Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

Lowton can't defend. He only had to do a little bit as WBA sat so deep and he didn't shine at that.

He was excellent in possession and going forward in general.

Worth sticking him in team against weaker opposition I'd say.

I like Lowton, he's not the greatest defender but full backs arent proper full backs anymore (come on, Man Utd have played Young and Valencia as "full backs" this season). I think he's a good player, good enough for a bottom half PL team I think, we could do a lot worse - its a shame for him that Hutton has been so good this year so he's unlikely to see too much game time, unless Sherwood plans on keeping him on at left back even when Cissokho and Richardson are back?

I like Lowton, he's not the greatest defender but full backs arent proper full backs anymore (come on, Man Utd have played Young and Valencia as "full backs" this season). I think he's a good player, good enough for a bottom half PL team I think, we could do a lot worse - its a shame for him that Hutton has been so good this year so he's unlikely to see too much game time, unless Sherwood plans on keeping him on at left back even when Cissokho and Richardson are back?

I would if this form continues. Why not, he's shown he can play the position.

• Like 1

Not great as a defender.

.....But he does cause opposition teams problems offensively.....not just because of the penalty.

I think he is threatening.

He's worth his place in the team, even if at left back.

Like Hutton, he doesn't panic at all when he gets the ball, he actually wants to play. When we have players like this at fullback, it takes some of the pressure off the midfield.

He also wants to drive us forward, his first inclination is not always just the easy pass inside to one of the centre mids. Its a shame he's not left footed to be honest.

Glad he's featuring again. Always rated him.

Be nice to see him on the right this weekend since Hutton is out, unless he's thinking of putting Bacuna there and leaving Lowton on the left?

Guess it depends if Richardson or Cissokho are fit. I don't think we could play as we did last night with Baker at LB.

well West Brom main/only attacks was on set pieces so maybe Baker at LB isnt that bad an idea

They generally place more onus on their offensive game these days but they at least have some attribute that benefits them defensively.

Lowton has none, he is positionally terrible and he doesn't even have recovery pace to offset it to a degree. It really is a hopeless combination for a full-back, particularly in this league. He may be able to get away with it on occasion against sides who either play narrowly or lack the ability/intent to play quick transitions but more often than not that won't be the case.

Edited by Isa

Baker at left back should only be for when you want to go Full Pulis on another team.

You should never go full Pulis...

It should be illegal to go full Pulis.

Then you could call the pulis.

I'll get me coat...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've said it before and I'll say it again with Lowton in the team we score goals. Without him we don't. Can anyone work out the goals ratio with him in the team vs when he isn't since he joined? It is a big difference.

Edited by supernova26

Not sure Lowton has a major effect on our goal scoring.

Today was all about nzogbia and bacuna in terms of that.

He's doing a decent job but I still worry when people run at him, he backs off far too much at times.

Our Premier League games since he's joined we average = 1.0 goals per game.

When Lowton starts we average 1.21 goals per Premier League game.

This season 1.33 for Lowton, 0.65 for Villa. 

The most damning stat would be goals without vs goals with Lowton. This would show an even bigger disparity, but I can't work it out without wrecking my brain.

Edited by supernova26

Thought he played well today up against Alvarez who is a tricky customer

Stuck to his task and didn't go to ground easy played him onto his weaker foot again and again

I think if i had to choose though i'd rather have Hutton in the side and Bacuna. Hutton RB Bacuna/Lowton LB?

Edited by AshVilla

Â