Staying at Wigan: Roberto Martinez (Wigan Athletic)

VillanousOne

Daily Mail had said we had spoken to him earlier in the week - which is old news but now Click Lancashire say we spoke to him Thursday and he prefers us to Liverpool, yep i don't believe it for a second either but here it is

Martinez was this week given permission by Latics chief Dave Whelan to speak with Liverpool following the sacking of Kenny Dalglish.

The Daily Mail claims Villa have also approached the Spaniard about their managerial vacancy and that talks were hold on Thursday.

The discussions were believed to be positive, to the point where Martinez is now giving serious consideration to succeeding Alex McLeish.

Clicky

I think that Whelan would have let the World know by now if he had spoken to us.

Whilst I think the story is BS...

I think Whelan would only tell the world that we're in talks if he knew Martinez was going to reject us.

it doesn't make much sense does it, Whelan and Martinez have both indicated that Villa wouldn't be a high enough step up from Wigan

Whelan may well have said something along those lines, I don't think Martinez ever did though, his rejection last summer was all about being loyal and seeing out his contract, his contract is now up....

Which also brings me onto Whelan, Whelan might not even know we've talked to him, as long as his starting date is after July 1st, there is no obligation on either Martinez or Villa to to tell him, Whelan's contract is up then and he is free to talk to anyone about starting after his Wigan contract expires without any permission being required.

it doesn't make much sense does it, Whelan and Martinez have both indicated that Villa wouldn't be a high enough step up from Wigan

Martinez was my first choice when Eck got sacked so would be happy with either him or OGS.

I know Whelan said that, but when did RM?

I'd be really happy with him or OGS. lambert would also be greta but I'd prefer one of tehse due to their playing style. We've not had consistent proper good football since Big Ron so RM or OGS would be a dream. Good times ahead!

Again, before all the talk of OGS I would have been quite happy with RM. I think I still would be happy but would prefer OGS. I admire RM's loyalty to Wigan, but I don't like how he knocked us back last time. But still, that would all be forgotten if he was appointed.