Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I think that there's a debate to be had about Westwood, but if you can't see what Delph brings for a club like ours I do despair. He's clearly one of our best players and most consistent performers. Hopefully Sanchez is the real deal, and we can keep Cole fit, though I'm not optimistic about the latter. 

Delph is anything but consistent.  If he added Westwood's consistency to his game (alongside making the right decisions!), he'd be some player.

To sum this whole debate up....if he was at another club we'd moan as to why we weren't in for him.

Not really because he would probably be at Crewe and we wouldn't even know about him.

Swansea looked at him before us so he was attracting interest.

I think that there's a debate to be had about Westwood, but if you can't see what Delph brings for a club like ours I do despair. He's clearly one of our best players and most consistent performers. Hopefully Sanchez is the real deal, and we can keep Cole fit, though I'm not optimistic about the latter. 

Delph is anything but consistent.  If he added Westwood's consistency to his game (alongside making the right decisions!), he'd be some player.

I'd point to the fact he had at least twice as many MOTM awards than any other of our players last season as evidence to the contrary. 

Our midfield is fine imo. It's Gabby and Weimann which are holding us back. They are nowhere near good enough

couldn't agree more them pair would do well to get in most championship teams IMO

Our midfield has been awful for two seasons. As much as I rate Sanchez he doesn't make it go from awful to fine.

We've got some decent midfield players now but we need the right combo to make the midfield good.

Delph, one of our standout players for the last eighteen months, isn't consistant? I've heard it all now.

He's not consistent though?  Stand out player, maybe - but not consistent.

His run against Newcastle where Williamson got sent off sums up Delph perfectly.  Drives well with the ball, tries to make things happen then takes a terrible touch and loses the ball (in this case, got fouled leading to a sending off).  You could substitute "terrible touch" for "terrible pass" too.

Not to say I think he's a bad player - he's not.  He's just terribly inconsistent.

• Like 1

Delph, one of our standout players for the last eighteen months, isn't consistant? I've heard it all now.

He's not consistent though? Stand out player, maybe - but not consistent.

His run against Newcastle where Williamson got sent off sums up Delph perfectly. Drives well with the ball, tries to make things happen then takes a terrible touch and loses the ball (in this case, got fouled leading to a sending off). You could substitute "terrible touch" for "terrible pass" too.

Not to say I think he's a bad player - he's not. He's just terribly inconsistent.

And Westwood nearly cost us a goal. The odd mistake in a game doesn't make a player inconsistent. No one in our team has perfect games on a regular basis.

He's not consistent though? Stand out player, maybe - but not consistent.

His run against Newcastle where Williamson got sent off sums up Delph perfectly. Drives well with the ball, tries to make things happen then takes a terrible touch and loses the ball (in this case, got fouled leading to a sending off). You could substitute "terrible touch" for "terrible pass" too.

Not to say I think he's a bad player - he's not. He's just terribly inconsistent.

And Westwood nearly cost us a goal. The odd mistake in a game doesn't make a player inconsistent. No one in our team has perfect games on a regular basis.

Delph doesn't make the odd mistake - hell, they're not even really "mistakes".  It's just that his final product is more often than not, garbage.  His pass out wide to Richardson in the same game was woefully under hit and stopped us in the final stages of a counter attack.

Westwood doesn't make anywhere near as much happen on the ball as Delph, but you know exactly what you'll get with him.  He's consistent as anything.

In short, if you merged the two players together, the end result would be amazing.

Our midfield is fine imo. It's Gabby and Weimann which are holding us back. They are nowhere near good enough

couldn't agree more them pair would do well to get in most championship teams IMO

Our midfield has been awful for two seasons. As much as I rate Sanchez he doesn't make it go from awful to fine.

We've got some decent midfield players now but we need the right combo to make the midfield good.

Disagree. At least in this season, the players that always lose the ball and we end up losing all momentum of the game this season has been Gabby and Weimann. They just simply can't keep the possession of the ball.

Felt sorry for him tonight. Bossed the midfield with Sanchez, got stuck in, even won a few headers and our wingers/full backs/strikers couldn't cross or finish for toffee.

So Westy stood up and was counted for, grabbed the bull by the horns and used his top level footballing ability to drag us to victory............................................