Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

As much as we should rightly criticise his vulnerability in defence, he was also hung out to dry by Lambert. At the end of the first half, there was almost unanimous consensus that Lowton was struggling big time against Young, and good goal scoring opportunities were to likely to be the result of Young constantly skinning him. Everyone could see that. This is not revisionism or hindsight - this was astutely observed by the whole room of people I was watching in, as well as many on the site.

But Lambert didn't do anything at half-time to change anything. Surely he noticed the problem? I don't know what he told Lowton to do differently to prevent himself being beaten, dropping deeper or whatever but it didn't work - what was the rationale of keeping Lowton there instead of say Bacuna? It wasn't as if Lowton was offering much in attack either way because he was constantly pegged back by Young(he didn't have the pace to catch him on the break) and everyone knew Bacuna, on the other hand had the pace and athleticism to keep up with Young.

These types of situation I feel we shouldn't blame the player but the manager for making him look shit. If you play Barry at fullback against speedy players he's gonna look like dogshit, as he did a few times under DOL - Dennis Rommedahl FFS looked like a world-beater when up against Barry. There's a good player in there - Lowton has showed us glimpses of his ability before, his crossing, his passing and technical ability is all there for everyone to see.

It doesn't help when Lambert hangs him out to dry.

As much as we should rightly criticise his vulnerability in defence, he was also hung out to dry by Lambert. At the end of the first half, there was almost unanimous consensus that Lowton was struggling big time against Young, and good goal scoring opportunities were to likely to be the result of Young constantly skinning him. Everyone could see that. This is not revisionism or hindsight - this was astutely observed by the whole room of people I was watching in, as well as many on the site.

But Lambert didn't do anything at half-time to change anything. Surely he noticed the problem? I don't know what he told Lowton to do differently to prevent himself being beaten, dropping deeper or whatever but it didn't work - what was the rationale of keeping Lowton there instead of say Bacuna? It wasn't as if Lowton was offering much in attack either way because he was constantly pegged back by Young(he didn't have the pace to catch him on the break) and everyone knew Bacuna, on the other hand had the pace and athleticism to keep up with Young.

These types of situation I feel we shouldn't blame the player but the manager for making him look shit. If you play Barry at fullback against speedy players he's gonna look like dogshit, as he did a few times under DOL - Dennis Rommedahl FFS looked like a world-beater when up against Barry. There's a good player in there - Lowton has showed us glimpses of his ability before, his crossing, his passing and technical ability is all there for everyone to see.

The alternative is Lambert doesn't pick him. At all.

Every team in the pl has pace, especially out wide. If lowton can't find(or be coached) a way to deal with it then he should show his worth in another position or be shown the door.

Its all good blaming the manager but if he isn't good enough we need someone that is.

Well we know that Lowton only played because Hutton wasn't available, so PL has clearly seen he does need a different option to Lowton. It's not so easy to just show a player the door unless someone comes in for him, and even then he'd need replacing as we'd have too little cover for Hutton.

I thought the sensible option would have been Bacuna in midfield in place of Wienmann, who could have doubled up on Young and covered Lowton's lack of pace.

Hung out to dry?

I guess Lambert should have built his entire team around helping Lowton out then?

Maybe Lambert felt Lowton should have played better himself, against one of the most out of form wingers in the PL the last 18 months.

...but yes, Blame Lambert!

• Like 4

I'd have picked Bacuna ahead of him all day long. Although he's not as good as Lowton on the ball, his pace and power helps him out of tricky situations and although his positioning can be a bit suspect ( so is Lowton's ) I've rarely seen Bacuna beaten 1v1 as easily as Lowton was on Saturday.

• Like 3

I'd have picked Bacuna ahead of him all day long. Although he's not as good as Lowton on the ball, his pace and power helps him out of tricky situations and although his positioning can be a bit suspect ( so is Lowton's ) I've rarely seen Bacuna beaten 1v1 as easily as Lowton was on Saturday.

Fulham away last season is sufficient evidence that Bacuna isn't a right back. Edited by Robbie09

He might have had a bad day at Fulham, but he had Hazard in his pocket in the game at VP.

Could be a very good RB, but also think he could develop into a nice midfielder.I wouldn't be against the idea of playing Delph, the Rock and Bacuna as a midfield, and playing either Joe Cole or Grealish off CB.

It doesn't look like Lambert is gonna play Bacuna at right back anyway which is fair enough so we will have to put up with Lowtons lack of pace if Hutton is out again.

I hardly think Lowton cemented his place as reserve right back with that display.

I agree it was as good an attacking display from a fullback at Villa Park, also that goal at Stoke is one of the best ever scored by a Villa player and will live in our memories for ever. However none of these things make him a good defensive fullback. 

The way he defended that cross from young.....If Ron Saunders was in charge, you wouldn't see him again.

He cost us a win ...not Gabby

Anyone else think he'll be shipped out in the summer?

should be....but don't expect much of a fee.

I think thats harsh. Young has done that to many fullbacks throughout his career. 

I wasn't looking at Young....I was looking at Lowton and how he shaped up.

and there is quite a few in recent seasons that Young hasn't done it too.

all players are good....if you let em be.

Edited by TRO

Â