Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I've seen him have some really good games and not so good games, he is injury prone and that plays a derogatory part.

When I think of Laursen in comparison, I think of commanding in the air, particularly at set pieces, we don't have that anymore, we are vulnerable in the air.....Hence we get bullied, and with balls over the top, they don't get dealt with.

I would welcome a new commanding Centre Half and I think all the others in our squad are built/ have a style, to play off one.

I think Clark is showing signs of that sort of dominance...his performances this season have improved almost week on week.

• Like 1

Lucky Okore was on the pitch to make sure he wasn't the worst player.

Praying we don't give him a new contract.

Difference being that Okore is 22 and playing in what is essentially his first season in this league, given the length of his injury last year. Ron is supposed to be the leader, the wise experienced pro. It was a completely gutless performance.

As I've said in the Okore thread, Vlaar was the senior defender today per se and up until a few months ago he was our club captain. Today he looked nothing like that sort of a player, in fact Bacuna (who isn't even a defender) was our best defender and Okore really needed Vlaar to pull him through. He didn't.

Vlaar is a 30-year-old defender, coming back from a fantastic World Cup and being a Netherlands international. As Ron Vlaar, as soon as you see your 22-year-old defensive partner having a bit of a flop in the early stages of the game, your job is to grab him and yank him out of the mess, you get in his ear and you help him out. Vlaar didn't do that today, instead he actually left Okore to his own devices and had an awful game himself. 

Leadership is key in all parts of the pitch and today is a clear case of there being very little leadership in our team, let alone in defence where it looks as if without Clark we have no leadership at all. 

I thank him for the good times but I really hope we let Vlaar go this summer so that the partnership of Okore and Clark can grow. I wish him all the best at Ajax (should he agree terms with them).

Jesus, spot on! And our team under him as a captain reflected his lack of leadership too. Look at how Delph leads and compare... great post mate.

Why do we need a scapegoat? It seems Vlaar is being singled out in an awful team performance. The key word being TEAM. Today was Vlaars first bad game in ages and that goes for the rest of the team. Ideally I'd have liked to rest a load of players next week but our defence needs to play again just to get it out the system.

• Like 1

Just woeful today. Less than a year ago he was one of the star players for the Netherlands as they got to the World Cup Semi Final. Football eh?

Doing an Alpay as its called.

• Like 1

I am a big Vlaar fan, but he's had some horrible games since he came back from injury and that was by the far the worst, probably not his worst overall though, surprisingly.

Also this is probably unfair on Hutton, but as soon as he comes back in the side we look unbalanced and terrible, not sure what Lowton did wrong in that position and why Cissokho is not even under consideration as he maybe slow but positionally he's the best defensive left back we have.

We are stuck with Vlaar for the final as I can't see Sherwood risking Baker or Senderos at this stage.

The worst game he's had for us and possibly the worst he's had in his career. I like Ron but on the strength of that and his other slips in the last few games, I don't think we should be offering him a new deal after all. 

I think Vlaar was hungover or something. Not all his fault of course but it was his naffness that started the rout well and truly. I think they were all complacent but maybe Vlaar with his career to be decided was just that bit more distracted. All will be forgotton if he helps us win the fa cup.

I have never taken to Vlaar, bang on average most of the time however in his defence he was playing on the wrong side of the pairing along side Hutton who was also having a nightmare on his opposite side. It was never going to be easy for either of them.

Play like that at Wembley and it will be a cricket score for Arsenal, personally I'd play Baker on the left every day of the week over right sided players. We have 2 weeks to get 2 left sided defenders ready for our biggest one off game since 2000 otherwise we are in big trouble.

What I would give for Laursen and Mellberg back.......

We need to rebuild the defense this summer. We need a top top CB to replace Vlaar and a good LB and GK.

Agree with CB and LB but think Guzan is still good enough

Unfair to jump on Vlaar, he was poor, should of marshalled his defence and didn't, but Okore was very poor and Hutton looked out of sorts, there was all sorts of gaps in the defence. The high line away from home was a bad decision, and the midfield were poor at assisting the defence also. Bad day all round. Thought Sanchez would have been a better than Westwood after the second goal went in, also Delph gave the ball away cheaply yesterday but by then they were all rocking.

That said, would not be bothered if Vlaar left, we need to invest in a very decent centre back and build the defence from there.

Edited by thunderball

Am I the only one who thinks people are overreacting a bit with regards to packing him off in the next bus out of here. Yesterday was an absolute disaster and he gave away a stupid penalty against Stoke but asides from that he has been great when he's played. Go back a few pages and everyone is talking about what a colossus he is.

Losing him wouldn't be the end of the world but I definitely think he's worth a new 2 year deal.

Â