Ashley Westwood

Nabby

3 minutes ago, nazvfc said:

I was at the game and cissoko played well. Wish we would stop knocking our players. The team as a whole payed well. Even if it was Rotherham they still have to be beaten. Happy with the way they played.

I was also at the game and while he was no means terrible he's a liability and I think he was our worst player today. 

Unfortunately I don't think Westwood will consistently feature as it seems we want another midfielder.

21 hours ago, useless said:

Never seen Defour play.

Career ruined by injuries, will never be the player he was going to be sadly. Was brilliant when he first hiot the scene but keep getting recurring problems. Still very useful when he stays fit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicho said:

I was also at the game and while he was no means terrible he's a liability and I think he was our worst player today. 

Unfortunately I don't think Westwood will consistently feature as it seems we want another midfielder.

No way in hell , was he the worst player today

Not sure if it's just the difference in the league, but shocked at how quick he was getting to the ball today. Even his sideways passing was with a purpose today and not just to get rid of the ball. Never been a fan, but if he plays like this every week I'll be happy

18 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Not sure if it's just the difference in the league, but shocked at how quick he was getting to the ball today. Even his sideways passing was with a purpose today and not just to get rid of the ball. Never been a fan, but if he plays like this every week I'll be happy

i didnt see the game but sadly we have been here before with Westwood, he has the odd game when he is very good and looks the paet like the cup semi final but he never kicks on and does it consistently

• Like 2

Echoing what others have said, I thought Westwood was excellent today. He shielded the ball well, passed crisply and shifted the play across the pitch brilliantly. He also covered the defence well and seemed to track his runner closely, whereas in the past he's been guilty of switching off on occasion.

Before the game, I must admit I was happy for him to be moved on.Seeing his performance today, admittedly against fairly weak opposition, I think it's really important we keep hold of him.

15 minutes ago, TB said:

Or maybe he all of a sudden finds himself in a team with a fairly competent and organised back four for once, and players in front of him making runs and taking up positions to provide some passing options?

exactly. he's a lush piece of grass in a jigsaw. uninspiring on its own and can look pretty useless, but with the rest of the pieces connected properly around him, you get a lovely landscape.

It's a jigsaw analogy. Tessellation.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 3

Didn't see the game but glad he played well. 

I thought Westwood made other midfielders shit though? He apparently made Gardner shit against SW. Didn't seem to affect tish today (going by his thread)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

exactly. he's a lush piece of grass in a jigsaw. uninspiring on its own and can look pretty useless, but with the rest of the pieces connected properly around him, you get a lovely landscape.

It's a jigsaw analogy. Tessellation.

Um. Tesselation is another thing altogether. A pattern made up of various blocks, repeating itself, and I'd hate that based on the last seasons. A jigsaw is a set of pieces that makes a picture when joined up correctly.

Last year's Villa team reminded me of a late 70's MAD 'advertisement':

"The ultimate gift for the family member you absolutely hate. 500 jigsaw puzzle pieces from at least four totally different puzzles. Guaranteed not to fit. At least five pieces missing. Instructions in Japanese."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TB said:

Um. Tesselation is another thing altogether. A pattern made up of various blocks, repeating itself, and I'd hate that based on the last seasons. A jigsaw is a set of pieces that makes a picture when joined up correctly.

Last year's Villa team reminded me of a late 70's MAD 'advertisement':

"The ultimate gift for the family member you absolutely hate. 500 jigsaw puzzle pieces from at least four totally different puzzles. Guaranteed not to fit. At least five pieces missing. Instructions in Japanese."

only if it is periodic tessellation! ordinary tessellation just means the pieces fitting together...

which is what I'm alluding to with Westwood. He's been playing with jigsaw pieces that either don't fit or are falling apart.

• Like 1