Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

If your best selling point is that you're versatile, you're probably not good enough to play in the premier league.

What kind of nonsense is this? James Milner's best selling point is being "versatile" and he's a cracking player.

Its certainly not his best selling point - Milner has a hell of a lot more to offer besides just versatility.

He's the victim of the Premier League disease of not being able to run at the speed of light. Doesn't matter that he can actually contol a football.

Or that he simply can't defend. Lousy Premier League!

• Like 2

If your best selling point is that you're versatile, you're probably not good enough to play in the premier league.

What kind of nonsense is this? James Milner's best selling point is being "versatile" and he's a cracking player.

Its certainly not his best selling point - Milner has a hell of a lot more to offer besides just versatility.

I agree.  Milner as a central midfielder is good enough to get into any top 5 side.  Maybe not as a starter every week, but certainly enough to hold his own, as he's proved.  The fact that he's pretty good on the wings as well if called upon doesn't mean he's some average utility player.  Lowton's "versatility" just means he's equally poor in a number of positions, this certainly isn't the case for Milner.

Yup - versatility is basically a nice bonus that Milner has. He's got ridiculous natural stamina/fitness, one of the best work ethics I've seen and good technical skills. Liverpool are incredibly lucky to have him. 

He's the victim of the Premier League disease of not being able to run at the speed of light. Doesn't matter that he can actually contol a football.

How is that a premier league disease though?

Isn't it the same in most leagues and most sports, if you move like you are running through custard you are going to get caught out.

I like Lowton, he put in some fabulous balls but seriously, he is one of the least athletic sportsman you could ever see.

Isn't it the same in most leagues and most sports, if you move like you are running through custard you are going to get caught out.

I like Lowton, he put in some fabulous balls but seriously, he is one of the least athletic sportsman you could ever see.

It's his main selling point.  I'm not saying he's not a very good player (he is), but his versatility is his main thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2888701/James-Milner-no-closer-signing-new-long-term-deal-Manchester-City-Mr-Versatile-s-mind-focused-football.html

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2466499/james-milner-versatility-makes-him-elite-without-the-fanfare

https://provenquality.com/wayne-rooney-james-milner-curse-versatility/

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/terry-venables-james-milner-the-master-of-versatility-9789152.html

To demonstrate, Matthew Lowton is a right back.  What is James Milner?  Versatile.

I think it's been pointed out many times (not least by me) that we tend to take athletes and mould them into footballers (Gabby).

It's not a rule of thumb but generally it seems to be the other way around elsewhere. The FA have been banging on about it for years, but as ever with the grass-roots coaching, sweet FA has been done about it.

I think it's been pointed out many times (not least by me) that we tend to take athletes and mould them into footballers (Gabby).

It's not a rule of thumb but generally it seems to be the other way around elsewhere. The FA have been banging on about it for years, but as ever with the grass-roots coaching, sweet FA has been done about it.

I don't happen to think that's true at all, people say it about Gabby because he's quick, but if you look at players like say, Clark or Grealish, no way on earth are they athletes ahead of being footballers, quite the opposite in fact.

It's his main selling point.  I'm not saying he's not a very good player (he is), but his versatility is his main thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2888701/James-Milner-no-closer-signing-new-long-term-deal-Manchester-City-Mr-Versatile-s-mind-focused-football.html

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2466499/james-milner-versatility-makes-him-elite-without-the-fanfare

https://provenquality.com/wayne-rooney-james-milner-curse-versatility/

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/terry-venables-james-milner-the-master-of-versatility-9789152.html

To demonstrate, Matthew Lowton is a right back.  What is James Milner?  Versatile.

Nobody is saying that Milner isn't versatile but he has many other qualities that are far more important than his ability to play in a variety of positions.

I don't happen to think that's true at all, people say it about Gabby because he's quick, but if you look at players like say, Clark or Grealish, no way on earth are they athletes ahead of being footballers, quite the opposite in fact.

So you don't think that other leagues put more emphasis on technique rather than the PL emphasis on pace and power? I thought this was always the great debating point every time England come back from an international tournament. We scratch our heads and the FA tell us something must be done, then nothing, then another abject failure.

Gabby is nothing but speed. He wouldn't be a footballer in Spain, France, Germany or Italy.

Jack has great promise but has everything to prove. The fact that he is the skilful golden boy in our squad speaks volumes.

Clark I agree I like. Always have done.

Or that he simply can't defend. Lousy Premier League!

This - he can't run at the speed of an average full back, let alone the speed of light.

In my view people are getting a little over-sentimental about Lowton.  Probably because of his highs from his first season.  He had a good season and for whatever reason he fell away.  He wouldn't be the only one who did that.  Yes there were all sorts of rumours at the time, but he hasn't had a proper sniff under Sherwood either.  But even if he does end up having a good Premier League career (which I would slightly doubt), I don't think we're going to suffer in his absence.  I hope he doesn't get to Carlos Cuéllar levels of worship by virtue of sitting on the sidelines.

• Like 1

In my view people are getting a little over-sentimental about Lowton.  Probably because of his highs from his first season.  He had a good season and for whatever reason he fell away.  He wouldn't be the only one who did that.  Yes there were all sorts of rumours at the time, but he hasn't had a proper sniff under Sherwood either.  But even if he does end up having a good Premier League career (which I would slightly doubt), I don't think we're going to suffer in his absence.  I hope he doesn't get to Carlos Cuéllar levels of worship by virtue of sitting on the sidelines.

I think he would make a really useful championhip level player, he has some ability for sure just not good enough for premier league

I agree KHV.  The kind of player I wouldn't be surprised to see get the odd promotion to Premier League from the Championship.  It's a far cry from the rightback who; at his peak; was being sniffed around briefly by Arsenal.

I agree KHV.  The kind of player I wouldn't be surprised to see get the odd promotion to Premier League from the Championship.  It's a far cry from the rightback who; at his peak; was being sniffed around briefly by Arsenal.

for a young player who showed a lot of potential, his fall is quite spectacular. personally I think it all went sour behind the scenes and I expect Lowton will be quite relieved to leave Villa when it happens

Â