Staying at Wigan: Roberto Martinez (Wigan Athletic)

VillanousOne

Haha... duck tape!

hate to be a pedant but there is a brand of duct tape called......duck tape

Ha really? I assume that originated from the common mis-pronunciation though, right?

Actually, Duck Tape is the original name as it was duck cloth cut into strips and covered in adhesive.

It's duct tape that came around as a result of mispronunciation ;)

Well you learn something new every day.

Man, I think all this talk of the etymology of duct tape really shows how boring the past couple of days have been with regards to our new manager search.

From Wikipedia:

Duct tape, or duck tape, is cloth- or scrim-backed pressure sensitive tape often sealed with polyethylene.
Those scoffing at the use of the term "duck tape" have made themselves look a bit daft.

It's always been "duck tape" to me.

EDIT

(BTW, no way will we get him.)

Haha... duck tape!

Ha really? I assume that originated from the common mis-pronunciation though, right?

Actually, Duck Tape is the original name as it was duck cloth cut into strips and covered in adhesive.

Duct tape is used to seal the joints or connections in intake and extract ducts to keep them air tight, it's called duct tape because it's tape for ducts. It's called duck tape because its tape by duck.

If we all agree to call it duck duct tape it'll be fine.

Finally a subject I know something about.

Not a clue on the manager though sorry (I've ruled myself out).

Haha... duck tape!

Duct tape is used to seal the joints or connections in intake and extract ducts to keep them air tight, it's called duct tape because it's tape for ducts. It's called duck tape because its tape by duck.

Anyhow. Back on topic

Who is the new gaffer (tape) going to be ? :oops:

Anorak! ;)

Haha... duck tape!

Wikiwotsit says:

Etymology

The origin of the name of the product, "duck tape" or "duct tape," is the subject of some disagreement.

One view is that it was called "duck tape" by WWII soldiers either because it resembled strips of cotton duck (canvas) or because the waterproof quality of the tape contributed to the name, by analogy to the water-shedding quality of a duck's plumage. Under this view, soldiers returning home from the war found uses for duck tape around the house where ductwork needed sealing. Other proponents of this view point to older references to non-adhesive cotton duck tape used in Venetian blinds, suggesting that the name was carried over to the adhesive product. The Oxford English Dictionary says that perhaps "duct tape" was originally "duck tape". This view is summarized most notably in a New York Times article by etymologist William Safire in March 2003. Safire cites use of the term "cotton duck tape" in a 1945 advertisement for surplus government property.[18] The Brooklyn Daily Eagle uses the term "duck" in 1902 quotation for "100,000 yards of cotton duck tape" being used to protect the cables of the Brooklyn Bridge.[19] Thus a fabric duck tape was available to which an adhesive could have been added.

Haha... duck tape!

Sadly you're wrong.

Duct tape (which is duck tape, which has nothing to do with who makes it, duck tape pre-dates the "duck" company by a huge amount of time) is actually banned in most places for use in ducts, as not only is it pretty shit at sticking them together (it has a high rate of failure due to the moisture) it also releases toxins as it burns, something you really don't want in a duct system.

And once again, it's called duck tape because it was originally made from duck cloth, not because of who makes it, seeing as duck didn't exist in the 1940's when duck tape first came about.

And errr, something about Martinez.

Haha... duck tape!

Wikiwotsit says:

Etymology

The origin of the name of the product, "duck tape" or "duct tape," is the subject of some disagreement.

One view is that it was called "duck tape" by WWII soldiers either because it resembled strips of cotton duck (canvas) or because the waterproof quality of the tape contributed to the name, by analogy to the water-shedding quality of a duck's plumage. Under this view, soldiers returning home from the war found uses for duck tape around the house where ductwork needed sealing. Other proponents of this view point to older references to non-adhesive cotton duck tape used in Venetian blinds, suggesting that the name was carried over to the adhesive product. The Oxford English Dictionary says that perhaps "duct tape" was originally "duck tape". This view is summarized most notably in a New York Times article by etymologist William Safire in March 2003. Safire cites use of the term "cotton duck tape" in a 1945 advertisement for surplus government property.[18] The Brooklyn Daily Eagle uses the term "duck" in 1902 quotation for "100,000 yards of cotton duck tape" being used to protect the cables of the Brooklyn Bridge.[19] Thus a fabric duck tape was available to which an adhesive could have been added.

The intro to the wiki article however says:

In 1942 Revolite, formerly a division of Johnson & Johnson, originally developed an adhesive tape made from a rubber-based adhesive applied to a durable duck cloth backing. This tape resisted water and was used as sealing tape on ammunition cases during World War II.

The reason it's the subject of disagreement is the same reason people disagree on if it's "couldn't care less" or "could care less", namely because people are dumb. It's pretty clear what the original name is, due to what the thing was made from.

Why would a tape, that wasn't made for anything to do with ducts, be called duct tape? As opposed to being called duck tape, after the cloth that it was made from.

Back on topic, all today has proved is what a complete cock Whelan is. RM should grow some and tell him to butt out. I though he was out of contract imminently so he does not have to get Whelan's approval for anything pretty shortly.

currently being paid to remove duct tape from lots and lots of ducts

(as yes, it really doesn't work very well)

also removing clear mastic which previous contractors appear to have thought was a good substitute for glue, oh, and replacing chipboard which turned out rather surprisingly to be rubbish as a base for showers

also replacing indestructable resin toilets, which are all broken, if it wasn't for replacing the shite that was built a few years ago there'd be no work at all

I'm really hoping we have somebody interesting as manager, not just the usual suspects on the merry go round. I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt though. You just don't know who will turn out to be a good fit and just 'click'. I thought Pardew was a fairly uninspired choice for Newcastle, so what do I know.

I'd like to think that we get a manager that somehow re invigorates a few of the players. Someone that somehow gets our highly paid players to be capable of passing the ball forward to a player in the same coloured shirt. That's probs been winding me up for a few years, I can't quote stats, but we can't pass. Unforgiveable really.

Oh, and it would be nice if our new manager got the team to score from a corner in the first game.