Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Excellent first half, faded in the second as he consistently had to do the work of two.

Will drop out for Tish/Jedi or play in a 3 with them. Either way, important member of the squad.

and then 2nd half back to getting bullied off the ball and being generally outplayed by his opposite number

He fine against when teams sit back and give him time, he can dicate games then. But any kind of pressure from decent opposition players and he crumbles - his passing goes astray and he is forced into fouls as he cant tackle and isnt strong enough.

Perfectly fine as a squad player and in a 3, but i dont think he can be playing in a midfield 2 if we want to get promoted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Excellent first half, faded in the second as he consistently had to do the work of two.

Will drop out for Tish/Jedi or play in a 3 with them. Either way, important member of the squad.

Thats how i saw it. 

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

You clearly slept through the first with your post above.

See, it goes both ways.

If you play well in the first half and are awful in the second half then your overall performance is certainly not "very good". So I hope that clears things up for you.

• Like 2

As in previous games, OK when the opponents gives us time and let us have possession.

Almost useless when they put pressure on us and the tempo goes up.

1 good and 1 anonymous half.

Competent squad option.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Has to go, he's a non-presence who cannot control games. We desperately need to sign a more dynamic player to play next to Jedinak. Westwood has a squad role to play here but nothing more than that. 

Typical of some people's views on Westwood.  Declaring he "has to go" while at the same time saying he has a "squad role to play".  So, clearly, it's not the case that he "has to go" at all - we do need a squad.

Personally, I still think he should be starting, but am happy to see him as a squad member if we can improve central midfield with other options.  I think he'd work very well in a three, or against certain opposition in a two with someone other than Gardner alongside him.

• Like 2

Just now, Troglodyte said:

Typical of some people's views on Westwood.  Declaring he "has to go" while at the same time saying he has a "squad role to play".  So, clearly, it's not the case that he "has to go" at all - we do need a squad.

Personally, I still think he should be starting, but am happy to see him as a squad member if we can improve central midfield with other options.  I think he'd work very well in a three, or against certain opposition in a two with someone other than Gardner alongside him.

Yes, he has to go from the first team. Hence why I said in the same post that he has a squad role, rather than saying he should be sold.

Really hurts me to say this. But I think the time is up for Westwood. He always looked as though he was going to be a decent player - but was one which was struggling in a poor team.

But I think he has stagnated and even gone backwards. Think it is time to say goodbye. He has played more games in the premiership than both of the Derby central midfielders, but they looked to be the better players. 

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes, he has to go from the first team. Hence why I said in the same post that he has a squad role, rather than saying he should be sold.

I interpreted it as you wanting him sold, but fair enough.  As I said, I still think he should be in the first team, with the right players around him.  Others disagree and will stick to that, which is fine.