Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I can't help but have a niggling feeling that Gabby is behind many of the problems we have behind the scenes with the squad, team selection and assistants.

Just speculation of course...

He's Captain for the exact opposite of this - if you listen to other players speak about him, or listen to people who know players speak about the team, he's well liked by the players, he's someone that will stick up for them, he's noisy, a joker and the kind of man that keeps spirits up in the camp. He's not the brightest, and his form's been awful for a long time - he may never get it back - but I don't think it's fair to saddle him with this sort of stuff just because people have fallen out with him.

Fair enough the players like, althou not necessarily the best reason to be make captain. But as this was just for 1 game i don't really care.

The point was that ever since MON I've had the feeling that the players run the club and that when anyone tries to change this it all goes tits up.

Gabby's been here the whole time and is now our longest serving player.

It's only natural if he's a vocal and popular voice in the dressingroom and even more so if he stands up for the players against managers or assistants who want's to change things or demands more. Not sure that's in the best interest of the club thou.

Gabby's having a cozy life picking up massive wages, playing every week without ever having to perform, not sure he has it in him to accept that changing so if and when a new manager comes in I don't wan't him to have to deal with Gabby.

Once again, all speculation, not ITK, just explaining why i feel the way i do about Gabby atm. Used to really like him during the MONdays

• Like 2

The fact that "he's a local lad" has helped Gabby immensely

How so?

Genuinely I'm interested.

Well it's saved him a hell of a lot of stick from the fans for a start. I honestly believe hes been nothing short of a disgrace for 3/4 years now.

He's never cared anymore than anyone else. He literally must piss himself at his wage slip, knowing where a lot of the money is coming from. I know I would!

Have you read this thread? He gets more stick than just about anyone else at the club! 

Now he might or might not deserve it, but being a Villa fan has never stopped it happening.

I think along with lee Hendrie he has led a charmed aston villa life.

Most of my favourite players over the years have never been villa fans with perhaps Shaw & Taylor being the exceptions.

Edited by TRO

Unbelievable that this is the same player that scored a perfect hat trick in 7 minutes against Man City some 6 years ago.

..........Perhaps we/he is due for another then.

Edited by TRO

Unbelievable that this is the same player that scored a perfect hat trick in 7 minutes against Man City some 6 years ago.

If you think about it, he's not really the same player he was six years ago , especially when you take into account that his main , if not , only asset is pace .

He's turned into a carrier bag with one handle and a hole in the bottom!  It's time to get rid!!  I would drop him to the reserves!!  All this talk of him being a "potential goal threat" its all bollocks!!  The opposition no exactly what there getting from him runs very fast into nowhere, can't control the ball, has no vision or anticipation and moans a lot!  That sums him up and he also vanishes from games so much you wonder if he's on the pitch at all!!!!!!!! 

• Like 4

Only recently has the criticism began and only a few weeks ago some people said he was a 'victim'!!

Read the first page of the thread - page one, post one of this thread is a response to criticism of Gabby by someone after a period where he'd shown a bit of form - this thread is two and a half years old. He's been getting stick consistently for about four years. Now, the fact that he's been consistently getting stick for years probably suggests he deserves it - but it also should clear up the nonsense about him being immune to criticism because he's a Villa fan.

He's turned into a carrier bag with one handle and a hole in the bottom!  It's time to get rid!!  I would drop him to the reserves!!  All this talk of him being a "potential goal threat" its all bollocks!!  The opposition no exactly what there getting from him runs very fast into nowhere, can't control the ball, has no vision or anticipation and moans a lot!  That sums him up and he also vanishes from games so much you wonder if he's on the pitch at all!!!!!!!! 

I am not happy to agree with you but I DO.....I actually think Gabby is the perfect epitome of what is wrong with Aston Villa football club.

his poor performance should not of ever been allowed to fester for as long as it it has....and whilst I am not directly blaming him, the management of him has been simply shocking

He was once compared with Defoe as a young and up and coming player....look at the goal scoring stats and you will see there was never a sensible comparison at all.

most of his supporters cut him slack by saying he is not an out and out striker, that for me is poppy cock, like a saying a defender that is not great at defending but likes to go forward and does concede goals....well he ain't a very good one in my book.

gabby for me has never done what it says on the tin.....and the tin doesn't say, i cover the walls now and again.

• Like 1

Apart from being a potential threat (which is rather different from being an actual threat) on the counter, I fail to see what he adds to the team. His finishing is poor and he has a low goal scoring record. He doesn't create chances for himself or for his team mates, his first touch and ball control are dreadful and that results in slowing our attack or us losing posession. He isn't particularly good in the air. He doesn't work as a target man.

People argue that he forces teams to play deeper because of his pace, but given our non-existent ability to create chances that hardly plays to our advantage, does it?

If the only argument in his favour is that he tracks back and helps us defend we might as well play a fullback in his position. At least a fullback would (in theory) provide some crosses, which would at least be a starting point...

• Like 1

Only recently has the criticism began and only a few weeks ago some people said he was a 'victim'!!

Read the first page of the thread - page one, post one of this thread is a response to criticism of Gabby by someone after a period where he'd shown a bit of form - this thread is two and a half years old. He's been getting stick consistently for about four years. Now, the fact that he's been consistently getting stick for years probably suggests he deserves it - but it also should clear up the nonsense about him being immune to criticism because he's a Villa fan.

I've never said he was immune to criticism. I merely put that he has escaped a lot, and he has. Only recently, has the majority began to criticise him heavily/in correlation to his performances.

He used to have a lot of fans because of his derby winner/important goals.

There's absolutely no way that he's receiving the same criticism now, to that of 2 1/2 years, yet I don't believe his performances are any worse now.

Â