Staying at Wigan: Roberto Martinez (Wigan Athletic)

VillanousOne

Hopefully when they disappear they'll stay down. Think Martinez will be managing at Anfield next season. For more than one game that is.

For crissake ! why is it taking so long to appoint a new manager ?

It"s not like we are Walsall or Oxford or something.We are a team in thr premiership and we have a good fan base. FFS what is going on ?

long? :? i think its been pretty quick so far...

have Liverpool, Chelsea & West Brom already appointed their new managers as well?

It"s not like we are Walsall or Oxford or something.We are a team in thr premiership and we have a good fan base. FFS what is going on ?

Well it's only been two weeks today since he got sacked and West Brom and Liverpool haven't got a manager either, but it could be:

a) they are still interviewing

B) they have chosen someone out of work who has agreed but is on holiday, waiting for him to come back before calling press conference

c) they have approached someone already at a club who has other job offers e.g. Martinez

d) they are waiting to see if Chelsea keep Di Matteo

e) they are after someone who is managing at the Euros

f) they have got someone who has another job and are ironing out the financial details with their club

g) they have no clue whatsoever to go for

Either way Lerner always does his work in total privacy where possible so we and the press haven't the foggiest clue who it is. The Ole thing only came out through here and a bit of detective work from an airport staff member. We have absolutely no idea what is going on and people should chill a bit.

Why the hell would Marinez have a pc at Wigan to say he is taking the Liverpool job?

It makes no sense, surely all that would be done by at Liverpool at Liverpool if he was to be their manager?

LeBron James had an entire televised special in Cleveland to announce he was going to play for Miami....

Why the hell would Marinez have a pc at Wigan to say he is taking the Liverpool job?

It makes no sense, surely all that would be done by at Liverpool at Liverpool if he was to be their manager?

LeBron James had an entire televised special in Cleveland to announce he was going to play for Miami....

In the USA. Sadly not relevant to the way things are done in European football.

In the USA. Sadly not relevant to the way things are done in European football.

I don't think RM is leaving Wigan either, I'm only pointing out that sometimes the logical choice isn't the one somebody makes.

Also, I think you greatly underestimate the similarities between American sports and European sports. At the end of the day, no matter the country or continent, it's just people making what they feel are the best decisions for themselves.

What are the chances that Martinez will say 'I am not going to Liverpool', but leave his options open to come to Villa?

I can't see it happening myself. Not because we're not a good club to manage, because I think we are. But because I can't see how Martinez or Whelan would answer questions, without it sounding like Martinez isn't fully committing his future to Wigan :S

RM: 'I'm not going to Liverpool. We had talks, but we have not agreed terms and I am not going to sign for their club'.

Press: 'So are you staying at Wigan, or signing a new deal?'

RM: 'Eh?....'

I can't see it. I'd love him to come here, but unless he is announced as the Villa manager in a Wigan press conference (:lol:), I can only see him saying he's going to Liverpool or staying at Wigan.

(btw... I know that the press conference isn't officially happening... I'm just speculating)

have Liverpool, Chelsea & West Brom already appointed their new managers as well?

Sorry mate but i dont care when or who those teams appoint as their manager.

Agreed, two things definitely happening, RDM and RM future will become a lot clearer this week.

and those two are the candidates i didn't want to get the job.

Blimey, I'd be interested to know who you think will get the job as if either of those two don't get, I worry our list of candidates will start to reach desperation levels like last summer....

Unless you think Lambert is just going to resign from Norwich at a drop of the hat and come here?

That isn't relevant to the question he was answering though, is it?

He doesn't want to know whether or not anyone cares. He's making a point about time scales via a comparative, rhetorical question. That said, you'd imagine anyone with an interest in football would have to have at least a vague, passing interest in what opposition teams are up to.

Hello ..

Here is an Arabic Asian Villan .. lol ..

Anyways I think now Villans fans are getting more here .. but it's really not more than hands fingers !

Though most of Arabian Villans are a Crazy Villans !!!

How is the weather in Saudi Arabia?

I mean, like who the f*ck does he think he is? The man who took Wigan within a whisker of relegation three seasons in a row?
I'd say the man who kept that dreadful little club in the top division three seasons in a row is a miracle worker. (Not that that means he'd be any good managing more ambitious clubs, er, like Liverpool or, um...well, Liverpool anyway.)
Wigan's seasons in the premier league have seen them achieve 10th, 17th, 14th, 11th, and (under Robbie) 16th, 16th and 15th.

So he has delivered the 4th, 5th and 6th worst seasons they've had out of 7 and each of his seasons has involved a late scramble out of the bottom 3.

Amazing what a foreign name, sharp suit, and cool interview style can do to enhance your reputation in the teeth of the facts. 8)

Briny not considering that he didn't have Valencia, Palacios, Baines, Cattermole, all sold for massive money but that investment wasn't given to him to strengthen. Ask yourself this, did DW make a big fuss about Steve Bruce about him staying, he knows as soon as Martinez goes they are royally ****.

LeBron James is "the new Michael Jordan" sic, or the Lionel Messi of Basketball. The biggest name in the NBA.

Roberto Martinez is at the most a towel-boy in the world of football, not sure he merits his own televised special or PC for that matter...

Now if Messi were to move im sure the media cover would beat anything we've ever seen in football

Maybe this is the way forward for our managerial appointments? Turn them in to a reality TV series like the Voice or "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Dunne/Collins"?

All candidates could be sent to a Boot Camp, put through their paces tackling various managerial issues (late night drinking by the youth team, early morning drinking by the central defence, inappropriate tweeting by Zoggy, etc.) and voted off by the audience according to how they do.

Last man standing gets the job! :P

I thought it might be interesting to compare Martinez’s premiership record at Wigan with McLeish’s premiership record at Birmingham before joining Villa:

Martinez (Wigan):

P 114 W 29 D 34 L 51 F 119 A 202 Pts 121

McLeish (Birmingham):

P 100 W 26 D 35 L 39 F 108 A 145 Pts 113

Win percentage: Martinez 25.43 %, McLeish 26 % (McLeish better)

Loss percentage: Martinez 44.74 %, McLeish 39 % (McLeish better)

Goals scored per game: Martinez 1.04, McLeish 1.08 (McLeish better)

Goals conceded per game: Martinez 1.77, McLeish 1.45 (McLeish better)

Points per game: Martinez 1.06, McLeish 1.13 (McLeish better)

Despite just about managing to stay up each year (unlike McLeish, of course), it seems that Martinez has otherwise been even less successful than McLeish had been at the time he joined Villa, on just about every score (even at winning games and scoring goals!).

It might be argued that Birmingham are a bigger club than Wigan with more resources (or were...), but the comparison is still not very flattering for Martinez.

Martinez (Wigan):

P 114 W 29 D 34 L 51 F 119 A 202 Pts 121

McLeish (Birmingham):

P 100 W 26 D 35 L 39 F 108 A 145 Pts 113

Win percentage: Martinez 25.43 %, McLeish 26 % (McLeish better)

Loss percentage: Martinez 44.74 %, McLeish 39 % (McLeish better)

Goals scored per game: Martinez 1.04, McLeish 1.08 (McLeish better)

Goals conceded per game: Martinez 1.77, McLeish 1.45 (McLeish better)

Points per game: Martinez 1.06, McLeish 1.13 (McLeish better)

but key stat

McLeish 2-0 Martinez on relegation and nearly made it 3 with Villa