Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I remember thinking back in the day when Arsenal were allegedly sniffing around how I wish they would go away informally and hoping we had someone who would kick around forever like Steve Bull.

I kinda came to regret that near the end. So maybe it's a lesson in being careful what you wish for.

However this is tempered slightly by the things Jack says about Gabby being his idol.

If he ends up being a role model for Jack to follow suit then I'll get over it very quickly.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He has Martin O'Neill to thank for the very many millions of pounds he's earned.

Many other managers would have got rid the second they saw he couldn't trap a bag of cement.

He had talent... just never utilised it fully

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

you certainly wouldn't get Man City " standing off " like that today.

The goals were taken well.....but they always are when the opposition fails to get a foot in.

Gabby was capable of those things, but as soon as players got in his face....he was rumbled....and the barren runs would take over....He prospered in the main from having Ashley Young in the team.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

I remember thinking back in the day when Arsenal were allegedly sniffing around how I wish they would go away informally and hoping we had someone who would kick around forever like Steve Bull.

I kinda came to regret that near the end. So maybe it's a lesson in being careful what you wish for.

However this is tempered slightly by the things Jack says about Gabby being his idol.

If he ends up being a role model for Jack to follow suit then I'll get over it very quickly.

Wenger had a dream of Walcott down the right, Gabby the left and Bentdner up top

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He has Martin O'Neill to thank for the very many millions of pounds he's earned.

Many other managers would have got rid the second they saw he couldn't trap a bag of cement.

In many ways MON was also the architect of Gabby’s demise..... not only did he put him on a massive contract, he got him to bulk up trying to change his style. Houllier when he came in tried to get Gabby to stop bulking up and going back to using his speed. Gabby declined, as did his career.

Still on his day he was great for us, I’m sure because of his goals he would’ve been an idle for some younger fans when they started supporting Villa (we all have that person, Deano was mine). 

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

As much as I hate O'Neill, Gabby was here for 8 years after he left.  He signed 2 contracts after that

What shitty run club

• Like 2

I've got some fond memories of Gabby, but I can't help but think his retirement is more about nobody offering him another job than it is about not wanting to play for anyone other than Villa!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrDuck said:

I've got some fond memories of Gabby, but I can't help but think his retirement is more about nobody offering him another job than it is about not wanting to play for anyone other than Villa!

If it really was about that he would have retired immediately after being released.

I know people dismiss it but outside the club he is the person neutrals would remember when thinking of club in last 15 years or so. 

Even today people would ask if he still gets a game

On 28/03/2019 at 18:27, Xela said:

I honestly don't believe he had much talent other than being very fast - as others have stated his ball control was poor, decision making shocking, football craft zero - it's well documented that club coaches at the time decided to take a punt on his speed as a youngster.

A very lucky man to have secured the wealth he has - on very little ability in my opinion.

Houllier and Roy Keane saw right through the guy.

If he wasn't a villa fan - he would have been shown the door a long time ago.

I have always stuck up for Paul Lambert as I feel Learner shafted him  - but I do believe he was in awe of Gabby for some reason - just why is simply beyond me.

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He should have got back into the England team near the end of 2012/2013. That was a renaissance for him, but just like Villa he just fell away.

didnt he refuse a call up?

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Roy Keane is not really the best person to trust for character judgement

Character never comes into it - Keane just saw right through him as a very ordinary footballer

Â