Staying at Wigan: Roberto Martinez (Wigan Athletic)

VillanousOne

Whelan's on SSN.................. now that's rare!

Give it a month and we'll be back to 'arry out a car window and Jim White shouting his own face off. Oh happy times.

BBC are saying that LFC are chasing Rodgers now.

Might well explain RM supposedly doing a PC at Wigan today.

I thought the Swansea Chairman pretty much said yesterday that Rodgers was staying at Swansea. Also, considering he's just signed Sigurdsson I highly doubt he's going anywhere. Sigurdsson is good enough to play for Liverpool IMO, so if Rodgers was going there I'm sure he'd have sign him for Liverpool rather than Swansea.

BBC are saying that LFC are chasing Rodgers now.

Might well explain RM supposedly doing a PC at Wigan today.

Thought that the PC rumour had been denied. Certainly that was the case yesterday.

Wanted Martinez last year and still do.

Martinez (Wigan):

P 114 W 29 D 34 L 51 F 119 A 202 Pts 121

McLeish (Birmingham):

P 100 W 26 D 35 L 39 F 108 A 145 Pts 113

Win percentage: Martinez 25.43 %, McLeish 26 % (McLeish better)

Loss percentage: Martinez 44.74 %, McLeish 39 % (McLeish better)

Goals scored per game: Martinez 1.04, McLeish 1.08 (McLeish better)

Goals conceded per game: Martinez 1.77, McLeish 1.45 (McLeish better)

Points per game: Martinez 1.06, McLeish 1.13 (McLeish better)

but key stat

McLeish 2-0 Martinez on relegation and nearly made it 3 with Villa

I mentioned the relegations in my post. And it's a fine line if we want to talk about what "nearly" happened. The season before last, Wigan rode their luck in their last game at Stoke and survived at Birmingham's expense. If they'd lost that it would have been 1-1 on relegations (1 out of 2 for Martinez compared to 1 out of 3 for McLeish).

I think looking at managers' overall record is at least as valid as looking at the "bottom line" of whether they stayed up/went down.

And there's not much to get enthusiastic about in Martinez's record. It's sort of like McLeish's record with a few scores like 0-6, 0-8 and 1-9 thrown in to make it "interesting".

Martinez (Wigan):

P 114 W 29 D 34 L 51 F 119 A 202 Pts 121

McLeish (Birmingham):

P 100 W 26 D 35 L 39 F 108 A 145 Pts 113

Win percentage: Martinez 25.43 %, McLeish 26 % (McLeish better)

Loss percentage: Martinez 44.74 %, McLeish 39 % (McLeish better)

Goals scored per game: Martinez 1.04, McLeish 1.08 (McLeish better)

Goals conceded per game: Martinez 1.77, McLeish 1.45 (McLeish better)

Points per game: Martinez 1.06, McLeish 1.13 (McLeish better)

Not wishing to praise mcleish here but, the first relegation was a formality before he even took the job - but he got them back up at the first attempt.... and the second relegation was sandwiched just after he won blues their only domestic trophy.......... so i know 2 relegations is a fact, but promotions and trophies are a fact as well..........

for me Martinez is the poster child of the Sky era of football, where a nice suit, tv friendly posture and a foreign name make you seem better than you actually are.............

Rafa Benitez all day for me !! Hes been there and done it..........

but key stat

McLeish 2-0 Martinez on relegation and nearly made it 3 with Villa

"Hi Harry, quick word?"

- Rolls down window - "Yeeeeeaaauuuurgh corsss. Anyfin for skoyah."

"What about *insert players name*. Any interest in him?"

- "Scud playah, but... you know, the chairman etc..."

- "Scud playah anul bart... you know, we loyak gud playah but the chairman Daniel will...you know."

- "Yeeeeeeuuuuurrrghhh we loyak im but we'll see you know. Daniel...etc etc. I fink he's gonna tah Unoitid innit."

repeat for 10 minutes then back to Jim White in the studio.

"WUT A SCOOP FOR SKY SPORTS NEWS. HARRY REDKNAPP LIKES SOME PLAYERS AND WILL BE SPENDING MONEY. LETS LOOK AT THE MONEY TOTAL FOR FOOTBALL IN NEED. A WHOPPING SIX HUNDRED AND FORTY TRILLION POUNDS HAS BEEN SPENT. I THINK MY SCROTUM LIKE FACE IS MELTING! WUT A SCOOP KIRSTY!"

Hello ..

Sorry but I wanted to put this replay in another thread ..

Anyways .. Martinez is my choice .. him or Ole !

:P Haven't seen you around here in a long time!

"Hi Harry, quick word?"

- Rolls down window - "Yeeeeeaaauuuurgh corsss. Anyfin for skoyah."

- "Scud playah, but... you know, the chairman etc..."

- "Scud playah anul bart... you know, we loyak gud playah but the chairman Daniel will...you know."

- "Yeeeeeeuuuuurrrghhh we loyak im but we'll see you know. Daniel...etc etc. I fink he's gonna tah Unoitid innit."

repeat for 10 minutes then back to Jim White in the studio.

"WUT A SCOOP FOR SKY SPORTS NEWS. HARRY REDKNAPP LIKES SOME PLAYERS AND WILL BE SPENDING MONEY. LETS LOOK AT THE MONEY TOTAL FOR FOOTBALL IN NEED. A WHOPPING SIX HUNDRED AND FORTY TRILLION POUNDS HAS BEEN SPENT. I THINK MY SCROTUM LIKE FACE IS MELTING! WUT A SCOOP KIRSTY!"

:crylaugh:

I´d really would like Martinez at Villa, was my first choice last season and probably still is, even if OGS blinded my vision for a while...

Why he has achieved very little in football. Steve Bruce has achieved more. I would except the vision of Martinez, but he dosent exactly excite me.

I´d really would like Martinez at Villa, was my first choice last season and probably still is, even if OGS blinded my vision for a while...

Why he has achieved very little in football. Steve Bruce has achieved more. I would except the vision of Martinez, but he dosent exactly excite me.

Its about style of play for me.

I think with a better standard of player together with his footballing ideas it would equal good times here.

Did he lose 9 matches on the trot at Wigan last season? If he does stay there it's because he wouldn't get away with such a shocking run of results anywhere else!!

Why on earth would anybody want martinez i dont know.

the season before he joined wigan they came 9th. steve bruce had a 34% win rate with wigan.

martinez flirted with relegation every year, and had a 26% win rate.

it's bananas the hype over him.

Bear in mind how shite we were last year I'm sure it's still etched onto everyone's brain

Yet

Sat Oct 1 Villa 2-0 Wigan

Sat Feb 25 Wigan 0-0 Villa

So 4 point and two clean sheets

I was at both games and didn't see any of this visionary Martinez football people bang on endlessly about

Ridiculous notion

Not sure anyone advocating Martinez is pretending the stats aren't damning but at the end of the season Wigan finished above Villa with far less resources than ourselves.

That's why many, myself included, would be willing to give Roberto a try.

Lambert would be a more obvious choice, probably more successful in the short-term at least. However I really feel we need a completely new approach at Villa and Roberto might just be the man to implement it. Worth a gamble imho.