Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Its not just about stats though. Like you say stats between him and delph are similar when delph is a much better and more important player. I'd also say delph is a better technical player.

Good creative players are able to take people on to create space for others and find those gaps for a pass. That's just not Westwood's game. That's not knocking him, he's good at what he does but he's more of a Barry type player. I don't think that's the type of player we need, especially at home were the emphasis is on us to break down teams.

Edited by DCJonah

Its not just about stats though. Like you say stats between him and delph are similar when delph is a much better and more important player. I'd also say delph is a better technical player.

Good creative players are able to take people on to create space for others and find those gaps for a pass. That's just not Westwood's game. That's not knocking him, he's good at what he does but he's more of a Barry type player. I don't think that's the type of player we need, especially at home were the emphasis is on us to break down teams.

In what way is Delph a "much better and more important player" then?  Also, better technically?!

Edit:  This is another thing that seems to get levelled at Westwood - "it's easy to play safe passes and keep possession" and, yet, one of the major problems for Aston Villa?  Keeping possession!  I'd much rather have Westwood playing it safe and retaining the ball - especially in the position that he's been played in.  Delph (and I like him) has a much better engine and drives forward with the ball but, given this advanced movement and positioning, does absolutely sod all with the ball.  His end product is so, so poor.  Against Newcastle he made two good breaks and; a] Completely underhit a pass out to Richardson which allowed Gouffran to easily cover plus b] took an absolutely garbage touch which resulted in Williamson getting sent off.  We need to have a risky midfielder, I have no problem with this, but Westwood is so much more consistent and so much more composed.  It's similar to how Carrick was criminally underrated in a Utd side that was dominant.  If you're not flashy, you get overlooked.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Few myths flying about on here.

Who criticized Westwood because he was cheap?

Who claimed Westwood was the DM and Delph the AM?

Who said Westwood was not technically acceptable?

Noone...those who don't buy into the myth that Westwood is a good passer and say he is slow, weak and positionally poor, are just voicing an opinion.We have struggled with Delph and Westwood as the midfield partnership for the last 2 seasons, and you could argue that long term both need replacing, indeed the pathetic stats of 6 goals and 4 assisits probably indicates so, but whereas i rate Delph i don't go around spouting such nonsense as "excellant passer", makes the "team tick", "underatted"......no hes not, hes average, and that is our problem, too many average players.

I believe by Jan the midfield will be Delph, Sanchez, and a n other.....but i would be surprised , if we spend any money, if it is Westwood, and yes disappointed, as it means we haven't moved on......my opinion.

• Like 1

In what way is Delph a "much better and more important player" then? Also, better technically?!

I think delph is better and his box to box style is important to the way we've played under Lambert. I'd say he's technically better, his dribbling skills on the ball are excellent and his passing skills are about on par with Westwood.

he's not fast, I agree with that. And a bit weak. And when it comes to defending he sometimes loses his position. Apart from that I think he's a tidy little player. Good passer of the ball, reads the game well, good split vision (if that term's used these days), good technique and very good first touch. He's good enough for us. And I think he can really show that if he doesn't play as a dm.

In what way is Delph a "much better and more important player" then? Also, better technically?!
I think delph is better and his box to box style is important to the way we've played under Lambert. I'd say he's technically better, his dribbling skills on the ball are excellent and his passing skills are about on par with Westwood.
I love Delph but no way has he better technique and passing than Westwood . Never in a million years , Edited by Brumerican

he's not fast, I agree with that. And a bit weak. And when it comes to defending he sometimes loses his position. Apart from that I think he's a tidy little player. Good passer of the ball, reads the game well, good split vision (if that term's used these days), good technique and very good first touch. He's good enough for us. And I think he can really show that if he doesn't play as a dm.

Split vision = Peripheral vision (over here) I guess ?

Split vision = Peripheral vision (over here) I guess ?

Yeah, sounds right. My dad always said that and I thought it was a common, maybe old, english term. :) I'd say he showed split vision in with that pass in that gif.

• Like 1

Smarter than Delph?.......more nonsense spouted about Westwood.Fails to mark runs, lets players run off him, poor positionally, none of these could be levelled at Delph, so how is Westwood smarter?

Delph cost £6m, and if we sold him , would probably get about that for him, how much do you think we would get for Westwood?

Few myths flying about on here.

Who claimed Westwood was the DM and Delph the AM?

Noone...those who don't buy into the myth that Westwood is a good passer and say he is slow, weak and positionally poor, are just voicing an opinion.We have struggled with Delph and Westwood as the midfield partnership for the last 2 seasons, and you could argue that long term both need replacing, indeed the pathetic stats of 6 goals and 4 assisits probably indicates so, but whereas i rate Delph i don't go around spouting such nonsense as "excellant passer", makes the "team tick", "underatted"......no hes not, hes average, and that is our problem, too many average players.

I believe by Jan the midfield will be Delph, Sanchez, and a n other.....but i would be surprised , if we spend any money, if it is Westwood, and yes disappointed, as it means we haven't moved on......my opinion.

It's been pretty much widely publicised that Westwood played as the holding midfielder in our central trio.  No-one has stated Delph is an attacking midfielder (what were you saying about myths?) but it's pretty evident from, y'know, watching Aston Villa that Delph plays in a more advanced position than Westwood and, most people would agree, is a more attacking player.

Also, no-one is stating that Westwood is a world class player.  He's a consistent performer with a good pass on him and is the player who, personally, makes me feel most at ease when the ball is played into him.  I'll end this discussion as we're likely to go round in circles but, again, he's first name on the teamsheet in midfield for me.

I love Delph but no way has he better technique and passing than Westwood . Never in a million years ,

Fair enough I disagree. The way delph turns and dribbles with the ball is something I don't think Westwood is capable of.

Smarter than Delph?.......more nonsense spouted about Westwood.Fails to mark runs, lets players run off him, poor positionally, none of these could be levelled at Delph, so how is Westwood smarter?

Delph cost £6m, and if we sold him , would probably get about that for him, how much do you think we would get for Westwood?

Off the ball Delph is better but on the ball there is no comparison.

I think Westwood and Delph are on a very similar level. Delph is quite overrated on here, and certainly doesn't warrant the wages he's on imo. He's good, but similar to Westwood he doesn't actually do all that much. He can burst past a few players, but then his final ball will be off, or he will blast his shot over the bar. The bursting past a few players is only good if something comes from it, which is very rare with Delph.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

I think Westwood and Delph are on a very similar level. Delph is quite overrated on here, and certainly doesn't warrant the wages he's on imo. He's good, but similar to Westwood he doesn't actually do all that much. He can burst past a few players, but then his final ball will be off, or he will blast his shot over the bar. The bursting past a few players is only good if something comes from it, which is very rare with Delph.

Yeah they're pretty much the same. Delph can burst past a few players which Westwood can't and is quicker but Westwood makes up for it by being much more intelligent and technically better on the ball.