Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Agree he was MOTM for me, fantastic energy, excellent reading of the game, kept us moving.  No surprise he and Tish tired and in the last 20/25 minutes got overran.

Credit to him after what he has both endured and been a part of.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Surprised this didn't get bumped. Our best player tonight. 

I wouldn't disagree with that. 

His passing wasn't as on point as Saturday, but what impressed me tonight was his pressing and tackling. He was the one for me that kept his legs in the second half. A couple of times late on, when we were really entrenched, he was furthest up the pitch chasing the ball down. 

He under hit one or two passes in the second half, but he used the ball pretty well overall. 

I don't think there were any standout performances tonight, everyone was 'OK/decent' for me, but he edges it for pure effort. 

Personally, I thought he was pants.Stands off players too much when he should be pressuring them. Covers plenty of ground, but does so little. Good at pointing his finger, pity he doesn't pull his own out more often. Anonymous, mediocre, invisible, take your pick. He's the one in midfield I'd dump first.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Faded badly when we needed him the most, as always for me.

It's all well and good spraying the ball around for half a game or against a piss weak Rotherham team. Maybe I am being harsh, but I thought he dissapeared personally.

Hopefully we won't be seeing much of this player now Jedinak has signed. 

• Like 3

Jedniak, Tshibola, Westwood, Gardner are a very good midfield core to have. Plus we can add Bacuna, Lyden, and I guess veretout to that list if we are really short due to injury.

For once I feel confident with the midfield. 

Wasn't bothered about him going in the extent of his ability (was more concerned for depth reasons), but he has started the season very well and will be a key member of the squad going forward.

5 hours ago, meregreen said:

Personally, I thought he was pants.Stands off players too much when he should be pressuring them. Covers plenty of ground, but does so little. Good at pointing his finger, pity he doesn't pull his own out more often. Anonymous, mediocre, invisible, take your pick. He's the one in midfield I'd dump first.

What a load of -------, I was at the match he bossed it till the last 20 mins only remember 1 stray pass and I am not his biggest fan, but credit where credit is due.

Edited by tismyk
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Faded badly when we needed him the most, as always for me.

It's all well and good spraying the ball around for half a game or against a piss weak Rotherham team. Maybe I am being harsh, but I thought he dissapeared personally.

Thats a to a T tbh, he never really does anything besides pass the ball sideways

• Like 1

5 hours ago, meregreen said:

I'm not a big fan but he was excellent. Passing was good, touches were good and he closed down well and got stuck in. His work rate was excellent and he was way more involved in the game than tshibola. Yes he faded, but the whole team did and we stopped keeping the ball so no wonder he wasn't as involved as much. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, astonaidan said:

Thats a to a T tbh, he never really does anything besides pass the ball sideways

Did you go to the game? Pretty much everyone from this thread is praising him for the two home games...

Whilst I thought he mostly played quite well, his passing last night was really bad. They were accurate, yes, but he never hit them with any pace at all, by the time the ball reached it's man, it was practically at a standstill, and most of the time his passing absolutely killed any pace we had in counter attacks or when switching flanks. Other than that he put himself about well and until the last 20 was very good, but most players tired in the last 20 so not much of a specific criticism.

I do really rate Westwood, but his passing last night was poor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Whilst I thought he mostly played quite well, his passing last night was really bad. They were accurate, yes, but he never hit them with any pace at all, by the time the ball reached it's man, it was practically at a standstill, and most of the time his passing absolutely killed any pace we had in counter attacks or when switching flanks. Other than that he put himself about well and until the last 20 was very good, but most players tired in the last 20 so not much of a specific criticism.

This has been my main gripe with our midfield (not just Westy) for years.

One of the most frustrating things when watching us play.

7 hours ago, meregreen said:

I thought Westwood was average as well last night, he underhit a fair few trademark sideways passes.  He was nothing more than ok; it's amazing how people see the same game differently.    He will definitely be dropped first.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I feel like you're remembering one pass, which I also vividly remember, and not the whole performance. 

I hate the phrase "I'm not his biggest fan" but I am a Westwood critic. However last night he was heavily involved in all of the good play for the first hour. He's not a defensive midfielder though, so while Tshibola continued to look decent when we under the cosh Westwood was overran. It's at that point that even somebody like Sanchez would have made a big difference. Or Jedinak, of course. 

Overall I've been impressed with him so far, I think he has found his level. It's a long season and I think he will have a big part to play. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I feel like you're remembering one pass, which I also vividly remember, and not the whole performance. 

I hate the phrase "I'm not his biggest fan" but I am a Westwood critic. However last night he was heavily involved in all of the good play for the first hour. He's not a defensive midfielder though, so when Tshibola continued to look decent when we under the cosh Westwood was fairly anonymous. It's at that point that even somebody like Sanchez would have made a big difference. Or Jedinak, of course. 

Overall I've been impressed with him so far, I think he has found his level. It's a long season and I think he will have a big part to play. 

I know which one you're on about, but I'm not just thinking of that one pass, I was thinking it pretty much throughout the entire game, the one that got intercepted was just a particularly bad example. On the whole I just felt like it was all a little too slow, I remember Grealish or Bacuna often having to almost stop their runs to control a pass behind them. By the time pretty much any pass Westwood made over 10 meters got to the intended target, the ball was almost stopped.

The rest of the game he was good, I just felt he had a bit of an unusually poor game for passing.