Staying at Wigan: Roberto Martinez (Wigan Athletic)

VillanousOne

I can't see Martinez going anywhere at the minute, but if he was to arrive at Villa Park then I'm all for giving him a chance.

Although if DW can offer him a ton of cash to stay, does that mean he has a large transfer budget?

If not, he's just getting paid more to stall his career progression.

Too many ifs and buts.

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough who the new manager is, I'd not be surprised if it was announced after the Euros.

Just can't get excited about Martinez at all. I'll give him a chance, but I can't see it as a new dawn, just "maybe a bit better than last year".

Exactly a little more attacking with the same shitty defending!

If we do end up appointing Martinez then he'd have to be backed big time in the transfer market. Well, when I say big time I'm talking at least 30 million. He would definitely need to bring in as many players as he possibly could due to the fact that there are a lot of current Villa players that would not adapt well to the Martinez style of play at all.

One plus, maybe he could get N'Zogbia to start turning up on match days. I wouldn't mind if he bought Diame with him too. Not a bad free transfer plus his wages wouldn't be too bad. I wouldn't be over the moon but we could do far worse than Martinez! I'd certainly give him my full support. Something that I haven't been able to do since O'Neill "quit"

I can't see Martinez going anywhere at the minute, but if he was to arrive at Villa Park then I'm all for giving him a chance.

Although if DW can offer him a ton of cash to stay, does that mean he has a large transfer budget?

If not, he's just getting paid more to stall his career progression.

Too many ifs and buts.

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough who the new manager is, I'd not be surprised if it was announced after the Euros.

I think that's the nub of it really. Whatever Renta Gob thinks there is only so much that RM can do at Wigan and my take is that whatever he does if he stays is not going to improve his stock or enhance his prospects. Maybe that has finally dawned on him and all the money DW offers him does not change the fact he is managing Wigan.

Perhaps not unsurprisingly the problem in this whole saga is DW himself. My neighbour is an pro footballer now involved in management who played with RM at Motherwell. His take on RM at Wigan is that the DW/RM relationship is almost akin to a father/son relationship as RM feels he owes DW for bringing him to the UK as a player and effectively resurrecting his career. (BTW no ITK claimed as that was a conversation last year after RM turned us down)

Perhaps its time for the father to think what's best for his son?

I fail to see how appointing someone who has a similar record to Alex mcleish in the premier league is a good idea

Although not amazing i would say his record is better than McLeish's. No relegation yet and there appears to be a long term plan as opposed to playing eye melting shit football. But he'd need to sign 6 or 7 good players. £30m plus sales would do nicely.

We also need a quality defensive coach like Steve Clarke, or take a punt on Laursen, to try and sort out our huge defensive issues.

I think some people are seeing this potential appointment the wrong way. Villa, as a club play a style of football suitable for mid table, knocking at top six at best. That was with all our superstars available and in the team. Since they left, our football has become even more one dimensional culminating in a horrific last season. It cannot continue, there is a gulf between what the kids were asked to do in the reserve and development squads and the basic "lump and run" the first team squad were playing.

Martinez does have a philosophy, his teams can mix it but their shape is continental and the emphasis is on pass and move. The game has changed significantly over the last few years, mainly based on coaching principles from La Liga (which are arguably Futsul based). We have not moved with it. We tried under Houllier but the revolution he needed to undertake to move the squad on alienated the squad and received no patience from the fans.

For me, Martinez's appointment may have some short term gains as we couldnt get much worse than last year. The biggest gains should be in the long term with a root and branch change in the way the club plays, develops its players and is structured for the future.

Martinez or Rogers were always the right men to do that and either would get my vote and support, but most importantly, patience whilst they sort out our awful squad.

I fail to see how appointing someone who has a similar record to Alex mcleish in the premier league is a good idea

Although not amazing i would say his record is better than McLeish's.

I wouldn't. OK, Eck got the blues relegated (same season he won them the CC), but he also got them their highest ever PL finish (9th) which was their highest finish in the top division for 50 years.

Bob Martz has a PL track record of narrowly avoiding relegation each year ...

Here is my take on it, Bin dipper job and Villa job are totally different, Bin dippers have an established squad that under perform, as such new man may have to buy a couple of players and sell a couple, the main problem is because it is established the job will be to make the top 4 and have a good cup run minimum, high pressure with little reward as you are mearly progressing an established team, on top of that you have to contend with existing long term players, old players and pundits shouting how the dippers style is this and that blah de blah. in my opinion a no win situation for a young manager, crist even the England manager with his experience failed.

On the other hand at Villa the board and ex manager have done a reasonable job of clearing the decks and lowering fan expectation, I expect to see 3 more players leave over the summer to finally rid the dressing room of bad apples.

The new manager can now buy a new team with players he wants and who are hungry for success. I honestly believe that significant funds will be made available for players but the same mistakes with wages will not be made again, we were out of control and Randy quite rightly pulled the reigns in, but he always said he would have another go at pushing on when it was financially viable, i believe now is that time,

Do not look at it as we are Martinez second choice as this is incorrect, we are just another option but we are a better one for him at this time in his career. Do I think he can do a good job for us - hell yes, I think he is the best man for the job, forget Wigan and he did this and that as it is irrevelant as it is part of his training, the question is does he have the skill, knowlege and desire for the job and is he a of integrity a man who wont move on in a year and will want to see the job through.

Yep & Martinez record in the transfer market is hardly inspiring

Di Santo, Bosselli etc etc

Yes but we all shop where our finances allow, Every year he has to start the season minus his best players but he always gets them firing in the end, imagine what he could do if he could add to them players and build a team.

Yep & Martinez record in the transfer market is hardly inspiring

Di Santo, Bosselli etc etc

Yes but we all shop where our finances allow, Every year he has to start the season minus his best players but he always gets them firing in the end, imagine what he could do if he could add to them players and build a team.

This made me lol

You do realise we have been selling our best players every season since Lerner took over and were no much better than Wigan in that regard

Do not expect him to be able to do any different here and build a team i do not expect us to stop selling our best players every season

We have never had a decent sized squad at Villa for a reason

Although not amazing i would say his record is better than McLeish's.

I wouldn't. OK, Eck got the blues relegated (same season he won them the CC), but he also got them their highest ever PL finish (9th) which was their highest finish in the top division for 50 years.

Bob Martz has a PL track record of narrowly avoiding relegation each year ...

And every year Wigan were one of, if not the favourite for relegation. So he is over achieving in my opinion. In terms of signings for every Boselli you could argue he also signed McCarthy (for 1m) and Al-Habsi.