

You cut the self-entitled, holier-than-thou nonsense and I'll cut the childishness, okay chap?  :thumb:

I have pride in my club and want to see players who are worthy of pulling on the shirt, not dirt cheap rubbish from the lower leagues who are out of their depth. If that's me being "self entitled and holier than thou" then so be it. It's opinion like this that makes football such a passionate game. Us fans should not be passive lambs who accept every bit of rubbish thrown at them by the likes of Randy Lerner. Stand up and be counted and all that.

Who in that Viila team IS fit to wear the shirt then in your opinion?

Off the top of my head I'd say the keeper is okay, Vlaar, Benteke, Delph, Sanchez, Bent, Gabby (when he's bothered), Okore (looks promising), and maybe a couple of others. The rest (in my opinion) range between average to the down right out of their depth. It doesn't take a genius to work out that if you sell your best players and replace them with players who are inferior then the team will suffer. That's what Lerner has done over 4 years and that's why he's turned us into relegation strugglers.

Pretty average stats for a player you seem to rate so highly.

Not everything can be backed up with stats. A number might give an insight but it doesn't show you how his work, his passing, his general play adds to the team in an attacking sense. He is the first period of play, and an important one at that. Stuff the numbers, my eyes tell me all I need to know.

Agreed. I also trust my own eyes over the stats nonsense that has crept upon over the last few years. I know a player when I see one, and sadly Westwood ain't one of them. Sooner or later he'll be in the Championship where he belongs.

I'm so sorry. You're totally right. Your eyes and how you see a player is 100% correct. I bow down to your superior football knowledge your majesty.

'Westy'

Cringe. Know him do ya?

'Delphinho'

Cringe. Know him do ya?

SentimentalCreativeKagu.gif

Woeful footballer.

He's got outstanding touch and awareness!

Wait, wait WAIIIIIIT.

So Bent (who has done NOTHING for the best part of 2 years) is worthy of our great club, Sanchez who has played 20 minutes and 'The Keeper' (hahahahahaha) are but Westwood who has made a good impact in the last 2 and a bit years isn't?

The Bent selection sums it up rwally.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Pretty average stats for a player you seem to rate so highly.

Not everything can be backed up with stats. A number might give an insight but it doesn't show you how his work, his passing, his general play adds to the team in an attacking sense. He is the first period of play, and an important one at that. Stuff the numbers, my eyes tell me all I need to know.

Agreed. I also trust my own eyes over the stats nonsense that has crept upon over the last few years. I know a player when I see one, and sadly Westwood ain't one of them. Sooner or later he'll be in the Championship where he belongs.

I'm so sorry. You're totally right. Your eyes and how you see a player is 100% correct. I bow down to your superior football knowledge your majesty.

'Westy'

Cringe. Know him do ya?

'Delphinho'

Cringe. Know him do ya?

SentimentalCreativeKagu.gif

Woeful footballer.

He's got outstanding touch and awareness!

That is actually impossible considering he's a dirt cheap rubbish lower league clogger. Fact!

• Like 3

If we had any money, 'Westy' (lol) would be replaced. I think we were trying to sign Ki to replace him weren't we?

He isn't a bad player and I don't particularly dislike him, just not a very good or effective one. We need better.

Couldn't argue with that, but at the same time we need better full backs, a better centre half, 2 better wide players and a better attacking midfielder.

Wait, wait WAIIIIIIT.

So Bent (who has done NOTHING for the best part of 2 years) is worthy of our great club, Sanchez who has played 20 minutes and 'The Keeper' (hahahahahaha) are but Westwood who has made a good impact in the last 2 and a bit years isn't?

But he's not out of his depth in the Premier League unlike Westwood and some of the other crap Lerner and Lambert has fobbed us off with. That's my point.

If we had any money, 'Westy' (lol) would be replaced. I think we were trying to sign Ki to replace him weren't we?

He isn't a bad player and I don't particularly dislike him, just not a very good or effective one. We need better.

Couldn't argue with that, but at the same time we need better full backs, a better centre half, 2 better wide players and a better attacking midfielder.

We are weaker in other positions unfortunately than CM. Like I say, Westy (lol) isn't a bad player but he needs to be replaced if we are looking to kick on from a 14th -17th place finish.

And in time, he will be. He's tidy enough for us at out current level though.

Wait, wait WAIIIIIIT.

But he's not out of his depth in the Premier League unlike Westwood and some of the other crap Lerner and Lambert has fobbed us off with. That's my point.

I... just..don't.

So a player who hasn't done anything in the last 2 seasons for Villa isn't out of his depth, but a player who has contributed positively is?

I just don't know what else to say to you. Your views are baffling.

The only reason he hasn't contributed over the last 2 years is because he was banished to the 'bomb squad' by our esteemed owner. Now he's back in the fold, a bit like Hutton. He's certainly Premier League class unlike Westwood.