Staying at Wigan: Roberto Martinez (Wigan Athletic)

VillanousOne

Will please stop banging on about the 'stats' at Wigan, a side which he has done very very well to even keep in the Premiership. Bruce had momentum on his side (see Norwich and Swansea this season) and a much more expensive squad. Martinez has done great with what he's had there, much much better than Bruce did relatively speaking, all while getting the team to play a decent brand of attacking football. That's why Liverpool flew him out to Miami and why Steve Bruce is sat on his arse hoping for a phone call from Wolves.

There is no doubt Martinez has a certain amount of potential, but at this moment in time he's nothing to get excited about and about 5th or 6th in my gettable list never mind 1st which someone said.

Whoever the new manager is, he's going to be an upgrade of the last monstrosity anyway, so I will look forward to the new season anyway.

Why the hell would Marinez have a pc at Wigan to say he is taking the Liverpool job?

It makes no sense, surely all that would be done by at Liverpool at Liverpool if he was to be their manager?

LeBron James had an entire televised special in Cleveland to announce he was going to play for Miami....

LeBron James is "the new Michael Jordan" sic, or the Lionel Messi of Basketball. The biggest name in the NBA.

Roberto Martinez is at the most a towel-boy in the world of football, not sure he merits his own televised special or PC for that matter...

Now if Messi were to move im sure the media cover would beat anything we've ever seen in football

You miss the point of what I was saying. I'm not saying that Martinez deserves the attention, I'm saying that James had the PC in Cleveland even though he was leaving his hometown for Miami.

So just because Martinez is having his press conference at Wigan doesn't mean he's staying.

People looking at his stats and saying he is shite need to use their imagination a little bit. Steve bruce has better stats, who would you rather have? I`m sure big sams stats are great, those sort of managers live for good stats, And It shows in the way their teams play.

It`s about his football philosiphy, the general idea being if he had better resources to buy a better standard of player he would be produce a good footballing team for us.

It`s about his football philosiphy, the general idea being if he had better resources to buy a better standard of player he would be produce a good footballing team for us.

Seem to recall something similar being said about McLeish last year!

Seem to recall something similar being said about McLeish last year!

#

I dont think so some how!

People looking at his stats and saying he is shite need to use their imagination a little bit. Steve bruce has better stats, who would you rather have? I`m sure big sams stats are great, those sort of managers live for good stats, And It shows in the way their teams play.

homer-thinking.gif

OK, stuff the "philosophy" (think we had a dose of that from Foolier).

I'll take the results, please.

Will please stop banging on about the 'stats' at Wigan, a side which he has done very very well to even keep in the Premiership. Bruce had momentum on his side (see Norwich and Swansea this season) and a much more expensive squad. Martinez has done great with what he's had there, much much better than Bruce did relatively speaking, all while getting the team to play a decent brand of attacking football. That's why Liverpool flew him out to Miami and why Steve Bruce is sat on his arse hoping for a phone call from Wolves.

This.

Didn't see this "decent brand of attacking football" in the 2 live games against us last year

Indeed they failed to score in both games against our woeful defence

Says it all

Didn't see this "decent brand of attacking football" in the 2 live games against us last year

Indeed they failed to score in both games against our woeful defence

Says it all

What about beating Utd, Arsenal, Newcastle etc at the end of the season?

Regardless if he is our new manager will you support him CI?

Why the hell would Marinez have a pc at Wigan to say he is taking the Liverpool job?

It makes no sense, surely all that would be done by at Liverpool at Liverpool if he was to be their manager?

LeBron James had an entire televised special in Cleveland to announce he was going to play for Miami....

LeBron James is "the new Michael Jordan" sic, or the Lionel Messi of Basketball. The biggest name in the NBA.

Roberto Martinez is at the most a towel-boy in the world of football, not sure he merits his own televised special or PC for that matter...

Now if Messi were to move im sure the media cover would beat anything we've ever seen in football

You miss the point of what I was saying. I'm not saying that Martinez deserves the attention, I'm saying that James had the PC in Cleveland even though he was leaving his hometown for Miami.

So just because Martinez is having his press conference at Wigan doesn't mean he's staying.

Ah, sorry. Yes i think your quite right. A PC in Wigan doesn't rule out that he's leaving. It could just as easily mean he want's to explain his decision to the Wigan fans at their home turf as a sign of respect to them. Or then again he might be staying, who knows?

Oh for sure, if he comes in he gets my support

I just don't think he's as good as people make out

this is where I am as well. I like what he attempts to do, im concerned if he tried to take our current squad and make them play football, he might get us relegated.

They talk a lot about how little money there is at wigan and how well hes done yet theyve been getting sky money for 7 seasons and have just been eclipsed by swansea and norwich with a lot less.

They talk a lot about how little money there is at wigan and how well hes done yet theyve been getting sky money for 7 seasons and have just been eclipsed by swansea and norwich with a lot less.

So did quite a few teams. They had fantastic seasons.

And getting Sky money doesn't mean it's going into the team.. their record signing is Ali Al Habsi for 4m.

homer-thinking.gif

OK, stuff the "philosophy" (think we had a dose of that from Foolier).

I'll take the results, please.

except results built on no substance don't last long.

Theres no doubt Martinez worked a minor miricle for those last 9 games of the season, and Whelan has been dining out on it ever since! But he's played that card now, he had the bollocks to instruct his team to knock it about and play a bit, have a go at them, all the big teams got taken by surprise, and well done to him too. But he's played that card now and I reckon that if he was still to stay at Wigan he would struggle again next season. Anyway I guess we will find out if he can hack it with a bigger club sooner enough. I like him, but he turned us down once so no thanks.

Daily Mail are adamant he was lined up for us - but may have marked his card - by having talks with pool - and now coming grovelling back to us.

Any manager is a risk - so if he came it worked it would be great - also it we be nice to see Randy and Faulkner 'get their man' - whatever you think of martinez he isn't the easy or cheap option - and I would take heart from the fact that Randy has taken the time and money to get who he feels is the best man for the job.