Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

He's never taken or scored a penalty for us in the league.

I now it's easy to take pot shots at him nowadays and he certainly dosen't produce much beyond a handful of games but looking back he was still getting criticised in the O'Neill days for not scoring enough despite being a very integral part of the day.

He kept on managing double figures without ever taking a single penalty for us as that can be a very nice way for forwards to boost their scoring tallies without much workrate....Darren Bent and Carew to name two.

He's never taken or scored a penalty for us in the league.

I now it's easy to take pot shots at him nowadays and he certainly dosen't produce much beyond a handful of games but looking back he was still getting criticised in the O'Neill days for not scoring enough despite being a very integral part of the day.

He kept on managing double figures without ever taking a single penalty for us as that can be a very nice way for forwards to boost their scoring tallies without much workrate....Darren Bent and Carew to name two.

Carew only scored 2 penalties for us as Barry and Milner were ahead if him in pecking order

From memory I'm sure he took quite a few in 09/10 when he was on the decline in general play but still had a reasonably goal ratio.

Just checked...he actually took 6 pens for us that season. Scored 2 in the cup v Palace, one against Reading which was a hattrick, One against Hull right at the end of the game and one against Blackburn in our endless cup games against them in that period. He missed v Pompey in the league. The Newcastle moon landing attempt occured the following season.

He actually scored 17 in all competitions that season which suprised me but 5 of the were pens so pretty much a third to boost his tally.

What I'm trying to say...Darren Bent can go on about his 100 prem goals but when at a guess a good 30 have been pens dosen't that lessen it just a shade...seeing as Gabby for all his faults has scored his 70 odd all from open play.

I'm sure if he'd wanted to take penalties for us he wouldn't actually be far off 100 goals now.

From memory I'm sure he took quite a few in 09/10 when he was on the decline in general play but still had a reasonably goal ratio.

Just checked...he actually took 6 pens for us that season. Scored 2 in the cup v Palace, one against Reading which was a hattrick, One against Hull right at the end of the game and one against Blackburn in our endless cup games against them in that period. He missed v Pompey in the league. The Newcastle moon landing attempt occured the following season.

He actually scored 17 in all competitions that season which suprised me but 5 of the were pens so pretty much a third to boost his tally.

What I'm trying to say...Darren Bent can go on about his 100 prem goals but when at a guess a good 30 have been pens dosen't that lessen it just a shade...seeing as Gabby for all his faults has scored his 70 odd all from open play.

I'm sure if he'd wanted to take penalties for us he wouldn't actually be far off 100 goals now.

Considering we average about 1.5 penalties a season these days, I'm not sure that's true.

Â