Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Ok. But then what is the point?

I'd love them to be England players! But they're not good enough.

To closer assess potential players for the English national team? England need to be experimenting more with potential talent, especially those that are playing consistently in the top flight like Delph, Colback, Westwood etc. This myopic selection policy is not helping us build a "team", it is more geared to the individual IMO. Sorry, I am digressing... 

What is wrong with Westwood being given an opportunity for the national team?

Because he hasn't done anything to warrant one? Everyone complained about the likes of Cleverley being called up for the very same reason.

hes no where near good enough for the england team.

he is very neat and tidy, i don't think anyone would deny he has good technical ability on the ball. but given his deficiencies, he would have to be exceptional at passing to get in the england side. hes not.

hes weak, slow and positionally very poor when having to defend. on saturday there was another example of why he cant play the DM role, when he was too easily robbed leading to de jongs chance. he concedes ground to opposition midfielders far to easily and there plenty of examples over the last two years of goals conceded where he has lost out 1 on 1 to the goal scorer.

probably worth trying him further forward at villa, as he can pick a nice pass, but im not convinced he would make a great full time attacking mid either- he cant beat a man with skill. look at all the other good creative, attacking players out there and they can run at pace with the ball and can go round players 1 on 1.

I read a post on another forum this Saturday that Westwood doesn't have any technique and can't control the ball. And I think he was serious. :)

I like Westwood. One of my favourite players in Villa atm. Which really means one of my favourite players. Maybe those who suggest that he and Delph can't play in the midfield at the same time with Carlos sitting deep. I beg to differ. Add a good AM in front of them and play that like a diamond and let Cissokho and Hutton run the wings and I think we can be rather dangerous. Sanchez covers the back, Delph takes the runs into the box, Westwood dictates the play and the good AM can do some well needed magic. We just need good strikers in form. Well, that's what I'd like to see.

But I agree that Sanchez, Westwood and Delph can't play together in a midfield 4 if we play with classic wingers.

• Like 3

Then what a shame you can't see what Westy adds to the team. Trent put it best really.

Westwood is a far far better player than many of our fans give him credit for, shame but little point trying to change peoples views on him.

He adds too few assists and too few goals. 

He has been playing DMF for the past 2 seasons and you're harping on about goals and assists.  Despite playing DMF he still scored 3 quality goals and has a great record of creating chances. His passing range is excellent and not just confined to keeping it simple.    Maybe when he is able to play in CMF you and others might take note. 

Pretty average stats for a player you seem to rate so highly.

Not everything can be backed up with stats. A number might give an insight but it doesn't show you how his work, his passing, his general play adds to the team in an attacking sense. He is the first period of play, and an important one at that. Stuff the numbers, my eyes tell me all I need to know.

Agreed. I also trust my own eyes over the stats nonsense that has crept upon over the last few years. I know a player when I see one, and sadly Westwood ain't one of them. Sooner or later he'll be in the Championship where he belongs.

I'm so sorry. You're totally right. Your eyes and how you see a player is 100% correct. I bow down to your superior football knowledge your majesty.

'Westy'

Cringe. Know him do ya?

'Delphinho'

Cringe. Know him do ya?

SentimentalCreativeKagu.gif

Woeful footballer.

He's got outstanding touch and awareness!

See how the footage is all grainy?  That's because the ghost of Andy Townsend entered Westwoods body at that moment and enabled him to perform such awesome touch, technique & vision, causing distortion in the electrics. * 

* This statement still wouldn't be true even if Andy Townsend was dead.

I'm sure all the people criticising Westwood on here would probably be slating Lambert for not signing players like him if he played for Swansea or someone.

The criticism of him on here is getting beyond ridiculous now. Honestly not worth debating with some people.

• Like 3

I'm sure all the people criticising Westwood on here would probably be slating Lambert for not signing players like him if he played for Swansea or someone.

The criticism of him on here is getting beyond ridiculous now. Honestly not worth debating with some people.

I beg to differ. IF he played for WBA, Stoke or Swansea, I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to even name him if I saw his picture. On the pitch he is pretty invisible, mostly because of his role and because we seldom keep the ball in play.

I like Westwood, he seems like a decent guy and he has a certain calmness to his play. However, he doesn't stand out and I don't think he has taken huge steps towards being a very good player in the future. If he was 20 years old like Ross Barkley he would have been quite the talent, but he is already 24 and I'm afraid I don't see the huge potential in him. He will always be a tidy player, picking up the ball and delivering it to the next guy going forward, but he is one in a million and can easily be replaced.

Hope I'm wrong though.

• Like 1

I think Westwood is still developing and improving, hopefully Keane will bring him on further.

I do think Delph could play for England, partially because Cleverly, Wilshire and Henderson are pretty average. I wouldn't say Delph is worse than any of those three, i wouldn't even say Westwood was worse than those three - he's just not from the Hollywood billy big b*llocks England elite. We are a country adept at putting above average players like Rooney on a throne like they are Gods.

Edited by VillanousOne

Then what a shame you can't see what Westy adds to the team. Trent put it best really.

Westwood is a far far better player than many of our fans give him credit for, shame but little point trying to change peoples views on him.

He adds too few assists and too few goals.

He has been playing DMF for the past 2 seasons and you're harping on about goals and assists. Despite playing DMF he still scored 3 quality goals and has a great record of creating chances. His passing range is excellent and not just confined to keeping it simple. Maybe when he is able to play in CMF you and others might take note.

I know he has decent stats for creating chances but I honestly can't think of many. Creating chances is not something that jumps to mind when I think of Westwood.

Also I think the fact we tried to sign hoolahan and signed Joe Cole suggests Lambert doesn't view Westwood as the answer to our creative issues.

I think this is his breakthrough season. He'll progress as a footballer and clubs will be after him after this season. He has a great touch, is technically good, has great vision and awareness, and can pick out passes in tight spaces. His role is to sit back and connect the defense with the attack then burst forward which now with Sanchez in he can do that more comfortably. Without Westwood the defense would be so separated from the attack and disorganized. He keeps the speed of the game up and IMO one of our most important players.

• Like 2