Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

39 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Probably a debate that's been had many times...

Do you think Gabby would have had a career as a Premier League player if he didn't happen to come through at Villa with O'Neil as manager? I'm very unsure he'd have had any sort of top-flight career.

MON's counter attack football suited Gabby who could just sprint after hoofs and get on the end of everything. It took him about 5 or 6 years to develop much of a hold up game, which he did eventually.

For technically limited players, once the slide starts, it doesn't stop. MON's motivational skills were essential early on to get him running channels and contributing without really being about to control a pass 90% of the time.

Had he come through under a different manager, at any club, he'd have been fortunate to find anyone that suited him as much as O'Neil did.

If an 18 year old Gabby appeared now I don't think he'd get much of a look in. I think the league is much, much stronger, and far more tactical.

He had his moments under lambert and sherwood as well tbf. I think you are doing him a bit of a disservice. Vardy is a similar type player but he hasn’t done too badly 

• Like 1

He was nowhere near as technically limited as many made out, the cruel charge that he was more of a 100m sprinter than a footballer was always ridiculous to me. At a different club under a more progressive club he might have gone on to have an even better career.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think that's harsh, you make it sound like our record PL scorer won a raffle

The PL still definitely has a place for pacey players and kick and rush managers, the best winger in the league is traore, is he really that much better than gabby under MON? I don't think so

Flip it on its head and say maybe a better manager could have got more out of him, wenger for example with walcott, imagine if he'd gone for gabby instead (I maintain that wenger was a gabby fan, arsenal always held a really deep line with gabby in the team) I think walcott is a slightly better player than gabby but only just, had a defter finish in him but gabby was a more natural striker in his movement 

and FWIW an 18 year old gabby would probably have 20 appearances for us this season based on our current squad

I was going to bring up Traore! Exactly like Nuno has harnessed him really well, MON did with Gabby.

I'm unsure anyone could get much more out of Gab. They'd have wanted him to do more. If Wenger tried to get him to get involved and not play on the shoulder things would have unraveled IMO. Just being a keen chaser suited him.

Walcott's career is fading out just like Gabby's when you think about it. Just turned 31 and hasn't had an England call up in about 3 years and never gets mentioned when squads get selected. Also struggled to get in a Everton team that has been bottom half for most of the season.

With Gabby I think an early problem was he was overplayed so much. Pretty sure in 2006-07 he started every game he was fit and was only subbed off in the March of that season. Same in the following three seasons under MON. He was probably on the bench 5 times in premier league games if that many.

He got his first major injury around the time Houllier came in and then of course came the buckling up when in hindsight was an error as he lost his edge in final third.

Played well for half a season under McLeish, half a season in Lambert's first but his influence on the pitch was certainly declining. 2014 would've been a good point for him to seek pastures new as he was only 27 but of course he got a new 4 year deal instead and all the trouble that caused.

I still have a soft spot as when you think of our best wins in last 15 years in premier league and cup he scored in most of them.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

He had his moments under lambert and sherwood as well tbf. I think you are doing him a bit of a disservice. Vardy is a similar type player but he hasn’t done too badly 

Vardy is similar stylistically yes, but miles better.

Gabby could never dribble or finish like Vardy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villakram said:

O'Neill ruined Gabby, he turned into an arse of a player and was completely ruined by the signing of that clearing in the woods abomination who's name I will not type.

That is nonsense. O'Neill made Gabby into a regular starter for Villa, a key player for us when we wear a top 6 side and got him England caps. He scored 49 of his 86 goals for Villa under MON. Every season he got over double figures. That only happened one more time afterwards in 8 seasons. It isn't O'Neill fault that after 2010 he basically got fat and stopped trying.

15 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Vardy is similar stylistically yes, but miles better.

Gabby could never dribble or finish like Vardy.

No not in the same class but vardy worked much harder on his game I feel 

Vardy is rare, both in terms of how he came up and then also how he had maintained his speed and tenacity at that age

Can't be many 33 year olds with that pace, conversely there are many players like gabby who lost their pace as they hit their 30s 

I'd still be very interested if at some point houllier, post Michael Owen, pulled gabby to one side and said you need more to your game than speed cos one day it will go and that started the slippery slope in to bulking and getting his body completely wrong, whatever the case I do have a little sympathy for him, we should have had greater control over him sports science wise 

48 minutes ago, PaulC said:

When he was at his peak, Gabby always seemed to run out of steam by march and ended with 12 goals in a season when he could easily have reached 20. Always did well at Arsenal from memory. 

Because MON would run him into the ground along with other players. He playes every game and was rarely subbed off

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Because MON would run him into the ground along with other players. He playes every game and was rarely subbed off

Yes I know. MON didn't believe in squad rotation 

On 23/04/2020 at 21:31, useless said:

He was nowhere near as technically limited as many made out, the cruel charge that he was more of a 100m sprinter than a footballer was always ridiculous to me. At a different club under a more progressive club he might have gone on to have an even better career.

I think it came from one of the coaches at the time who said when he joined the academy he was just a runner and could barely kick a ball. Which was nonsense.

I was in the same school as him and even in 30 v 30 games in the playground he was dribbling and skilling 18 kids for fun and scoring goals.

• Like 3

On 26/04/2020 at 03:49, PaulC said:

When he was at his peak, Gabby always seemed to run out of steam by march and ended with 12 goals in a season when he could easily have reached 20. Always did well at Arsenal from memory. 

From memory he scored 12 goals 6 seasons before his last and 12 total in the following 5 seasons

He hit double figures in four consecutive premier league seasons. People are right in saying he should've gone on and hit at least 15 but it was still one in three record. Would've been more if instance if he'd taken a few penalties like Carew did in that period.

John John Carew was actually the opposite from memory, would start seasons slowly then pick up an injury in the middle then in last 10 games would be averaging nearly a goal a game, always ended seasons strongly but still hit roughly the same goal return Gabby did in the league.

Let's not forget he wasn't just a penalty box predator like say Darren Bent, he was crucial to our play in final third in stretching defences and getting more space to open up for Young to get crosses into.

Anyway he's popping up pretty reguarly on Talksport now. No great insight but looks like he's going down that tried and tested route for his post playing career.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

People talking about Gabby later in his career, when he was dangerous even if limited.

IMO if he didn't come through with O'Neill as first team manager I don't think he'd have ever got the chance to get the games and improve.

Â