Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

All 5 of them managers had utter dross up top to work with in the most part. There was never any competition because we settled for the mediocrity we had.

Gabby is what? Our top premier league goalscorer with what, 62, 63 (can't remember exactly), but it's woeful for a forward.

It says more about the mediocrity of the club over the premier league years than gabby's woefulness, though both are clearly evident!

I used to always be able to stick up for villa and the players when we weve been pinpointed as a bit of a laughing stock by media and pundits or when we put together hopeless runs in form. To be quite honest though, for a while now I've not been even able to convince myself there are any positives.

Mark lawrenson made a comment, I think it was during the Ipswich saints game where the commentator said, 'who does play with 2 strikers nowadays'. Lawro replied with 'certainly not aston villa'. A totally unnecessary comment that would normally piss me off, but non villa fans are probably sick of the sight of us now as well. Were probably viewed like stoke were under pulis as a disgusting excuse for a football team.

And it's players like gabby that have played a huge part in creating that image.

Rant over ;)

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 1

Only Lambert could have Gabby as a nailed on cert in his team. He does not score or assist, what on earth he brings to the table only Lambert knows.

Only Lambert (and O'Neill, and MacDonald, and Houllier, and McAllister, and McLeish)

He wasn't a nailed on starter under Houllier or McAllister.

Well he was injured for a lot of the first half of that season and still made 26 appearances, so I'd suggest he certainly featured heavily.

And the point is what? We weren't very good then, although i would admit better than the current side which is not that much of a recommendation. In my humble opinion it's time to dump him and the whole Mr Aston Villa nonsense once and for all and move on. Weimann ain't the answer either long term we all know this much, but short term the energy and tenacity that he displays and the pure and simple fact he is a better goalscorer  clearly outweighs anything Gabby brings to the team. just do it 

• Like 1

Gabby only really works when the team is set up to play counter attacking football a large percentage of the goals we scored last season were from counter attacking plays however playing like that invited way too much pressure and we were leaking goals left right and center. I like gabby he is a great servent to the club but if this new system that lambert is using is going to work im afraid he is going to be dropped as he does not fit that style of play.

Houllier knew this hence why he didn't play as much under him and we can't go back to counter attacking play because not only is it horrible to watch (maybe not a shit as the sideways passing) but teams sussed us out and learnt how to beat it. Unfortunatly gabby and weimans positions are  vital for the system to work and im afraid they just don't work.

Yeah, but in a good way!

I see this type of thing all the time (As I have also seen with other players) where finally he is missing then you get the few "We were really missing him today, now I see what he brings to the team" etc..  :unsure:

Only Lambert could have Gabby as a nailed on cert in his team. He does not score or assist, what on earth he brings to the table only Lambert knows.

Only Lambert (and O'Neill, and MacDonald, and Houllier, and McAllister, and McLeish)

Well he was injured for a lot of the first half of that season and still made 26 appearances, so I'd suggest he certainly featured heavily.

And the point is what? We weren't very good then, although i would admit better than the current side which is not that much of a recommendation. In my humble opinion it's time to dump him and the whole Mr Aston Villa nonsense once and for all and move on. Weimann ain't the answer either long term we all know this much, but short term the energy and tenacity that he displays and the pure and simple fact he is a better goalscorer clearly outweighs anything Gabby brings to the team. just do it
The point is Lambert isn't the only manager to play gabby a lot.

So claiming "only Lambert" would have Gabby in his team is clearly bollocks.

Edited by Stevo985

And the point is what? We weren't very good then, although i would admit better than the current side which is not that much of a recommendation. In my humble opinion it's time to dump him and the whole Mr Aston Villa nonsense once and for all and move on. Weimann ain't the answer either long term we all know this much, but short term the energy and tenacity that he displays and the pure and simple fact he is a better goalscorer clearly outweighs anything Gabby brings to the team. just do it

Stevo985.

Is your point that because other managers picked him, this then must make him a good player? My view is that we weren't much of a team under anyone other than MON, consequently this is clearly in no way any type of endorsement of him as a footballer in my view. As i said before in my humble opinion lets drop the whole Mr Aston Villa/He's a fan nonsense and ship him out. He's just not very good! 

As i said before in my humble opinion lets drop the whole Mr Aston Villa/He's a fan nonsense and ship him out. He's just not very good! 

The only time I've ever seen this claim is by people making the claim that other people have made the claim. It's a strange one.

He is in a complete and utter comfort Zone .....and it shows and furthermore his weaponry has been grossly overrated over the years.

He is a limited Player, that some quite rightly say only comes alive in a team with a strong counter attacking reliance.

Edited by TRO

He is in a complete and utter comfort Zone .....and it shows

Id agree - he needs a shake, for his own benefit as much as ours.

No, he needs to be dropped for our benefit.

Maybe, whatever it takes to get him back onto the right path, he's capable of better than he's giving right now. I'm not sure you could say the same for some of those that would come into the team - I'd sooner have this Gabby than N'Zogbia for example, and the only other option at the moment is Grealish - Gabby is one of those players that will always be as good s he needs to be to stay in the team, when we're good, he's good - when we're not, he's not. At the moment there isn't enough pressure on him.

Stevo985.

Is your point that because other managers picked him, this then must make him a good player? My view is that we weren't much of a team under anyone other than MON, consequently this is clearly in no way any type of endorsement of him as a footballer in my view. As i said before in my humble opinion lets drop the whole Mr Aston Villa/He's a fan nonsense and ship him out. He's just not very good!

No. Where did I say that?

My point was exactly what I said it was.

I was responding to Pooligan saying "only Lambert" would have gabby as a starter in his team (or along those lines).

Which is obviously not true as every manager we've had since gabby broke through has had him as a starter.

I think Gabby should be a squad player, but that doesn't mean I'll make false statements about our manager

Â