Ashley Westwood

Nabby

2 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

How odd that people are choosing now to criticise Westwood. First of all, I think he's had a really positive start to the season. I went to the Rotherham game and he was excellent. Was happy for him to go this summer but he's definitely got enough ability to be an important player at this level, and a season or two in the Championship should do him good - none of our players were making any progress over the last few years and Westwood's done well to come out of it and pick things up, unlike several other players.

Even if you still don't rate him all that much, though, the fact is we need a squad and shouldn't be getting rid of him for that reason at least. With that in mind, I have no idea why people are having a pop now.

People have a pop all the time - just read back. He even gets slaughtered when he doesn't play :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Bit simplistic, that pie chart. 

Yep. It simply proves that those who say he only passes backwards and sideways are talking out ther backsides :thumb:

• Like 2

I don't care what way he passes the ball once he plays well and is making a positive contribution to the team.

Westwood has been a victim of Villa over the last few seasons. He was part of our young and hungry policy (austerity measures). He had spent most of his career playing in League 2. He was signed as a 22 year old while playing in League 1 but had very few appearances at that level. He was then thrust in to the centre of midfield in the Premier League and was tasked with essentially being our main central midfielder. He came from a lower level where fitness pace and technical ability is miles away from the standard of the PL. He should never have been given that responsibility. He should have been integrated in to the team slowly, being allowed to develop the attributes mentioned above. In a better run club he would have been. Who knows how that would have worked out? We'll never know. 

Right now he seems to have started the season pretty well, has never given less than his all, is an intelligent footballer and I for one hope he goes on to be a big player for us this season and beyond. If he does or doesn't remains to be seen but with what seems like a better squad around him he'll have more of a chance than he had the last few years. 

• Like 1

I'd be fairly happy to have him as a squad option, to be used in a 3 man CM in games where we are expected to dominate and keep possession on their half.

When on the back foot under pressure thou he is the proverbial chocolate teapot and must be subbed or on the bench.

Obviously I still feel we must sign another starting 11 CM after Jedinak to have a solid midfield as we lack creativity.

Has made more tackles per game (average) than anyone else in our squad.

Has made more interceptions per game (average) than everyone other than Elphick and Hutton.

Has the highest passing accuracy of anyone in our squad whilst making more passes than anyone other than Baker.

Has more shots per game (average) than everyone other than Gestede and Ayew.

"Does nothing".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Has made more interceptions per game (average) than everyone other than Elphick and Hutton.

What? Hutton has contributed positively to this season? I don't understand this at all.

Let's see how he goes in the same side as Jedinak, could be great for him to just concentrate on what he does best. Jedinak can do the dirty work and give it to westwood when we want to hold on to the ball. 

I don't mind him being anonymous and keeping us the ball at all, as long as that is his only job. Jedinak can be an enforcer and someone else can be more creative and dynamic, westwood can just be the glue no worries.

I think he's a tidy player, does the basics well. 

He doesn't dribble much with the ball, which I'd like to see him do or doesnt do rash challenges people think he does nothing. 

People have raved about Gardner and Westy is far more superior to him IMO.

Wouldn't mind him being replaced but he isn't as bad as some people make out.

But how many of those passes where under hit so the player had to stop and wait, slowing the tempo down? :)

Seriously thou, gotta love that this might turn into the new Bannan thread, need more heat maps.

Nothing like the Bannan thread.

A player is actually playing well and people are still putting him down and demonstrating lazy stereotypes.

The Bannan thread was one guy going to extreme lengths.

• Like 1