Speculation: Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Feyenoord

If we wanted him that badly we would've signed him. Lambert made a big deal about players who really want to play for the club, maybe he felt that Vlaar's heart was still very much at Feyenoord and he wouldn't be signing him based on a purely footballing decision.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one knows every detail behind MON and his transfer dealings but mantis you're still happy to share your opinion and question things given the details you do know. It's no different to this.
Clutching at straws there.

Question all you want but dont jump to conclusions.

Could it be a sign that all is not right? well yes it could.

Could the media statements from Feyenoord be heavily biased for whatever reason? Again yes, then again it might be Gospel.

Could Vlaar have gotten a bit carried away when in reality he was one of a number of options? Possible, surely?

I would argue that the fact that he's clearly available, and club seem more than happy to let him go, yet nobody has 'swooped' in and stolen him away while we 'do nothing' would indicate that we're hardly in the process of pulling off the biggest transfer coup of the summer.

It's fine to ask the question, just realise there's always likely to be more than one answer until more FACTS are known.

It's funny because this only really became public because a fan snapped his representatives at Villa park whilst on a tour and since then this saga has been played out in public. I wonder how many players have come though Villa park in the last week or two without a picture being taken.

Fully agree, I only got a bit of ITK info once (and shared of course with VT). It was a friend of a friend who knew Shay Given. He told me it was a done deal and would 100% be playing for Villa the next season. It was a good 5-7 days before the deal went public and complete.

I don't think many fans give credit for the amount of admin, personal terms, money moving, contracts, loans, agreements, pay-offs, registrations, that go into moving a player from 1 club to the other. I think we've got football manager to blame for that.

It makes us look small time and amateurish imho

You don't invite someone over to see what they're like. You'll have already decided before then that you want the player, you bring him over to make sure he likes what he sees

To then let the bloke leave, state to his own fans that he wants to leave and then leave him dangling is just completely shit whatever way you look at it

I always thought the rumours of Randy turning a new leaf we're likely to be false and this pretty much confirms it. He's not changed at all, the money will stay in his pocket and he'll expect Lambert to turn us around on the cheap

You know what will come next, Lambert have doubts about what he's let himself in for and another manager hunt in about 12-18 months

Sell up Randy

PS :

Any other lapsed season ticket holders had MULTIPLE (4 in my case) almost begging phone calls asking when you'll be renewing?, Makes me think talk of a massive sales increase is also well wide of the mark.

My take from the original posters comment that Vlaar was similar to Dunne is that Lambert has since taken a closer look at Dunne and figures he can work with him and save a few million to be spent elsewhere ... Dunne and Clark might just work ??

You don't invite someone over to see what they're like. You'll have already decided before then that you want the player, you bring him over to make sure he likes what he sees

To then let the bloke leave, state to his own fans that he wants to leave and then leave him dangling is just completely shit whatever way you look at it

I always thought the rumours of Randy turning a new leaf we're likely to be false and this pretty much confirms it. He's not changed at all, the money will stay in his pocket and he'll expect Lambert to turn us around on the cheap

You know what will come next, Lambert have doubts about what he's let himself in for and another manager hunt in about 12-18 months

Sell up Randy

PS :

Any other lapsed season ticket holders had MULTIPLE (4 in my case) almost begging phone calls asking when you'll be renewing?, Makes me think talk of a massive sales increase is also well wide of the mark.

Lambert has always said that character is important to him. Apparently according to Norwich fans I know that is his way of doing things. He likes to speak with them and 'interview' them. I think it is entirely plausible that Vlaar didn't pass the interview.

Re Season tickets......AVFC whether you like it or not is a business. They sell season tickets therefore you must look at this division as a sales department. Eg the people calling will be set targets which means they could either be out of work if they don't hit them or more positively striving for bonuses. That is why they are on the hard sell.

Hypothetically, if there were no other CB signings then I'd expect Dunne/Clark to be the starting pair going into the WHU game. But that's very hypothetical because I fully expect to see a new CB.

I don't agree that the club have acted amatuerish with this matter - we brought him across, had talks and have gone on tour.

Everything was under the radar and above board.

That was, until someone who happened to be on a Stadium tour took his pic and it got flashed around the interweb until he was identified and the cat was then out of the bag.

Until then, there were no journos/ITK's linking us with Vlaar.

As soon as the pics were identified by Semper Impotus (sp!) on here, the news spread like wildfire and the clamour for him to be signed by us and the press have probably pushed this on quicker than originally planned.

The same happened with OGS.

I love the internet, it's fantastic but it can seriously mess with things out of our control when it comes to transfers.

Sell up Randy

PS :

I'll second most of that. If we changed our minds we should have had the courtesy to call both club and player.

(Unless said player/club were touting their wares!)

I get the feeling the bad egg is in our camp