Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Will be really interesting to see where Richard Dunne fits into the team when he returns from injury. Vlaar for me is a far more acomplished defender and I can't imagine Dunne wanting to take instructions from him in the same way the younger lads are at the moment.

By the time Dunne is fit, our back two will be settled in, Vlaar looks a class above, i'm sure he'll get caught once or twice over playing but some of his touches so far have been fantastic.

I think the club are primeing him to captain the side too, the twitter messages welcoming new signings is just a first touch on his way to becoming our captain. Great signing Lambo.

Well, I said in the "captain" thread a few months ago that it would have to be a new signing, as none of last season's squad were up to it.

I think I was right - early indications are that Concrete Ron and KEA could both do the job.

He's been very good so far. Him and Clark seems to form a very good partnership. He's not just concrete Ron, he's also comfortable Ron, IMO. Both him and Calrk are good with the ball for a defender.

I think the only mistakes Vlaar will make in a Villa shirt is times when he gets tackled running the ball out of defense. So many times against Newcastle I saw him do some Messi type runs to the half way line through a few players, it's all well and good when it works but I think eventually someone will stick a foot in and we'll be exposed.

How is it that he isn't captain?

Because his total appearances for us don't even reach double figures? Because he's new and appointing him captain might upset the other players who have been here longer? Let's not get carried away, he's been good and I think he's captain material, but it's a bit soon for him yet.

Bent being captain kind of reminds me of when I was kid and used to play Pro Evo a lot, I'd make the star player captain for no other reason than him being the star man.

I really don't understand Bent being made captain, unless it's designed to try and incentivise him staying here (like that would work anyway). He certainly doesn't strike me as captain material. Vlaar however does.

Â