Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Pretty average stats for a player you seem to rate so highly.

Not everything can be backed up with stats. A number might give an insight but it doesn't show you how his work, his passing, his general play adds to the team in an attacking sense. He is the first period of play, and an important one at that. Stuff the numbers, my eyes tell me all I need to know.

• Like 1

Then what a shame you can't see what Westy adds to the team. Trent put it best really.

Westwood is a far far better player than many of our fans give him credit for, shame but little point trying to change peoples views on him.

He adds too few assists and too few goals. He's weak on the ball and goes missing when the going gets tough. Having players as weak as Westwood in the team is one of the reasons we're now perennial relegation strugglers.

This is my opinion which I'm perfectly entitled to. I said the same about the likes of Lowton and Bennett and eventually they were given the boot. I fully expect the same to happen to Westwood.

It also doesnt help when the players he's supposed to be assisting are Gabby and Weimann. Their movement off the ball is hardly inspiring, stick Mata in the middle of the pitch and he wouldn't do much better considering the complete lack of attacking movement from our whole team. 

• Like 1

I don't understand all the hate for Westwood? In my mind, he's a decent player for a mid table side, which is what we are. He's not a world beater by far, but he's definitely not gobshite like some are suggesting on here. 

• Like 2

Passing percentage mid 80's. (and that isn't only playing a safe ball as many people love to state)

2nd most chances created by an Englishman in the league last year.

8 assists in 2 years (not great but not 'rubbish' as you state)

3 goals last year.

He's certainly not rubbish. Maybe I rate him too highly, but it's because I like seeing proper footballers and Westy is one of the best natural players we've got. Again, if you honestly rate him as rubbish and can't wait for him to be gone, I feel sorry for you.

You rate a player so highly then you try and back it up with stats as average as the above. I'm certainly not gonna fall for the old "pass completion stat" either. It means absolutely nothing.

Not everything can be backed up with stats. A number might give an insight but it doesn't show you how his work, his passing, his general play adds to the team in an attacking sense. He is the first period of play, and an important one at that. Stuff the numbers, my eyes tell me all I need to know.

Agreed. I also trust my own eyes over the stats nonsense that has crept upon over the last few years. I know a player when I see one, and sadly Westwood ain't one of them. Sooner or later he'll be in the Championship where he belongs.

Agreed. I also trust my own eyes over the stats nonsense that has crept upon over the last few years. I know a player when I see one, and sadly Westwood ain't one of them. Sooner or later he'll be in the Championship where he belongs.

I strongly disagree. It probably isn't popular to say but I rate him higher than Delph.

• Like 2

I'm so sorry. You're totally right. Your eyes and how you see a player is 100% correct. I bow down to your superior football knowledge your majesty.

'Westy'

Cringe. Know him do ya?

'Delphinho'

Cringe. Know him do ya?

SentimentalCreativeKagu.gif

Woeful footballer.

• Like 1

...And every discussion seems to turn into how players aren't worthy to wear the mighty shirt of Villa and how you know a player when you see them.

You cut the self-entitled, holier-than-thou nonsense and I'll cut the childishness, okay chap?  :thumb:

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

I understand why some fans don't get excited by his play. He doesn't make driving runs, he doesn't make crunching tackles(although he tries), he hasn't got a great shot on him.

The people who don't understand his game don't fully understand Xavi's game either (and I'm not saying he's Xavi before anyone quotes me). He keeps the ball ticking. Keeps it moving. There's not one single other player in out squad who does this. I remember having the same argument with Kevin Richardson 20 years ago, everyone expected him to be dropped when Townsend signed. I knew that wasn't gonna happen and I know Westwood won't be dropped now.

• Like 4

I strongly disagree. It probably isn't popular to say but I rate him higher than Delph.

He's certainly more consistent, but I think we will see the real Delph when he gets freed up.

...And every discussion seems to turn into how players aren't worthy to wear the mighty shirt of Villa and how you know a player when you see them.

You cut the self-entitled, holier-than-thou nonsense and I'll cut the childishness, okay chap?  :thumb:

I have pride in my club and want to see players who are worthy of pulling on the shirt, not dirt cheap rubbish from the lower leagues who are out of their depth. If that's me being "self entitled and holier than thou" then so be it. It's opinion like this that makes football such a passionate game. Us fans should not be passive lambs who accept every bit of rubbish thrown at them by the likes of Randy Lerner. Stand up and be counted and all that.

That's fine and good. But when you start attacking players who ARE actively having an impact then it comes across as an agenda.

Because I rate Westy (sorry delphinho)(and donnie) that makes me a passive lamb? It's just more self-entitlement. That you're the best fan because you moan a lot?

I understand why some fans don't get excited by his play. He doesn't make driving runs, he doesn't make crunching tackles(although he tries), he hasn't got a great shot on him.

The people who don't understand his game don't fully understand Xavi's game either (and I'm not saying he's Xavi before anyone quotes me). He keeps the ball ticking. Keeps it moving. There's not one single other player in out squad who does this. I remember having the same argument with Kevin Richardson 20 years ago, everyone expected him to be dropped when Townsend signed. I knew that wasn't gonna happen and I know Westwood won't be dropped now.

Westwood isn't fit to be mentioned in the same breath as those players you've just spoke of. Richardson and Townsend were fantastic players and they proved it out on the pitch time and time again. Westwood's performances have never got anywhere near theirs.

I have pride in my club and want to see players who are worthy of pulling on the shirt, not dirt cheap rubbish from the lower leagues who are out of their depth. If that's me being "self entitled and holier than thou" then so be it. It's opinion like this that makes football such a passionate game. Us fans should not be passive lambs who accept every bit of rubbish thrown at them by the likes of Randy Lerner. Stand up and be counted and all that.

Who in that Viila team IS fit to wear the shirt then in your opinion?