Speculation: Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Feyenoord

I'll second most of that. If we changed our minds we should have had the courtesy to call both club and player.

This x 1000

It doesn't cost much to act with a bit of class

I'd imagine we'd be up in arms if a prospective target had come over for talks, agreed to sign, gone back for his hols then left us hanging by cutting off all communication.

It's about being courteous/professional

Not that i'm surprised sadly

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if when PL came to the Club he had a view of our defensive capabilities that led him to think we needed strengthening at centre half. So he looks at a number of possible targets, including Vlaar. contact is made with Vlaar's agent and Feyenoord and it seems they are both willing to consider an offer from Villa. Vlaar comes over, has a look round and a chat with PL. Maybe possible terms are discussed.

Meanwhile, players that PL hadn't seen much of at Villa - the likes of Baker and Clark play game time and impress, looking as good as Vlaar. Maybe PL's view of Collins and Dunne is altered by their attitudes and performances in the games we've played recently.

In other words, whatever some of us think about some of our defenders, PL has come to a view that he's better off sticking with say Nathan Baker than bringing in Vlaar.

Villa are in America, they're under no obligation to immediately offer Vlaar a contract, or formally request Feyenoord sell him to us. They're under no obligation to comment at all.

or

Maybe by appearing to go cold on the deal, they (Villa) will get a better deal - it seems Vlaar and Feyenoord are/were very keen on a deal being done.

Maybe the type of pay wanted was considered too high by PL. Maybe he has no intention of airing his views on another Clubs' players demands. Maybe he was unimpressed and has just moved on. Maybe that's a classier thing to do than say "he's greedy and not as good as he seems to think he is".

Maybe he's not such a topgozer after all

What if when PL came to the Club he had a view of our defensive capabilities that led him to think we needed strengthening at centre half. So he looks at a number of possible targets, including Vlaar. contact is made with Vlaar's agent and Feyenoord and it seems they are both willing to consider an offer from Villa. Vlaar comes over, has a look round and a chat with PL. Maybe possible terms are discussed.

Meanwhile, players that PL hadn't seen much of at Villa - the likes of Baker and Clark play game time and impress, looking as good as Vlaar. Maybe PL's view of Collins and Dunne is altered by their attitudes and performances in the games we've played recently.

That could well be the case. So where's the hardship in picking up the phone and telling that to the prospective player sitting twiddling his thumbs waiting on us ?. It's not a lot to ask is it ?

Personally, i rate Clark and Baker highly and both could go on to form a good partnership one day, Clark i'd say is ready right now and would look fine next to someone with Vlaar's experience. But where's the experience and back up ?

If Collins and Dunne are still at the club stinking the place out come kick off i think i may just scream a little

It makes us look small time and amateurish imho

You don't invite someone over to see what they're like.

Not playing ability wise but personality wise of course you need to meet. And guess what the guy has turned out to be a bit of a cock, so perhaps Lambert got that impression during their meeting.

I see we all know exactly what happened, when and how, as always. Only a handful of people really know what's happened here - the idea that anyone commenting so far in this thread is clued up enough to read anything into what it means and judge the club accordingly is, frankly, bollocks.

In other words, whatever some of us think about some of our defenders, PL has come to a view that he's better off sticking with say Nathan Baker than bringing in Vlaar.

Villa are in America, they're under no obligation to immediately offer Vlaar a contract, or formally request Feyenoord sell him to us. They're under no obligation to comment at all.

or

Maybe by appearing to go cold on the deal, they (Villa) will get a better deal - it seems Vlaar and Feyenoord are/were very keen on a deal being done.

Maybe the type of pay wanted was considered too high by PL. Maybe he has no intention of airing his views on another Clubs' players demands. Maybe he was unimpressed and has just moved on. Maybe that's a classier thing to do than say "he's greedy and not as good as he seems to think he is".

Maybe he's not such a topgozer after all

The first one I think, Pete. I think we'd listen to offers for Collins but can understand the hesitancy in bringing someone else in first.

I'm rather expecting it to be Dunne and Clark first game of the season but can see some business being done in this area closer to the deadline.

Is it plausible lambert has jumped the gun only for randy to pull the rug from under his feet?

Perhaps one of our resident ITK's could clarify the situation

No it's not plausible, end of.

I'll second most of that. If we changed our minds we should have had the courtesy to call both club and player.

This x 1000

It doesn't cost much to act with a bit of class

I'd imagine we'd be up in arms if a prospective target had come over for talks, agreed to sign, gone back for his hols then left us hanging by cutting off all communication.

It's about being courteous/professional

Not that i'm surprised sadly

We don't know what was said so that's just as much speculation as suggesting Vlaar is total cock.

All we have is his agent bad mouthing Villa as he has just seen his cut go up in smoke and his club pissed off as they have not shifted a player who clearly wants out.

The man with the plan told us last week that this deal was nowhere near done.

We should have listened to Mr Lambert.

But but seemingly its better to believe Vlaar's agent according to some.

All we have is his agent bad mouthing Villa

and rightly so given what we do know. eg his client was wanted by Villa, his client was brought over to look around the club by Villa. His client obviously liked what he saw and made the bold and honest step of informing his current clubs supporters of his desire to move.

Do you really think Vlaar would've done all that had he not been told the deal was as good as done ?

Not likely.

It's piss poor conduct from our side whichever way you look at it

and rightly so given what we do know....blah blah blah....

And what do you know that I don't? Because our manager seems to think otherwise.

Glad to see he's getting unequivocal support. You can always count on the Villa fan base for that at least.

Anything. You people will pounce on ANYTHING.

There is 6 weeks of the transfer window left FFS,nobody knows what is going on other than Lambert is working on bringing in new players ,have patience when the club return from USA things will start to happen in due course. If Vlaar cannot wait that is his problem & if PL has changed targets so what.

All we have is his agent bad mouthing Villa

and rightly so given what we do know. eg his client was wanted by Villa, his client was brought over to look around the club by Villa. His client obviously liked what he saw and made the bold and honest step of informing his current clubs supporters of his desire to move.

Do you really think Vlaar would've done all that had he not been told the deal was as good as done ?

Not likely.

It's piss poor conduct from our side whichever way you look at it

So in summary you trust his agent over our manager. I'm glad that's been cleared up.