Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I'd class him as our most important signing since Petrov

Great work Lambert & co.

You really do make the strangest comments I've ever known, consistently.

He's the first leader we've signed since Stan

Surely even you can see that

What I can see, from Internet streams and highlights is that he's a big **** who, like the team has had a good past two performances.

I'll reserve judgement on wild statements like this until January, not saying he won't turn out to be "the most important signing since Stan" (which in itself is debatably an odd context) but to say he is after 2 average and 2 good performances is a tad over the top.

Given your somewhat sketchy history of conviction in your posts I have no doubt that the first poor performance will lead to him being hailed as the next Hutton or the like

Context = Petrov being an inspirational leader, I know the guy is loved by players, staff and fans alike and I've never once doubted his commitment on the pitch but personally I feel we've lacked leadership quite often of recent years.

Timing = 4 matches into the season, 1 of which was a true defensive horror show.

Context = Petrov being an inspirational leader, I know the guy is loved by players, staff and fans alike and I've never once doubted his commitment on the pitch but personally I feel we've lacked leadership quite often of recent years.

Timing = 4 matches into the season, 1 of which was a true defensive horror show.

Completely agree.

I'm as excited as everyone else about the win on Saturday and the way that we played may ensure we see some more coming our way, but some of the comments on here are far too premature.

I just don't know why some people can't enjoy the now for what it is instead of attempting to predict the future based on the back of a couple of good performances. A loss and a bad performance next week and it'll be all doom and gloom again on here no doubt. Let's just taken each game as it comes and not get ahead of ourselves shall we?

Guys weve just won our first home game since march - and our first convincing home win - possibly since we played Norwich just after MON left (Ignore the irony !)

Weve got a great chance of beating Southampton and WBA in our next two games - just enjoy it - isn't this what we have waited over 2 years for ?

Loved when he looked down on Dyer. Epic. "THIS IS MY HOUSE!"

personally - taking all villa bias out of it - i thought it made him look a right knob..... he wouldnt have dont that to Duncan Ferguson

pick on someone your own size ron :)

personally - taking all villa bias out of it - i thought it made him look a right knob..... he wouldnt have dont that to Duncan Ferguson

I bet he would, you know.

Of course he would.

He's made of frickin' concrete, what's he got to be scared of?

If the guy grows a beard then strikers everywhere may as well give up. Game Over.

Ron Vlaar is 'colossal' - Paul Lambert

PAUL Lambert has explained that his decision to change the captaincy is a reflection of Ron Vlaar’s “colossal” leadership rather than a statement on previous stand-in skipper Darren Bent.

Stiliyan Petrov is still the club’s official captain while he continues his battle against acute leukaemia.

But Lambert has been looking for the right on-pitch leader to inspire Villa in Petrov’s absence and Bent wore the armband during pre-season and for the first four league and cup games.

Vlaar was named captain for the first time against Swansea on Saturday and produced a typically commanding performance as the Villa backline kept their first top-flight clean sheet of the campaign.

“Ron was amazing,” said Lambert of the former Feyenoord skipper.

“When he took the ball on the run for 40 yards, I told him I pay him to defend, don’t even do that!

“But I thought he was colossal on Saturday, and has been colossal. He and Ciaran Clark and the two full-backs were excellent.

“Ron’s not a young kid, he’s not 21, he has been at a huge football club himself and I just think he is a top player.

“I just wanted to give Darren a break, I wanted him to concentrate on scoring goals.

“I think Darren Bent at Newcastle the other week and again on Saturday was excellent.

“He is playing well but I thought I would change it and let him just concentrate on scoring goals.

“Christian Benteke gave Darren a boost and there is real competition there with Gabby Agbonlahor coming back too.”

Definitely the right choice for captain.

I think Ron Vlaar has all the traits in place to make him a legend at our club. I really hope he continues in the form he showed on Saturday and stays with us, hopefully un-injured, for many years to come! If so, his name is going on the back of my shirt :D

I dont think he would............

Â