Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I have  never been a big fan of Westwood, but I must say that for 50 minutes last night he was excellent.

I have never seen him so energetic and involved in so many good things.

the problem is, all the energy he expended in those first 50 minutes meant he was knackered with the rest of the team for the last 30 mins or so.

i would happily have let him go until recently, but if we want to build a squad, we need to keep him.

one of the problems last night was that we had NO ONE of a decent standard to come on and help out once Tish and Westwood 'had gone'.

if we sign Jedinak, but let Westwood go, we are leaving ourselves in exactly the same position.

we need a squad, we need a quality squad. And Westwood proved last night that he is perfectly adequate at this level, but just not for 90 minutes of high tempo footy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Did you go to the game? Pretty much everyone from this thread is praising him for the two home games...

Im talking in general since he joined the club, hes a professional footballer of course he can have a good game, he seems to get away with being poor in the other 90% though, seemed easier to blame the French lads last year than Westwood

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, astonaidan said:

Im talking in general since he joined the club, hes a professional footballer of course he can have a good game, he seems to get away with being poor in the other 90% though, seemed easier to blame the French lads last year than Westwood

That's nonsense though.

Judging a player based on 4/5 years of games rather than the 3 he's taken part in so far this season (which in by all accounts he's been excellent)

Especially when it's a lazy stereotype that's been done to death.

Edited by StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

That's nonsense though.

Judging a player based on 4/5 years of games rather than the 3 he's taken part in so far this season (which in by all accounts he's been excellent)

Excellent is way to much, decent be more apt. Surely the Iceland players are all class sure they had a decent euros by your logic

1 minute ago, astonaidan said:

Surely the Iceland players are all class sure they had a decent euros by your logic

No..?

I'll break it down nice and simple.

You're judging him based on 4/5 years and displaying a lazy stereotype.

I, after not being bothered if he went, am now judging him on the start of the season he's had.

Edited by StefanAVFC

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

No..?

I'll break it down nice and simple.

You're judging him based on 4/5 years and displaying a lazy stereotype.

I, after not being bothered if he went, am now judging him on the start of the season he's had.

Fine and Ill continue to judge him my way, in the long run I have proven correct about him

Just now, astonaidan said:

Fine and Ill continue to judge him my way, in the long run I have proven correct about him

Fantastic helpful attitude to take into a new season, but that's your choice.

30 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Fantastic helpful attitude to take into a new season, but that's your choice.

I have a great attitude for this season, doesnt mean I should say a player i think is shit isnt so, why dont you head over to see what gets said about Joeleen or Gabby, or even Ayew a player a lot better than Ashley. Ashley was signed when we were chancing our arms trying to find diamonds in the rough

6 minutes ago, astonaidan said:

I have a great attitude for this season, doesnt mean I should say a player i think is shit isnt so, why dont you head over to see what gets said about Joeleen or Gabby, or even Ayew a player a lot better than Ashley. Ashley was signed when we were chancing our arms trying to find diamonds in the rough

Quite massively missed the point over and over again.

I'll leave you to it.

He'll lose his place now I reckon unless we go to a 3 man midfield.

Westwood and Jedinak won't work, bit too slow and immobile.

Tshibola needs to be in there as I liked what I saw from him first half. Good on the ball and athletic, just needs to get his fitness up so he can last 90 minutes. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, astonaidan said:

Thats a to a T tbh, he never really does anything besides pass the ball sideways

Agreed. He's supposed to be our midfield lynchpin yet where are the incisive passes, the assists, the last ditch defensive challenges, the goals etc? They just don't happen, he's lightweight and weak and has been a huge part of our decline since he joined. Even last night he missed a good chance in the first few minutes. He just can't be relied on. 

Its time for him to leave now. Hopefully Jedinak replaces him on Saturday for good. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

Agreed. He's supposed to be our midfield lynchpin yet where are the incisive passes, the assists, the last ditch defensive challenges, the goals etc? They just don't happen, he's lightweight and weak and has been a huge part of our decline since he joined. Even last night he missed a good chance in the first few minutes. He just can't be relied on. 

Its time for him to leave now. Hopefully Jedinak replaces him on Saturday for good. 

Lightweight, sums him up nicely......looks lost when we are without the ball....The game passes him by,in terms of physical contact.

I'm talking generally.....didn't see tuesdays game.

Edited by TRO