Speculation: Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Feyenoord

There must be a good reason for our stalling.

blimey, we have had our unfair share of poor signings don't we deserve the right to take our time.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in regards to the Vlaar deal.

Mat Kendrick on Twitter has just said in reply to a question about Vlaar that it is on hold and not dead.

-->

Curt Mucklow ‏@kirkyAVFC

@MatKendrick @JoeAV4

is the vlaar deal dead in the water now ?

Mat Kendrick ‏@MatKendrick

@22kirkyAVFC @JoeAV4

No, just on hold

There must be a good reason for our stalling.

yeah, we were in america

i dont see the big issue with feyenoord to be honest. we're not in europe, so why not just have the lad play in their qualifier regardless. it's not going to affect his transfer to villa, and it'll help them get into europe proper. surely that's an everyone wins situation?

when we issued liverpool the barry ultimatum, both sides were in europe, so it genuinely made a difference if he played for us or not

I agree Gazton.

Lets be honest, the photos leaked little over a week ago, yet Vlaar, Koeman and pretty much everybody connected with Feyenoord shot their bats like virgins at the touch of a woman.

At the very start Lambert said it was going to take time, something Feyenoord decided they were not preapred to give.

Exactly. Yet despite having said **** all about it, we're the bad guys?

I'd love it if we could create the same kind of tribal, siege mentality we had in the early O'Neill years. In fact, that's what I expected. It's a shame some aren't on board with that, more fool me for having faith in our support.

Maybe I'm silly, an old romantic. But this football malarkey aint what it used to be....

I will blindly support and back Lambert with his decisions for the next few years. No problem, I'm 100% behind anything he wants to do right now.

I'm happy to get fully behind the majority of our first team players and see what they can do this year.

But I just can't get fully behind Lerner. The days of blind support for me are over. After the last two years he has to do a lot more in order for me to be back on board with him. And unfortunately because of how much I've despised the last two years i can't help but think negatively about our owner at the moment.

Hopefully this time next year I'll be back to being a lot more supportive of the way Lerner goes about his business.

There's your problem then, what's the point of having such extremes either way it makes no sense?

You shouldn't be blindly supporting the same way you shouldn't be completely against something.

As i said makes no sense and is a bit odd.

Why is it odd? What's the point in judging every little thing Lambert does?

I'm behind him, I'm happy for him to make mistakes because I'm confident over the long term he is the right man for us. Once it becomes obvious he isn't or the mistakes happen too often then I can see the reason to start questioning what he's doing.

As for Lerner, I've happily said my opinion of him will change if he starts making better decisions. But after delivering one of the worst seasons the club has ever had I think it's more than fair to look at the owner in a negative light and want to see improvements.

I think different people need to be judged differently, some have the right to just be trusted for the time being and some deserve every action to be questioned and scrutinised.

Maybe I'm silly, an old romantic. But this football malarkey aint what it used to be....

This is probably a subject for another thread, but football is shite these days.

Want to know how bad it's become? I don't know who our first league game is against and I don't know when we play at St James Park or the Stadium of Light. These two venues are on my doorstep and used to be the first fixtures I looked for when they were released.

Nowadays, I don't give much of a toss.

Personally i'm not into blind faith. I'm into results for our club and until i see an improvement, i will not trust any manager at our club until they deliver what they're being paid for!

Personally i'm not into blind faith. I'm into results for our club and until i see an improvement, i will not trust any manager at our club until they deliver what they're being paid for!
Guilty until proven innocent

This is probably a subject for another thread, but football is shite these days.

Want to know how bad it's become? I don't know who our first league game is against and I don't know when we play at St James Park or the Stadium of Light. These two venues are on my doorstep and used to be the first fixtures I looked for when they were released.

Nowadays, I don't give much of a toss.

I feel for you. I'm actually looking forward to the new season for the first time in a while.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that PL lined up the Vlaar deal but now having spent time with the squad he's now unconvinced that we need new CB's? I know that Villa fans prefer to think the worst of our own players but I trust PL opinion on this and if he thinks that Collins, Dunne, Clark, Baker and Lowton are good enough then I'm happy with that bunch - never understood how Collins get's so much grief, or Dunne for that matter. We'll see but I wouldn't be surprised to see Collins and Dunne line up against West Ham.

Same token whats the point of niggling at every little thing Lerner does usually for the negative?

Its one extreme or the other, no middle ground.

It seems like that you'll blindly trust Lambert, one extreme.

The other you'll assume everything is bad from Lerner's side, the bloke who appointed the manager you blindly will trust.

As i said very odd to admit to blindly following anything, makes kind of a debate pointless as always obvious which side you'll fall and you wont ever change your mind.

Same token whats the point of niggling at every little thing Lerner does usually for the negative?

Its one extreme or the other, no middle ground.

It seems like that you'll blindly trust Lambert, one extreme.

The other you'll assume everything is bad from Lerner's side, the bloke who appointed the manager you blindly will trust.

As i said very odd to admit to blindly following anything, makes kind of a debate pointless as always obvious which side you'll fall and you wont ever change your mind.

Lambert has been in the job for a few months and hasn't managed a competitive game yet.

Lerner has been the owner for 6 years.

You don't think they should be judged differently?

I'll judge Lerner because I've seen the effect his poor decision making has had on our club recently. When Lambert shows the same then I'll judge him the same way.

And I've never said I won't change my mind. Over time Lambert may prove that I was wrong to back him and Lerner may prove to me he is a decent owner.

But after delivering one of the worst seasons the club has ever had

Really? - Can't have been following Villa for that long then

Last year wasn't one of the worst years we've had?

Points total, games won, goals scored, winless streaks. None of these were some of the worst we've had?

Lambert has been in the job for a few months and hasn't managed a competitive game yet.

I'll judge Lerner because I've seen the effect his poor decision making has had on our club recently. When Lambert shows the same then I'll judge him the same way.

And I've never said I won't change my mind. Over time Lambert may prove that I was wrong to back him and Lerner may prove to me he is a decent owner.

Yes i get that, but why the extremes?

Lerner has done plenty of good things a long with some shit things.

Yet any tiny tiny thing negative your on it in a flash, this Ron Vlaar thing Villa have done nothing wrong, nothing negative. Yet you've managed to spin it into another go at Lerner, from a very speculative story in the first place.

Nobody is perfect, Lambert wont be perfect there will be games when we will be shit and games when awesome, what do you do then with your extreme viewpoint?

Football isn't black and white which i'm sure you aware, your viewpoint just doesn't make any sense to me.

Yes i get that, but why the extremes?

Lerner has done plenty of good things a long with some shit things.

Yet any tiny tiny thing negative your on it in a flash, this Ron Vlaar thing Villa have done nothing wrong, nothing negative. Yet you've managed to spin it into another go at Lerner, from a very speculative story in the first place.

Nobody is perfect, Lambert wont be perfect there will be games when we will be shit and games when awesome, what do you do then with your extreme viewpoint?

Football isn't black and white which i'm sure you aware, your viewpoint just doesn't make any sense to me.

Tiny tiny negative things? Like hiring Mcleish? Like 2 consecutive years of relegation worry?

From what's been presented to us in regards to this transfer I've speculated that Lerner could have a sell to buy policy and this could have cost Lambert a top target. That's no different to speculating that lambert didn't want him or any other outcome that paints villa in a good light.

I think given the last two years and the comments from their side is enough to speculate that sell to buy scenario.

As for next season, I'll happily say when I think lambert has made mistakes but as long as the majority of things are going well i see little point of jumping on his back criticising him when he does get things right.

Tiny tiny negative things? Like hiring Mcleish? Like 2 consecutive years of relegation worry?

Just let it go, whats the point of banging on about it over and over? Really, what does it achieve? Well i know why, it means you can constantly drag it up as reasoning for very questionable tiny little negative things that happen from now onwards.

I dont care if we have to sell to buy, i get the impressive that you would happily Lerner gamble the club on signing players that would 'excite' you?

I dont care if i dont know who any of the players Lambert signs.

They'll be signed because he feels they will work hard for the club and happily wont give a shit if they excite the fans or not.

How it should be.

Just let it go, whats the point of banging on about it over and over? Really, what does it achieve? Well i know why, it means you can constantly drag it up as reasoning for very questionable tiny little negative things that happen from now onwards.

I dont care if we have to sell to buy, i get the impressive that you would happily Lerner gamble the club on signing players that would 'excite' you?

I dont care if i dont know who any of the players Lambert signs.

They'll be signed because he feels they will work hard for the club and happily wont give a shit if they excite the fans or not.

How it should be.

Sorry, you might still have your free scarf and remember your free bus ride and that's enough. The last two years aren't forgotten just because it's Randy Lerner for me.

I completely agree with your final point.

I have no knowledge of Lowton or El Ahamadi but i'm excited about both and glad its the approach we are taking this year. We can't afford top players so i like the idea of finding gems abroad or in lower leagues and developing those players.

I have no idea if Vlaar will be good, it's not about this particular player, i just want Lambert to be backed when he identifies a player. Maybe that is what's happening and lambert has changed his mind, but its also possible it isn't.