Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Moaning at people for not being positive about this is ridiculous.

He's bang average, performs one in 10 and earns too much money. (Not that i really care about how much he's on, but it stops us being able to give the money to better players).

I 1000% believe that if he wasn't a Villa fan he would have been gone years ago. The problem is that he has no technical ability, all he has is pace, literally. And yes you can say 'he does have the pace though', but should we really be paying £50 a week for a sprinter because he's a Villa fan?

League 1 ability with the body of a high class sprinter. Sadly that's enough apparently, because 'he's Villa through and through.

Damn straight it's enough

He's bang average, performs one in 10 and earns too much money. (Not that i really care about how much he's on, but it stops us being able to give the money to better players).

I 1000% believe that if he wasn't a Villa fan he would have been gone years ago. The problem is that he has no technical ability, all he has is pace, literally. And yes you can say 'he does have the pace though', but should we really be paying £50 a week for a sprinter because he's a Villa fan?

League 1 ability with the body of a high class sprinter. Sadly that's enough apparently, because 'he's Villa through and through.

Gabby might not be the most technically gifted player but he definitely does have ability. Its just his inability to use it consistently thats the issue.

• Like 1

If he's accepted lower wages, then I'm happy he's signed, and look forward to him ending his career here. If he's still one of our higher earners, then I don't think it represents his value to the team and isn't great news.

He's inconsistent and frustrating.

Maybe he shouldn't be a definite starter, but he's still a good player to have in the squad.

Pleased for him that he's got his new deal. Hope he hits some consistent form again soon.

• Like 1

It's amazing how people don't see the effect he has more than his simple goals and assist rates in our team. By having him in our side opponents fear pace and counter attack so sit slightly deeper to defend. Not giving space for him to run into. Which means we can then set up accordingly. Midfield is closer to their defence, we've some guile now with Grealish and Cole. Set piece threat with N'Zogbia, Westwood. Plus Senderos with Vlaar and Benteke or Kozak poses a big danger from set pieces in the box.

If we had no pace threat a defence will play a higher line. Meaning more ground to work through to get to goal.

Gabby is invaluable to us.

Totally agree with the above.

If you judge Gabby solely on his goal scoring record then you'd say its not too impressive for a striker. However he has played way over half his games for us out wide and therefore his goalscoring return is decent. He has also scored some vital goals for us, scored against all the top sides and also had a knack for scoring against Sha.

I totally agree with the quote excellent posts quoted above, apologies for cutting them short but I agreed with every word of them.

Just to add, above and beyond these very good posts on Gabby there is another wider point and that is with reference to the club and the way its been run by its managers and those above namely Faulkner and Lerner.

For the entire duration of Lerner's ownership we've run on an unsustainable model, first one of over spending and then one of what I consider to be underspending. 

One of the consequences of these things has been what at times has seemed like a procession of players (some that we've signed and others we've developed) leaving on free transfers. The money lost on these players in the last 4 years is simply staggering, yes I know that players values decrease over the duration of contracts and that is covered in the accounts. But players registrations are still one of the biggest assets any club has and as a club we can't keep giving players away.

For far too long we've allowed our players contracts to dwindle down and either willingly let them leave to get them off the wage bill or we've left ourselves in a vulnerable position when other clubs come calling. We lost Barry and Young with 12 months to go on deals, although we did well (to varying extents) to get what we got for them I don't think many clubs would have allowed the contracts to get to that stage.

Right now we have the situations with Delph, Vlaar and Bent who are in the last 12 months of their deals and that is a dangerous position for a club of our limited resources. (I'm kidding on Bent obviously).

While I understand some of the reactions to Gabby's deal even if I don't agree with them I still see his signing as a positive step even if I think 3 years would have been more prudent than 4.

The club is in no position to let a player like Gabby leave for free, whatever his limitations and no matter how reluctant he would be to exercise his right under the Bosman ruling. 

There appears to be no takeover in sight, in fact there doesn't even seem to be any seriously interested parties (despite the constant theories and rumours doing the rounds). As such we have limited resources both in terms of transfer fee's and wages so I think its good news we are keeping Gabby rather than trying to replace him next summer as well as the various other players we will need/want.

Further, given the current state of limbo regarding Lerner's ownership I take it as a small signal of intent that he is willing to make good on his promise of getting back to the business of running the club. You won't find me being complimentary to Lerner* very often but it seems to me he is at least being true to his word with the appointment of Fox and this contract renewal, it seems we aren't going to just drift entirely as a club until some rich chap fancies a new play thing.

Obviously Gabby signing doesn't necessarily mean that the other players and indeed Lambert himself will sign new deals but at least it suggests that the club is going to try and get them to. Which if I'm entirely honest about is something I've seriously doubted in recent weeks for one reason or another.

So even if Gabby doesn't score as many as we would like and the deal is perhaps a year too long I'm very much with the two chaps quoted above in regards to his importance on the pitch. While off it I also think its a positive development.

(*Please note I shall revert to my default position on Lerner within the next 2-3 hours)

Genuine question, for you, Mark and CV...

If Gabby has signed a new four year contract on the same wages as before (rumoured to be between 50-60k a week), do you all still believe this is a good thing for the club given our current financial constraints?

(Obviously there's the chance he's taken a pay cut, but that's unlikely imo)

Edited by PieFacE

Say what you like about his ability it is refreshing to see in the modern game a player show some loyalty, especially if he took a paycut as is being rumoured. 

This.

He is frustrating but can be brilliant as well and as Gillz said so well he has shown loyalty to Villa.

One down 3 to go.

Obviously Gabby signing doesn't necessarily mean that the other players and indeed Lambert himself will sign new deals but at least it suggests that the club is going to try and get them to. Which if I'm entirely honest about is something I've seriously doubted in recent weeks for one reason or another.

So even if Gabby doesn't score as many as we would like and the deal is perhaps a year too long I'm very much with the two chaps quoted above in regards to his importance on the pitch. While off it I also think its a positive development.

Sorry to cut your post short with the quote.

It's too easy to point the finger of blame directly at the club/Lerner for players leaving. It conveniently rules out that players do not sign contract extensions on purpose - usually on advice from their agents. This is almost certainly the case for the 2 examples you used: Young and Barry. Both no longer wanted to be here (Barry in particular - he even penned an "open letter" about it).

That leaves the club with a tough choice:

- stand fast and get the most out of them till their contract expires and they leave anyway,  or

- let them go earlier and hold the other club to ransom on transfer fees.

We did a very good job of the latter, which is the right choice imo. It's very hard to get the best out of a player that doesn't want to be here.

Alternatively, if you were a player that either loves the club or has nobody else interested in you, then you'd happily negotiate for the best deal you could get with your current club. Gabby fits into this category (which is a good thing for us).

TLDR: Lerner is doing nothing special when it comes to player transfers. Every other club (bar the very very top clubs) has the same issue and handles it the same way.

League one ability? Do you even Football?

• Like 1

The guy is loyal, and has scored 79 in 320 for us, playing half the time on the wing. I'm glad he's signed a new deal. He's no Benteke, but if he was then we'd have had to sell him years ago anyway.

Â