Speculation: Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Feyenoord

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't want him in the first place because i don't rate him as a footballer all the footage i have seen of him he looks heavy legged and not up to premiership pace similar to what Bouma was like when he first joined us the difference is with Bouma he had the attitude to succeed and became a quality player for us this bloke has a bad attitude and doesn't deserve to wear the shirt next target please

and rightly so given what we do know....blah blah blah....

And what do you know that I don't? Because our manager seems to think otherwise.

Glad to see he's getting unequivocal support. You can always count on the Villa fan base for that at least.

Anything. You people will pounce on ANYTHING.

You should try reading his post instead of hilariously changing it to quote.

Quite clearly we've showed an interest in the player, there is photographic proof he was at villa park. There are quotes from the player and people high up in his club that show he was interested in the move and there was even photographic proof of him being left out of the official team photo.

How you can dispute what Ulver put forward in the post above yours is crazy.

What's trust got to do with it? Ulver is just stating the facts and i agree it's poor conduct. You can't leave a brother hanging like that!
facts by his agent might be slightly biased. PL sounds like a decent man from what I've seen so I'm sure there are some facts that havent been mentioned. Facts are always facts but without the whole story or all the facts it may not tell the whole truth

What's trust got to do with it? Ulver is just stating the facts and i agree it's poor conduct. You can't leave a brother hanging like that!
facts by his agent might be slightly biased. PL sounds like a decent man from what I've seen so I'm sure there are some facts that havent been mentioned. Facts are always facts but without the whole story or all the facts it may not tell the whole truth

Yes facts by his agent may be but what ulver was saying wasn't based on just what his agent had been saying.

In MON's time he was usually very quick to go public to quosh speculation about transfers of particular players when he wasn't in fact interested in them. That's a sensible way to do business: it lets player, agent, club and fans know exactly where things stand.

However honourable Lambert and AVFC have been in this, as people are claiming, it's pretty clear that Vlaar didn't know what was going on and by any standards that is quite poor.

What is the benefit of casting aspersions based on assumptions and guesswork? Suppose the club has made 100 footballing, business and marketing decisions in the past 5 years and they've messed up a dozen of them, does that immediately mean all the club's decisions we don't know the full facts about must be a 'joke' or 'disgrace'?

I really hope some VTers never complete jury service. :o

Very poor from our board...

Vlaar had this to say about his meeting with Lambert "I was in Birmingham to have talks with Paul Lambert and left with a very positive impression"

So Lambert obviously did a good job when speaking to him, and Vlaar obviously bought into that and had his heart set on the move - hence the reason why he seems so annoyed now - so the easiest thing in the world to do whilst the team is away on tour was provide Vlaar or his agent with some reassurance that the club were still interested in signing him.

There's a huge amount of upheaval involved for a player moving to a new country, so it's understandable that Vlaar is anxious to know where he stands. From a communications point of view - for there to have been NO further contact whatsoever is more than unprofessional, it's just bad manners. And shows a complete lack of empathy with the player.

Again, we have reason to question exactly what job Paul Faulkner does? What's his brief exactly? What are his responsibilities? The resulting adverse PR was completely avoidable. It's been poorly handled... add to that rap sheet the unprofessional fall-out with MON, the selection of Houllier, the highly questionable appointment of McLeish against fans wishes, and now this.... Villa just look very VERY clumsy at boardroom level.

I have to say - I feel sorry for Vlaar. He obviously the desire to play for Villa and definitely looked like an improvement on what we had in that position. A good player lost.

really not nothered. said at start of thread i thought he was poor/average and still stand by it. If moves to ENgland he will go to a team like Wigan or a West Ham and be an absolute liability there

Vlaar wanted to come to Villa to play in the premier league, but also to earn more money. We're not dealing with someone who thought they were invited to our birthday party, but at the last minute we changed our mind. Lambert, Koeman and Vlaar are all big boys working in a huge business. I think some fans are putting too much credit into the feelings and emotions of a millionaire.

This was a business decision not to purchase an asset. All parties will now move on. One party will earn less money than he was anticipating and is understandably displeased.

As for Villa's reputation, I imagine this happens all the time in football. Team are interested in a player, they meet the player, circumstances change, they are no longer interested in the player. The only difference here is that the player was snapped at the stadium by a fan. Vlaar would have done himself a favour by keeping his mouth shut until the deal was complete.

Surprised this thread is still open. Vlaar has said he's staying at Feyenoord "for now" so shouldn't the thread be closed "for now"?

The "discussion" is just people repeating the case for (a) this is a very good way for Villa to have behaved or (B) this isn't a very good way for Villa to have behaved.

and rightly so given what we do know....blah blah blah....

And what do you know that I don't? Because our manager seems to think otherwise.

Glad to see he's getting unequivocal support. You can always count on the Villa fan base for that at least.

Anything. You people will pounce on ANYTHING.

You should try reading his post instead of hilariously changing it to quote.

Quite clearly we've showed an interest in the player, there is photographic proof he was at villa park. There are quotes from the player and people high up in his club that show he was interested in the move and there was even photographic proof of him being left out of the official team photo.

How you can dispute what Ulver put forward in the post above yours is crazy.

There are quotes from our manager that say he came over for a chat, nothing more nothing less. An "interview" if you like, maybe.

EVERYTHING else has come from Feyenoord, the player and of course, his agent. NOTHING else from Villa's side. Ulver put forward his opinion and presented its as fact. An opinion he has garnered from the above sources rather than listening (and trusting) the words of our own manager (who happens to be in America at the moment and rather busy building a "team")

You should get outside today, its going to be lovely again. Promise....

Is it really Lambert who handles the transfer dealings? I'd think we'd learned something from the MON fiasco.

We all have high hopes for Lambert but our board have a proven record och mishandling transfers so it's not surprising that people are

sceptical and fear the worst in this story.

If it is Lambert then this is all new to him, how many times has he signed players from other countries?

He's not used to handle professional agents and players and there's bound to be a learning curve.

None bar our famed ITK's know whats happening behind closed doors, but from an outside view we don't look all that smooth atm

Damn Richard, I believed you :winkold:
Hey, I believe what I ws told too, I had no reason not to. But now? Well god knows what's happening with this transfer. I've heard nowt for about a week now :(

On the more substantive points about lambert being backed etc I still believe that, I mean of all the things I have had since the end of May everything else has been spot on. Even on this transfer it doesnt appear to be totally over but who knows.

I will be more circumspect though with anything else from now on so as not to give some their pound of flesh