Staying at Wigan: Roberto Martinez (Wigan Athletic)

VillanousOne

Well i think Martinez would be an absolute breath of fresh air to this stale old club.

He is without doubt the most positive manager i think i have ever seen & that surely to goodness is exactly what we need here as Aston Villa has been strangled for far too long by a cloud of negativity...

Negative press, negative managers, negative fanbase in fact negative from top to bottom to inside & out... The negativity is infectious & i think large swathes of our fanbase, & i'll include myself in that on occasion too especially last season, players & in fact everyone associated with the club has been touched by it to some extent over the last 2 dog awful seasons. Just take a look at many of the posts coming in already at the 1st hint that he may be the man................ Negative!

Mr Martinez could have the exact opposite effect by similarly spreading a wave of positivity through the club...Positivity is also infectious & i can't wait for the day when we have a positive manager, positive football, positive players & positive fans & you know what? that may even generate some long overdue positive press about this great club!

He promotes attacking attractive football & whilst any new manager poses a bit of a risk element i would be delighted if he comes here.

Yep & Martinez record in the transfer market is hardly inspiring

Di Santo, Bosselli etc etc

Di Santo was their top scorer for the season. Bent is the only person in our team that scored more. I don't rate the guy but he has clearly done his job for Wigan this season.

RM has done whats been asked of him at Wigan and done it on a tight budget while playing some entertaining football. His teams have had some bad lows but also had some amazing highs. At the moment we don't seem capable of really challenging for CL places or titles so I would enjoy having a manager who sets up his team to win every game.

Still not my first choice but not a bad candidate.

Mowbray at WBA got them playing attractive football but went down every season

I'd like us to remain a prem outfit We do not have the players to start playing the "martinez" style of football

Its no good appointing Martinez and not backing him if Lerner thinks he can get Martinez in and spend hardly any money in the summer we are doomed

Who says we are not going to buy players, yes we have been a selling club, but why do you constantly have a go at the club for this, If a top player like Yorke, downing Milner Barry and YounG decide to move on to compete in Europe and collect cups how can the club stop them, in the list of players i put which 1 has not won something since leaving apart from young who is in with a shout with Man U. having a player who does not want to be at the club is counter productive, If these players wanted to move to a Wigan, Sunderland or Everton then I would agree there was problems within our club and we lacked ambition, Just ask Arsenal a successful club how hard it is to keep a player who wants to go.

I can see Collins Dunne & Warnock rubbing their hands at the prospect of Martinez

It would be same old same old & they'd run amok & cruise for another 12 months

We need a tough authoritative person who they would respect or be booted out

his transfer record is poorer than mcleishs unbelievable. his defensive record is quite abysmal. so imagine him amanging that oaf dunne and collins?? god help us

the one benefit though is he will get best out of n zogbia

Mowbray at WBA got them playing attractive football but went down every season

I'd like us to remain a prem outfit We do not have the players to start playing the "martinez" style of football

Its no good appointing Martinez and not backing him if Lerner thinks he can get Martinez in and spend hardly any money in the summer we are doomed

You really are quite like Hudson from Aliens aren't you?

The negativity about Martinez on here is depressing. This is a young, intelligent manager who is clued up about English and Spanish football. He has a distinct style, set Swansea off with the way they play and is doing it with Wigan. Give him some time and money and he will give us a identity on the pitch, something we've desperately lacked.

Martinez, Lambert, Rodgers I'd be happy with any of them. They all finished above us last season with naff teams.

We all want the best man for the job but live in dream land, we all myself included were desperate to get OGS, unproven, lacking in experience but we still wanted him, why - because a gut feeling told us he was right for us, I have the same feeling about Martinez but he is less of a risk than OGS.

I would trust RM more in the transfer market than OGS. he can get players for the right wages at Wigan with there ambition so he can do even better here.

I dont want Lambert as we would just spend all the time comparing him to MON and go back to playing that type of football.

I can see Collins Dunne & Warnock rubbing their hands at the prospect of Martinez

What's this based on? Can't recall him having any problems at Wigan. Also didn't you want AVB at one point?

I seriously doubt all of COllins, Warnock and Dunne will be hear next season anyway.

with 1 year left on their contracts they wont be cruisng but trying to make a point, Who is to say there performances werent bad just to get rid of the manager, for 2 years now we seem to do just do enough to survive, yet when we need to do it we can.

CI wrote:

What an absolute load of pish

CI wrote:

What an absolute load of pish

Scroll past his posts. Works for me.

The negativity about Martinez on here is depressing. This is a young, intelligent manager who is clued up about English and Spanish football. He has a distinct style, set Swansea off with the way they play and is doing it with Wigan. Give him some time and money and he will give us a identity on the pitch, something we've desperately lacked.

Martinez, Lambert, Rodgers I'd be happy with any of them. They all finished above us last season with naff teams.

^^ X2

I would like Martinez. He is young, plays football the right way, good communicator, honest etc

I think he would be good to rebuild usand would even get N'Zogbia playing well. He also is getting a good reputation to attract players. The only bit I doubt him on is buying strikers, but we have Bent so it should not be a major issue.

Why do you think Gabby wants MacDonald to get the job! Easy ride, that's why! Someone new coming in from the outside is what is needed. Someone that wouldn't stand for any shit. I can't see Martinez being a push over to be fair. I get the impression that he demands respect off his players and rightly so!

I've been quite impressed with Martinez from a tactical sense. He got Wigan playing some very good free flowing football toward the end of last season. He can work within a budget which is a bonus given our current financial plight.

My biggest concern is his demeanour. He comes across as quite a timid and quiet person. I get the impression the bigger characters in our dressing room (the clearings in the woods) will be able to walk all over him.

For that reason I'd prefer Lambert but wouldn't be upset at the prospect of Martinez. After McLeish it like being offered lobster or caviar after eating dried shit for a year.

I can not for the life of me see why people give players so much stick and make assumptions on them based on no facts, we do not know the reasons for underperforming, we do not know what the relationship with the manager was, sometimes this has an effect, as players get older they get wiser learning more about the game in readyness to become managers, they have worked for a few managers and can see the good from the bad, by all accounts for the last 2 years they have all been complaining about the lack of coaching, corner and free kick stats prove this has been the case, the right manager and team may just transform these players back to their best.