Ashley Westwood

Nabby

So Westy stood up and was counted for, grabbed the bull by the horns and used his top level footballing ability to drag us to victory............................................

What the **** are you on about?

Just highlighting that if he was as good as some make out on here, then perhaps he would do that.

Mind you, if people feel sorry for him based on him getting stuck in and even winning a few headers against Leyton Orient then expectations are very very low.

Step Up to the plate lad!!

I watched the highlights on bbc last night and out of the 4 chances of ours that it showed, Westwood created 2 of them by putting in good corners. By the sounds of it he put another 1 on Bakers head who missed again.  Is setting up 3 good goal scoring chances not considered 'stepping up to the plate'?  

What taking a few good corners??? 

No of course it isn't.

Really good players grab them games by the scruff of its neck and go and win them regardless of their position/role in the side. Not one of our players did that. Not Westwood, grealish, Sanchez. Not one. I am absolutely sick to death of hearing about how good these players are because of stuff like 'they keep it ticking, they got stuck in, look lively etc. Its all a bit hollow for me. 

It's like people are ok with him putting in a few decent balls. Oh well he did his job ok, it's a shame about the rest. To lose 0-1 to Leyton Orient is an absolute disgrace and every one of them players out there could and should have given a hell of a lot more.

So we created quite a few good chances last night that were then missed by the likes of Bent & Baker but you think the whole team should be blamed despite creating the opportunities ?  I'm confused...

It's not a case of blaming people. The whole team was not good enough and each individual could and should have been better. However, this is the Ashley Westwood thread so I am focusing on how he could have been better. And now is the time (especially given the previous opponents) to stop settling for a few half decent crosses/ticking us over. Its just not good enough. Get a grip of the game, make more things happen, bust a gut to ensure we do not lose the match, bust a gut to ensure we win the game, score the winner. Step Up and be the hero.

People will say he isn't that type of player. So what?? Become that type of player. Become the hero!!

Felt sorry for him tonight. Bossed the midfield with Sanchez, got stuck in, even won a few headers and our wingers/full backs/strikers couldn't cross or finish for toffee.

So Westy stood up and was counted for, grabbed the bull by the horns and used his top level footballing ability to drag us to victory............................................

If he was a player capable of doing that, he would play for the top 4. What he is however, is a good player who is more than good enough for us. Never got this black and white mentality; if he isn't world class (ie: able to drag a team to victory singlehandedly from center midfield), then he has to be shit. There's no in between.

Against Leyton Orient!!!!!?????!!!!!

We're not asking for miracles from world class players. 

Jesus, it's because players like Westwood are more than good enough for us that we're absolutely shite and getting beat by lower league opposition, fighting relegation and looking like we wouldn't score in a decade.

Westwood IMO is a good player and worthy of a spot in our team at the moment.

If say, we sign someone like Cleverley, Westwood's position 'may' be in danger but competition for places would be good for all and if Westwood ended up first pick off the bench then our squad would surely be stronger.

This is a squad game name, not just 1-11. Westwood is very much needed in our squad and currently our starting XI.

For a lad who's come from League 2, he's adapted and acquitted himself well on and off the pitch.

I personally think hes overrated on here. Hes not good in the tackle. Doesnt win a header or go for mazy run. Doesnt score or set up goals. Hes good at keeping things neat but thats expected from a premier league player. Delph seems to be highly rated.. yet we seem to never hold on to the ball. 

Edited by KSV

This thread's getting ridiculous. Just proves some people don't have a clue.

Because people have different views on a player?

No not all, everyone's entitled to their opinion. But when you've got certain people blaming him for not "grabbing the bull by the horns" and single handedly winning us the game last night, things are getting a bit ridiculous. Do you not think? Edited by juanpablo

I personally think hes overrated on here. Hes not good in the tackle. Doesnt win a header or go for mazy run. Doesnt score or set up goals. Hes good at keeping things neat but thats expected from a premier league player. Delph seems to be highly rated.. yet we seem to never hold on to the ball. 

Westwood is good at what he does. Keeping it simple. He is overrated in here, but he isn't as bad as some people make him out to be

Westwood is good at what he does. Keeping it simple. He is overrated in here, but he isn't as bad as some people make him out to be

I dont think he is a bad player. I think he is a good signing on the cheap who is a good squad player. But if we have a weak link in midfield.. it is him.

• Like 1

I dont think he is a bad player. I think he is a good signing on the cheap who is a good squad player. But if we have a weak link in midfield.. it is him.

Yes, I agree.

I think the Sanchez position is the weak link. I say his position because if he turns out to be good, then yes Westwood might be the weakest of the midfield 3. But until Sanchez proves himself that will be the weak link.

I think the Sanchez position is the weak link. I say his position because if he turns out to be good, then yes Westwood might be the weakest of the midfield 3. But until Sanchez proves himself that will be the weak link.

yeah that is a fair call. I am quietly confident Sanchez will be a good signing though. But definitely our midfield is poor. You cant blame the strikers completely when they are not receiving quality service. A lot of Wiemann's runs are wasted.. he is very good off the ball. (Not likely he would finish the chance though).

It's not really fair to criticise him for 'just keeping it simple' last night. He took risks with his passing because Sanchez freed him up and I repeat, it's not his fault if other players completely cock up the chance.

It's a real shame to see a player get targeted by some posters regardless of their actual performance level.

• Like 1

Alongside Gabby and Weimann, he's the weak link in the team at the moment.  At least with the former two though, we have much better replacements waiting to come back.  If we sign Cleverley, I'd expect to see quite a bit less of Westwood starting games.

I think sanchez will mean he will play less and cleverley would certainly make it so.

A great squad player to have though. He's got attributes we need in certain games and will still have a role to play.

My only fear is that Lambert will go back to the awful diamond formation just so he can fit Cleverley and Westwood both in.

Please god no!!!