Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I'll admit that at times I've been less than impressed with some of Gabby's efforts over the last few years, but he's somehow part of the fixtures and fittings at the club. And he's ours, a proper Brummie.

He's like a pipe and an old pair of (turbocharged) slippers.

I get the feeling that we probably could replace his ability but could we replace hs stature within the club? Perhaps not

Despite my frustrations with him in the past I still couldn't bear the thought of him playing for anyone else is, and so it would seem neither can he, I'm happy with that

• Like 2

You will always get a divided camp on gabby.

I am always dubious when fans defend a player by citing sort of intangibles......I remember discussing vassell with a fan on one occasion and he cited that vassell ran the channels tirelessly.....I said I'm sorry, I'm looking for a bit more than that at this level.

Gabby,s ok, but c5 goals a season would'nt get me falling over my bootlaces to improve his contract.

As for his influence in the dressing room......I don't buy that one.

Roy Keane yes.....John Terry yes......Dennis Mortimer yes....Andy Gray yes

Gabby is not in that sort of company in terms of dressing room influence....sorry.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Gabby,s ok, but c5 goals a season would'nt get me falling over my bootlaces to improve his contract.

Its a little better than that in all fairness. 79 goals in 289 starts is better than 1 goal in every 4 games. More than decent for a player who has played way over half his games for us out wide.

I think too many fans fall into the trap of judging Gabby as a centre forward and solely on his goalscoring record. If you do that then yes there is an argument that he has not delivered. It is not a fair criticism though given that he more often than not been played out wide and in doing so created space for others, created goals, and worked his bollocks off in helping out defensively and putting a shift in for the good of the team.

Gabby is no world beater even his biggest fans would acknowledge that. He is comfortably good enough for where we are at the moment though and beyond that I think could again hold his own in a side competing for a top 6/7/8th place finish. He proved he could when he more than held his own in a side that was doing so not so long ago.

Edited by markavfc40

How can you possibly know what his presence is like in the dressing room?

Some people are leaders in a different way, you don't have to lead by example these days to be popular and therefore influential

Equally how can others....just my opinion, as it is their opinion that he is influential.

Its a little better than that in all fairness. 79 goals in 289 starts is better than 1 goal in every 4 games. More than decent for a player who has played way over half his games for us out wide.

I think too many fans fall into the trap of judging Gabby as a centre forward and solely on his goalscoring record. If you do that then yes there is an argument that he has not delivered. It is not a fair criticism though given that he more often than not has been played out wide and in doing so created space for others, created goals, and worked his bollocks off in helping out defensively and putting a shift in for the good of the team.

Gabby is no world beater even his biggest fans would acknowledge that. He is comfortably good enough for where we are at the moment though and beyond that I think could again hold his own in a side competing for a top 6/7/8th place finish. He proved he could when he more than held his own in a side that was doing so not so long ago.

Mark, I just about agree on nearly everything you write, because your arguments are rounded and balanced and this one is no exception.

I have no enjoyment in making a case against gabby....I am just not as convinced as you are in his overall game.

He has scored a good haul of goals for the club, but sheer numbers is only part of the story.....match winning goals are rarely recorded like shearer and dalglish mustered, or even our own Andy Gray.....they get one when you need one....Dwight was a bit like that too...match winners.

Gabby has scored as many goals as previous players of the club who I don't think he was as good as.

He works hard in games and equally I have seen him not work so hard....albeit, could be said about many players I guess.

I do see what the pro camp see....just like him, not mad about him, I guess he is just not my cup of tea like Gray, little, Shaw, platt was.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

How can you possibly know what his presence is like in the dressing room?

Some people are leaders in a different way, you don't have to lead by example these days to be popular and therefore influential

I always thought the same, he just didn't seem the type, but I've heard a few players say now that he's quite the big character in the dressing room, and I remember Lambert saying it last season too. Apparently he's a bit of a practical joker, and always good for keeping the lads spirits up.

Genuine question, for you, Mark and CV...

If Gabby has signed a new four year contract on the same wages as before (rumoured to be between 50-60k a week), do you all still believe this is a good thing for the club given our current financial constraints?

(Obviously there's the chance he's taken a pay cut, but that's unlikely imo)

Looking at the alternative then yes I think so. He has signed a 4 year contract, effectively a 3 year extension, over those 3 years at 50k a week that is 7.5 million in wages providing he stays for the length of his contract.

For that you are getting a player who is in what is usually considered the peak years of a footballer, a player who has vast experience in the Premier League, a player who has proven he can scare the life out of the best defenders in the league, a player who even when not in the best of form will put a shift in and by his very presence allows others more space and a player who has banged in almost 80 goals for us having played way over half his games out wide. A player who is also a big influence in the dressing room and has captained the club.

To buy a player of Gabbys age, top flight experience and proven pedigree is going to cost you a hell of a lot more than the approx 7.5 mill this contract extension will likely have cost us

I'm surprised how many don't have this opinion. In my best Mark Lawrenson impression, its a no brainer! (and I'm not referring to Gabby being a bit dim)

Sure he's frustrating and even more so in the last 12months but try and buy someone better for £7.5 (if that figure is right) Its obviously possible as you only have to look at Benteke but you would definitely struggle and you've still got to pay their wages on top of that. It's still value if we progress and he's only making the bench.

• Like 1

Â